PDA

View Full Version : CA Assault Weapon registration at PMO

ocabj
11-04-2008, 4:08 PM
Just an FYI:

If you are registering a firearm that happens to be classified as an "Assault Weapon" in California with the Provost Marshall Office, you MUST have your CA Assault Weapon registration confirmation letter.

The reason why I can say this is because I drove down to Camp Pendleton this morning and ended up not getting my AR registered in the PMO system because I didn't bring my CA DOJ letter.

I adjusted the content on the SMGC website to reflect this information.

Martin Tardif
11-04-2008, 6:56 PM
ocabj,
How does one pre-register for a match? Is it exclusively snail mail or is there someone I can email? I've emailed from the website contact page and not received a response. I am waiting on emails sent to Trevor, John L. and Matt. Is there an easier way to do this?
Thanks,
Martin

Matt C
11-04-2008, 7:18 PM
If I was working the desk and you came in to register your AR I would laugh at you.

anglicomarine
11-04-2008, 7:24 PM
If I was working the desk and you came in to register your AR I would laugh at you.

It's unfortunate, but if you want to shoot aboard base as a civilian (like me as of two months ago) that's what you gotta do.

ocabj
11-04-2008, 7:31 PM

You work at the PMO?

anglicomarine
11-04-2008, 7:37 PM
He lives in LA and was in the Army.

ocabj
11-04-2008, 7:41 PM
ocabj,
How does one pre-register for a match? Is it exclusively snail mail or is there someone I can email? I've emailed from the website contact page and not received a response. I am waiting on emails sent to Trevor, John L. and Matt. Is there an easier way to do this?
Thanks,
Martin

Oh. Sorry about that. I actually took over the site which is why it's changed to a new backend (and look). I'm technically the only one monitoring emails since the email boxes were created on a new host and I haven't been in contact with anyone in the club so I can forward those mails to the appropriate personnel.

I'll have to go in and write a catch all filter to forward everything to me in the meantime.

Anyway, "pre-registration" used to be fine by just emailing Matt K.

The pre-registration procedures now are simply due to the fact that they have to get all competitors in the Camp Pendleton system prior to a specific day's event (from what I understand). If you've ever been to Pendleton the past couple months, you'll notice that they swipe your CDL through a magstrip reader at the gate to run a background check. If you don't show up in the system as a guest for that day, supposedly they won't let you in.

If you emailed Trever, John, and Matt directly (assuming you have their personal non-santamargaritagunclub.org email addresses), then you should be fine.

Another odd thing about my role in the club is that I'm not really a full/regular member of the club. I just happen to shoot the matches all the time, and I offered to revamp their website for free.

I plan on being at the Across the Course this Saturday because I need to talk to club officials about the email forwarding and getting clear, concise, and accurate information/content to populate the website.

I probably have to go to a club meeting whenever the next one is, too.

Martin: Could you PM me the addresses for Matt/Trever/JohnH you emailed directly so I can gauge if you actually reached them?

JHermsen
11-06-2008, 11:41 AM

Why? Do you have Tourette's Syndrome....

Matt C
11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
You work at the PMO?

Not currently but plenty of times. Sadly I think most soldiers who work the desk would either be unsure what to do (the majority) or try to figure how you might be doing something illegal. Of course the MC might be different.

Anyways, I guess I missed that this is for some match that you guys are competing in as civvies. People do register guns on post and store them in the armory (our or unit's) which I think is retarded.

GI-M1
11-11-2008, 8:39 AM
Are you allowed to use an OLL AR rifle for the Santa Margaretta matches?
Will the Marines allow you to bring it on base?

TIA

ocabj
11-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Are you allowed to use an OLL AR rifle for the Santa Margaretta matches?
Will the Marines allow you to bring it on base?

TIA

Yes and yes.

JHermsen
11-12-2008, 7:30 AM
OLL are allowed. No problem there.

John

JHermsen
11-14-2008, 6:35 PM
Please disregard the notices of registration of firearms to board Camp Pendleton.

This practice will no longer be necessary for competitors wishing to shoot aboard Camp Pendleton and it's Ranges with the Santa Margarita Gun Club.

We, the Board, are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused those diligent individuals that followed through and attempted, or succeeded in registering their firearms aboard Base.

For our infrequent competitors it will still be necessary to preregister at least 72 hours in advance so that your data can be added to the "guest" list for access to the Base. This will only apply to non DoD personnel however.

Thank you for your support.

SMGC Board of Directors

Matt C
11-14-2008, 7:52 PM
Please disregard the notices of registration of firearms to board Camp Pendleton.

This practice will no longer be necessary for competitors wishing to shoot aboard Camp Pendleton and it's Ranges with the Santa Margarita Gun Club.

We, the Board, are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused those diligent individuals that followed through and attempted, or succeeded in registering their firearms aboard Base.

For our infrequent competitors it will still be necessary to preregister at least 72 hours in advance so that your data can be added to the "guest" list for access to the Base. This will only apply to non DoD personnel however.

Thank you for your support.

SMGC Board of Directors

Heh, I bet some people got laughed at...

ocabj
11-14-2008, 7:57 PM
Heh, I bet some people got laughed at...

No, the people at the CP PMO have a lot of respect for patrons, military and civilians alike.

JHermsen
11-15-2008, 8:43 AM
I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like Blackwater Ops has some baggage about being laughed at. We'll try not to tell any jokes around you. By the by have you thought of switching to Sanka?

anglicomarine
11-16-2008, 2:15 PM
I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like Blackwater Ops has some baggage about being laughed at. We'll try not to tell any jokes around you. By the by have you thought of switching to Sanka?

That's pretty good...

Austinla
12-10-2008, 9:58 AM
No, the people at the CP PMO have a lot of respect for patrons, military and civilians alike.

PMO having respect for someone? That's a new one...

Matt C
12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
PMO having respect for someone? That's a new one...

Maybe the Marines are different, after all they do get to wear shiny badges... Now us Army MPs, we don't need no stinkin badges...

Paratus et Vigilans
12-10-2008, 3:42 PM

That's been my experience too, and I'm not current or former .mil either.

Matt C
12-10-2008, 3:44 PM

More like I was on the other side of the Desk...

Larker
12-22-2008, 8:46 AM
Maybe the Marines are different, after all they do get to wear shiny badges... Now us Army MPs, we don't need no stinkin badges...

No... Just glow in the dark brassards... Thank God I never got in a fire fight on mids...