View Full Version : nagants at burro canyon, OK now?

11-04-2008, 5:34 AM
after the recent southland showers that have been coming in and out the past 3 days, is it safe to say that nagants are on the OK now for burro canyon?

i was watching the news the other day and azuza was getting covered in rain. i can only guess this means open season on our milsurps. can anyone confirm?

ive got alot of ammo i need to use!

M. D. Van Norman
11-04-2008, 5:59 AM
Is it okay to use steel-core surplus ammunition? I assume that’s what you mean.

I was advised to call the range and ask. :)

11-04-2008, 6:45 AM
um, yes! see burro canyon doesnt allow steel core/mil surp ammo during the dry season. now that it has been raining... :)

i was hoping someone would answer so i didnt HAVE to call there!

11-04-2008, 7:56 AM
You'll have to call and check.

I called last week, asking about a range date I have planned, and they said no way unless we get some rain. And the guy said, it has to be a lot of rain, not just a day or two, before the fire danger status gets lifted by the US forest service.

I'd guess it's still no magnetic ammo based on the conversation I had and the small amount of rain we had, but it's certainly worth a call.

11-04-2008, 9:00 AM
I went there just this past Sunday. Many had the same question you did and the head honcho said NO to the manetic stuff. Keep it at home.

hack job
11-04-2008, 9:12 AM
I was there on sunday as well, and I shot my nagant ( but I have non mag ammo)

Flat Broke
11-04-2008, 9:18 AM
We were there Sunday, and if it rained, it was early in the morning. We were there until it closed, and not so much as a drop of rain. They were still checking for magnetic ammo. I had actually asked about steel targets being okay once they lift the fire restrictions, and he said yes, but didn't indicate when that would be.

BTW, there is Yugo surplus 7.62x54r available that is non-magnetic. Used some up there on Sunday. It was checked and passed. If you want to shoot your Mosin, you don't have to wait for them to remove the ammo restriction.

11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
So it's steel jackets making sparks they're afraid of, not wear on backstops? I had thought it was the latter.

11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
So it's steel jackets making sparks they're afraid of, not wear on backstops?

It's already sparked one fire this year...