PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Brass

Not so Chapped Hide
01-28-2017, 8:12 AM
Someday finally arrived and getting ready to start reloading. I've sorted 18,000 rounds of 9, 45 & 223. I then sorted out all of my 9mm Freedom stepped brass, from what I've read it's not worth reloading. I'm now going through and sorting small and large primer 45.

I've got lots of 45 Freedom Munition cases and I'm curious if there's any reason to weed those out too? They don't appear to be any different and if anything, the inside of the cases appear to be cleaner than the other empties.

For use, I'm just loading range rounds and they will all be shot out of my LB Custom Carry. Will be loading my first batch w/ Win 231 and 200 gr RN Xtreme bullets.

Thanks

Dragginpanda
01-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Damn that's a lot of rounds to sort.

You could always try small batches and see how those rounds do.

Good luck

bigdawg86
01-28-2017, 12:13 PM
What's wrong with freedom brass?

DRM6000
01-28-2017, 1:30 PM
Why not load them separately?

Not so Chapped Hide
01-28-2017, 1:45 PM
What's wrong with freedom brass?

Not sure anything is wrong, just asking because of the 9mm brass they use and the method used to make it. Causes a step in the wall about a 1/3rd the way up and I've read it's not worth reloading because of issues with weak case walls. Wasn't sure if they used some hokey method of mfg with the 45 too. Brass looks decent though and most of it is once fired because when I was buying the stuff I was getting new loads and not remans.

Why not load them separately?

Because I'm getting tired of sorting, ugh. 18,000 rounds by caliber last weekend. Then I sorted 10,000 rounds of 9 to weed out the stepped ****. Now I'm sorting 5000 rounds of .45 to weed out the small primer stuff and half way through I'm wondering if I should be sorting out the FM stuff too.

I'm just gonna carry on, thanks for the advice guys.

pacrat
01-28-2017, 4:51 PM
Not sure anything is wrong, just asking because of the 9mm brass they use and the method used to make it. Causes a step in the wall about a 1/3rd the way up and I've read it's not worth reloading because of issues with weak case walls. Wasn't sure if they used some hokey method of mfg with the 45 too. Brass looks decent though and most of it is once fired because when I was buying the stuff I was getting new loads and not remans.

Because I'm getting tired of sorting, ugh. 18,000 rounds by caliber last weekend. Then I sorted 10,000 rounds of 9 to weed out the stepped ****. Now I'm sorting 5000 rounds of .45 to weed out the small primer stuff and half way through I'm wondering if I should be sorting out the FM stuff too.

I'm just gonna carry on, thanks for the advice guys.

The internally stepped 9mm, it has been repeatedly posted here, is highly prone to case failure at the step. The step creates a "shear point" that is overworked during the sizing/firing process. A smooth transition on the case interior does not have the "shear point" creating fatigue at that point. So smooth interior should be GTG no matter the headstamp.

JM2c..........Dude, you got your work cut out for you with all that sorting. ;)

West9319
01-29-2017, 6:53 AM
How much you want for the small primer brass?

ptmn
01-29-2017, 2:24 PM
I know sorting sucks, but there is good use for doing such and for the stepped 9mm and small primer 45.

The stepped 9mm is loadable and usually doesn't split on the first reload if it is with mild charges. You can load those separately and use them when you are shooting out in the forest or any time that you are not going to pick up your brass.

As for the small primer 45, you need to sort them anyways, so use them in the same manner as the stepped 9mm. That's what I do. No use letting them go to waste and no use losing your good brass.

Not so Chapped Hide
01-29-2017, 3:38 PM
The internally stepped 9mm, it has been repeatedly posted here, is highly prone to case failure at the step. The step creates a "shear point" that is overworked during the sizing/firing process. A smooth transition on the case interior does not have the "shear point" creating fatigue at that point. So smooth interior should be GTG no matter the headstamp.

JM2c..........Dude, you got your work cut out for you with all that sorting. ;)

Thanks, that what I was thinking. Ended up with about 4,000 stepped wall brass and about 6,500 good stuff. Half way through the .45 and I'm at about 2,000 LP and 500 Blazer SP.

I've got about 1,500 rounds of 9mm polished and visually checked and I'll have about 1,500 .45 done by the end of the night. I started off with Lyman corn cob and Dillon 290 and it polished the outside nice but the insides were still dirtier than ****. Switched to fine crushed walnut bird bedding and after only an hour, the first batch of .45 is almost spotless. Not as shiny as the corn cob but much cleaner. Just put in a little corn cob and a little polish.

I know sorting sucks, but there is good use for doing such and for the stepped 9mm and small primer 45.

The stepped 9mm is loadable and usually doesn't split on the first reload if it is with mild charges. You can load those separately and use them when you are shooting out in the forest or any time that you are not going to pick up your brass.

As for the small primer 45, you need to sort them anyways, so use them in the same manner as the stepped 9mm. That's what I do. No use letting them go to waste and no use losing your good brass.

Sounds like something I'm definitely going to consider. Can load up some cream puff loads for my boys. All the 9 is once fired by me and I hate to just toss 4k empties plus, we do lots of shooting at Sac Valley where my boys aren't the best at picking up brass. Also plan on loading the small primer stuff to but I shouldn't have more than 1K of those.

Thanks again for the input guys.

mindwreck
01-29-2017, 10:14 PM
I load the Freedoms stepped 9mm brass with my normal 9mm TG load and they have been holding up so far. I've stopped sorting them out, its just a waste of my time. shoots just the same.

I haven't noticed anything different about freedoms 45 cases compared to all other headstamps.

DragonDJ11
01-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Most of my .45 brass is freedom munitions and the majority are xtreme headstand. I've reloaded these cases multiple times and no issues

trackcage
02-01-2017, 11:45 AM
I put a black sharpie mark on the 9mm stepped brass so I know next time I shoot it, to just leave it. I don't load 'em particularly hot anyways.

FWIW, I've too heard that they are prone to case failure, but never experienced it myself (even when I used to reload them many a time).