PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss for .44 magnum light loads?

smle-man
01-27-2017, 7:43 PM
Anyone used Trail Boss powder for light .44 magnum loads with lead SWC bullets? The amount of space left with light charges of powder makes me nervous about proper powder ignition. Seems like Trail Boss will fill up the space and still give moderate velocities.

I know I can use .44 special cases but I like the idea of the full length cases to prevent fouling and lead build up in the chamber mouths in my revolver and lever action rifle.

Your experience?

357magnum
01-27-2017, 8:15 PM
I use Hodgdon HS-6 for light magnum loads in 44 mag and 357mag.
I also use magnum brass for all my loads.

MrElectric03
01-27-2017, 8:16 PM
I use a site called "steves reloading pages" for reference. He lists tons of loads but none for trail boss in .44 mag in any bullet weight. If he doesn't list it then it's probably not a good idea. I recall always being warned about light .44 mag loads as well with certain powders burn rates and would be careful with that.

'ol shooter
01-27-2017, 9:30 PM
Anyone used Trail Boss powder for light .44 magnum loads with lead SWC bullets? The amount of space left with light charges of powder makes me nervous about proper powder ignition. Seems like Trail Boss will fill up the space and still give moderate velocities.

I know I can use .44 special cases but I like the idea of the full length cases to prevent fouling and lead build up in the chamber mouths in my revolver and lever action rifle.

Your experience?

Titegroup is advertised as not position sensitive, and I have found that to be true for me. I use it in many handgun calibers, including light magnum loadings. I have used Trail Boss, it does fill up the case alright but I prefer the Titegroup.

rm1911
01-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Trail boss was designed for cowboy loads, large type cases with lead bullets. It's a bulky powder and kinda hard to screw up as long as you do not compress it. Do not compress it and you should have fun with it. And it works great with jacketed too. As long as you don't compress it.

I've only used it in reduced rifle loads where it's super fun.

CCrawford
01-27-2017, 11:27 PM
I have not used it in .44 Magnum, but have in .44 Special and it works fine. I load it by the volume rule and it has always worked, I have used it for lots of other cartridges as well. 60% to 100% by volume under the bullet with lead or plated bullets. IMR used to advises do not go under 60%. Since the rebrand to Hodgdon, have now moved that up to 70%. I guess at times 60% might not have enough power to exit the bullet from the barrel in all guns.

Read this about loading IMR (http://www..imrpowder.com/pdf/Trail-Boss-data.pdf) or Hodgdon (https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf).

At the online data center, Hodgdon (https://www.hodgdon.com/trail-boss/) lists loads for 165 (6.0 to 8.0), 185 (6.2 to 7.8), 200 (6.1 to 7.7), and 240 (6.0 to 7.3) grain bullets.

If you do not like the space under the bullet, fill the case more, just do not go over 100%. Be sure you measure properly to figure out the volume correctly (internal length minus depth of seated bullet, etc.) Measure twice, reload once? :p The loads will not be "Magnum" except for the marking on the brass.

Good luck
Criss

smle-man
01-28-2017, 8:14 AM
I have not used it in .44 Magnum, but have in .44 Special and it works fine. I load it by the volume rule and it has always worked, I have used it for lots of other cartridges as well. 60% to 100% by volume under the bullet with lead or plated bullets. IMR used to advises do not go under 60%. Since the rebrand to Hodgdon, have now moved that up to 70%. I guess at times 60% might not have enough power to exit the bullet from the barrel in all guns.

Read this about loading IMR (http://www..imrpowder.com/pdf/Trail-Boss-data.pdf) or Hodgdon (https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf).

At the online data center, Hodgdon (https://www.hodgdon.com/trail-boss/) lists loads for 165 (6.0 to 8.0), 185 (6.2 to 7.8), 200 (6.1 to 7.7), and 240 (6.0 to 7.3) grain bullets.

If you do not like the space under the bullet, fill the case more, just do not go over 100%. Be sure you measure properly to figure out the volume correctly (internal length minus depth of seated bullet, etc.) Measure twice, reload once? :p The loads will not be "Magnum" except for the marking on the brass.

Good luck
Criss

Great information and advice, thanks!

Carcassonne
01-28-2017, 8:47 AM
Trail Boss is awesome powder. There is a reason you cannot find it anywhere: People buy it up. You can use it in any caliber, but it will not cycle a semi-auto's action.

I use it for for 44 Mag/Spl and 38/357 loads - when I can find it.

Attached is some instructions on how to figure out the right load for your caliber and bullet combination.

Win231
01-28-2017, 9:30 AM

Your experience?

I've been using Trail Boss in 44 Mag. with lead and plated bullets. 8 - 9 grains generates 800-900 fps 240 gr. bullets. According to my Hornady Manual (7th Edition), 9.6 gr. is Maximum. 8.1 grains of Trail Boss fills a 44 Mag case near the top & I've never had any leading in both my S&W and Marlin. 50yd. & 100-yd. accuracy is incredible with this load.

smle-man
01-29-2017, 12:41 AM
I've been using Trail Boss in 44 Mag. with lead and plated bullets. 8 - 9 grains generates 800-900 fps 240 gr. bullets. According to my Hornady Manual (7th Edition), 9.6 gr. is Maximum. 8.1 grains of Trail Boss fills a 44 Mag case near the top & I've never had any leading in both my S&W and Marlin. 50yd. & 100-yd. accuracy is incredible with this load.

Thanks!

CGT80
01-29-2017, 1:31 AM
It works great in the 460 mag for soft loads. 10.0 grains under a 270 grain cast boolit will push it to 1,000 fps. It pushed a 150 grain jacketed bullet to 1,000 fps in the 30-06, which is very slow. 13.0 grains of Red Dot gave me more velocity.

I load trailboss to 70-100% of the air capacity of the case. Seating depth can change the capacity a bit. The 460 will hold more than 10.0 grains, but the hotter loads didn't seem to have any advantage.

For the 45 colt, I use red dot or HP-38/win 231 and herco is another good option. Bullseye might work, but that is getting into a scary area with load density. 6.5 grains of red dot is my 45 colt load with a 225 grain round nose 45acp bullet. There is a lot of air space but it works fine. Red Dot also works well in 30 cal rifle cases for light loads.

Some powders do fine with air space and some are not very position sensitive, while others will be. Powders such as H110/win 296 are not at all good with air space, but some people down load them buy seating the bullet deeper (I have never tried it). Trailboss is good to go.