PDA

View Full Version : Cheap OLL's?

Futurecollector
11-03-2008, 9:32 PM
Hello, so i am a new collector and i am superinterested in OLL's, i want to get one, and throw it in the safe for a rainy day (Just in case a stricter gun ban happens ill have one) so I am wondering how much they are going for, new or used, id like it to be under 200 but I dont know if i can get one for that cheap. so let me know what you all think!!!

freakshow10mm
11-03-2008, 9:34 PM
I'm going to have blemished Double Star lowers in stock later this week. $79.95. I put in an order for 30 of them.

Frijolito1988
11-03-2008, 9:37 PM
the averge price of them are $140-$160

workinwifdakids
11-03-2008, 9:56 PM
OK, so what does 'blemished' mean? Are we talking, "Gosh, I can almost see that if I turn it in the light?" Or, "Jesus, is that a firearms abortion?"

freakshow10mm
11-03-2008, 9:59 PM
Small scratch, some may have minor pitting, maybe stress marks from finishing.

Futurecollector
11-03-2008, 10:22 PM
ok ive read up on the whole OLL but im still a lil foggy, know what else goes into building the Lowers to attach the upper? also do i have to register the Lower? thanks...

domokun
11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
ok ive read up on the whole OLL but im still a lil foggy, know what else goes into building the Lowers to attach the upper? also do i have to register the Lower? thanks...

Please see the following post for more information.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1165997#post1165997

Assembly instructions for an OLL AR-15 lower can be found here: http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

No registration is needed because it is considered a long gun. California only requires registration of pistols.

Futurecollector
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
"The first big step is to purchase & DROS a good lower"

SO you do have to register a lower?

Frijolito1988
11-03-2008, 10:31 PM

YES , the lower is a firearm , it has a serial number you must dros the lower a gun shop , and if bough out of state probably pay around $75 in out of state transfer fees and dros

domokun
11-03-2008, 10:31 PM

DROS is not registration in CA, it's paperwork to do a background check. The only time the DROS acts as a firearms registration form is for handguns.

DROS = Dealer Record of Sale.

domokun
11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
If you want an inexpensive fully functioning OLL rifle, buy it used. See the for sale by private party section of this forum.

csmintel
11-03-2008, 10:34 PM
take advice form someone who knows.....don't get cheap lower. buy at $170-200 range. S&W - M&P15 lowers are one of the very top ones.

Jpach
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
hey freak, i see you have DPMS auto and burst sears. Just out of curiosity, if one were to put these in their AR would it then make the said AR able to fire in full auto/3rd burst?

Futurecollector
11-03-2008, 10:41 PM
So what manufactor is the good ones made by, the 150-200 dollar range? and those are the stripped lowers right?

freakshow10mm
11-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes. In order to process your order you will need to send me a copy of your Form 4 or SOT stamp.

Futurecollector
11-03-2008, 10:46 PM
so are the 80.00 OLLs really cheap? what can go wrong with them??

freakshow10mm
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
take advice form someone who knows.....don't get cheap lower. buy at $170-200 range. S&W - M&P15 lowers are one of the very top ones.
The same company that actually makes the lowers for companies that retail for $170-200 are the same exact lowers that retail for $100. If you want to pay $200 for a lower I can sell you a $200 lower. The same company that makes the $175 Bushmaster lower also makes the $100 Double Star lower.

I've said this a few times. I build AR15 for a living. I've built on about everything from Del Ton's retailing at $100 to POF and LMT at $200+. I have yet to notice a difference in quality. For any AR, the upper is where you spend the money, certainly not the lower.

domokun
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
so are the 80.00 OLLs really cheap? what can go wrong with them??

Poor craftsmanship/forging that results in slightly out of spec lowers or ones that are more prone to crack etc. Doublestar lowers are fine lowers. Please read the guide I linked earlier. It covers the differences between the different uppers and lowers and ones that you might want to avoid.

aplinker
11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
The same company that actually makes the lowers for companies that retail for $170-200 are the same exact lowers that retail for $100. If you want to pay $200 for a lower I can sell you a $200 lower. The same company that makes the $175 Bushmaster lower also makes the $100 Double Star lower.

I've said this a few times. I build AR15 for a living. I've built on about everything from Del Ton's retailing at $100 to POF and LMT at $200+. I have yet to notice a difference in quality. For any AR, the upper is where you spend the money, certainly not the lower.

Agreed.

A lower is a lower. As long as it's not Hesse or Vulcan, you're going to be fine. All makers have lemons, but they're all made from the same forgings by a handful of cutters. The differences are only in roll mark (logo) and finish (teflon or no).

Buy whatever is easy, cheap, convenient that you like the roll mark and finish of. If you want some "resale value," then LMT, Noveske and S&W are probably the top choices - but there's no real reason for it.

Frijolito1988
11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Exactly what i have said, alot of the big names buy from ONE company who makes the lowers they just stamp them with their name, you are just buying the name

aplinker
11-03-2008, 11:41 PM
here's a list I stole from m4carbine... it's not wholly updated, but it gives you an idea ;)

_______

----------
Cavalry Arms
* Cavalry Arms
Continental Machine Tool
* Stag
* Rock River Arms
* High Standard
* Noveske
* Century (New)
* Global Tactical
* CLE
* S&W
* MGI
* Wilson Tactical
* Grenadier Precision
* Colt
Essential Arms
* Essential Arms
JVP
* Double Star
* LRB
LAR Manufacturing
* Anvil Arms
* LAR
* Bushmaster
* Ameetec
* DPMS
* CMMG
* Double Star
* Fulton Armory
* Gunsmoke Enterprises
* Spike's Tactical
Lewis Machine & Tool
* LMT
* Lauer
* DS Arms
* PWA
* Eagle
* Armalite
* Knights Armament
* Barrett
Mega Machine Shop
* Mega
* GSE
* Dalphon
* Gunsmoke Enterprises
* POF
* Alexander Arms
Olympic
* Olympic
* SGW
* Tromix
* Palmetto
* Dalphon
* Frankford
* Century (Old)
Sabre Defense
* Sabre Defense
Sun Devil
* Sun Devil forged billet receivers
Superior
* Superior Arms

Gator Monroe
11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Complete Barreled M16A1 Colt upper (Minus CH,BCG & Stock/buffer & reciever extension) $250.00 from Ohio Ordanance Works:)

Futurecollector
11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Ok so where can i get the cheapest OLL's? does anyone know?

jksupplyco
11-04-2008, 5:02 AM
Ok so where can i get the cheapest OLL's? does anyone know?

Group buys.

railroader
11-04-2008, 7:19 AM
Where do you live? Lowers tend to be cheaper if you can walk in and buy. If you buy a lower a lower for say $115 then pay for shipping your up to around $125. Now the transfer dealer charges you $75, your at $200. Not so cheap anymore. I'm in the inland empire and recently I saw a Coldwar Shooters ad for Stag lowers for $129. Mark

Darklyte27
11-04-2008, 7:39 AM
my 2 lowers, 1 Stag 110$ and 1 Doublestar 100$ were put on 1 dros of 50$.
that made them 135$ and 125$.

that also included shipping.

I personally think the DS has a better finish.

Futurecollector
11-04-2008, 1:02 PM
Well im in so-cal, i just want like 3 maybe 4 lowers to throw in the safe so if there is a new wepons ban after the election i will still have 4 OLL's registered and good to go.... I would either want a Stag or a Doublestar. i think they would be the best bang for my buck, (no pun inteded) am i wrong or right??? Thanks

civilsnake
11-04-2008, 1:25 PM
Cold War Shooters in Highland and J and J Armory in Santa Ana both sell stripped lowers in-store. From what I've seen, the prices are pretty similar between the two places. One might charge slightly more for Stag and slightly less for Double Star. I've purchased from both locations and both seem like perfectly fine establishments.

Figure ~$130 + Tax + DROS.

CHS
11-04-2008, 1:29 PM
i will still have 4 OLL's registered and good to go....

Long guns and receivers ARE NOT REGISTERED.

Futurecollector
11-04-2008, 1:43 PM

The lower has got to be be registered, the lower is the only part on the whole rifle that has a serial number, obviously the upper dosent need to be registered...

ohsmily
11-04-2008, 2:04 PM

The lower has got to be be registered NO, IT DOESN'T, the lower is the only part on the whole rifle that has a serial number, obviously the upper dosent need to be registered...

A few people have ALREADY stated this in the thread so I am not sure why you aren't getting it; the lower is NOT REGISTERED. Yes, you must complete a Dealer's Record of Sale form and be subject to a background check when you buy a long gun or long gun receiver. But, it is NOT registered. This is not just a matter of semantics either. Registration implies that there is a database with this gun attached to your name or that the serial number gets inputted into some system...IT DOES NOT.

Handguns ARE registered. The serial number and other information goes into a database under your name. Long guns do not.

Did I mention the lower receiver is not registered?

Oh, by the way, the lower is not "registered."

CHS
11-04-2008, 2:45 PM
The lower has got to be be registered, the lower is the only part on the whole rifle that has a serial number, obviously the upper dosent need to be registered...

I'm going to say this one more time clearly so that you understand.

Ready for it?

Ok, here goes:

LONG GUNS AND RECEIVERS ARE NOT REGISTERED.

got it?

Futurecollector
11-04-2008, 3:04 PM
ive talked to 3 differe FFL/ gun shops and they all told me i had to register it, thats why i am confused, i understand what you guys are saying i really do but its hard so wade through all the info when im getting 2 sides on one subject...

aplinker
11-04-2008, 3:15 PM
ive talked to 3 differe FFL/ gun shops and they all told me i had to register it, thats why i am confused, i understand what you guys are saying i really do but its hard so wade through all the info when im getting 2 sides on one subject...

Many people/FFLs improperly refer to DROS as a registration. As long as you understand the difference we can move on.

Futurecollector
11-04-2008, 3:19 PM
Many people/FFLs improperly refer to DROS as a registration. As long as you understand the difference we can move on.

Gotha THANK you....

ok i have decided to go with the doublestar lowers... what would be a good upper something in either 18 or 20 inches?

should i move this to a new post?

aplinker
11-04-2008, 4:00 PM
Gotha THANK you....

ok i have decided to go with the doublestar lowers... what would be a good upper something in either 18 or 20 inches?

should i move this to a new post?

Read through the thread in my signature.

yellowfin
11-04-2008, 5:07 PM
Buy in Nevada and save the stupid DROS fee. I swear the garbage that flies in this state is beyond intolerable. I hope that with the Nordyke decision the immediate course of action is to make the DOJerks pay back every single damn fee with 15% interest and have Alison and her crew prosecuted for extortion and racketeering.

ohsmily
11-04-2008, 5:10 PM
Buy in Nevada and save the stupid DROS fee. I swear the garbage that flies in this state is beyond intolerable. I hope that with the Nordyke decision the immediate course of action is to make the DOJerks pay back every single damn fee with 15% interest and have Alison and her crew prosecuted for extortion and racketeering.

:confused: huh? What are you talking about? If you buy in Nevada, it must be shipped to an FFL in CA and you will be hit with a dealer fee that averages about 50 bucks PLUS the 25.00 DROS fee. So, how would buying in NV "save the stupid DROS fee"???
It would be illegal to just drive to NV, buy the lower and bring it back. That would violate federal law. Thus, I am confused by your post.

Futurecollector
11-04-2008, 7:39 PM
So i will stick with a OLL from in california....

freakshow10mm
11-04-2008, 8:16 PM
It would be illegal to just drive to NV, buy the lower and bring it back. That would violate federal law. Thus, I am confused by your post.
You can purchase a long gun in another state so long as both state's laws are complied with, federally speaking.

ohsmily
11-04-2008, 8:21 PM
You can purchase a long gun in another state so long as both state's laws are complied with, federally speaking.

:confused: A resident of CA (who is not a resident of NV) may not purchase a gun in NV and bring it to or have it delivered to CA without the gun going through a CA FFL. That is a FEDERAL requirement. I am not sure what your post is stating.

freakshow10mm
11-04-2008, 8:35 PM
No, reread it.

I can sell a long gun to a WI resident that is in MI. I have to comply with Michigan laws and Wisconsin laws pertaining to the transfer of that long gun.

Let's say MI doesn't have a waiting period for a long gun, but WI has a 5 day waiting period. In order to legally transfer the long gun, I can run the 4473 but the customer can't take possession for 5 days (compliance with WI laws).

There is no federal law stating that a CA resident can't purchase a long gun in NV. That is a state law.

There IS a federal law stating that any handgun purchase must be in state. That is a federal law.

freakshow10mm
11-04-2008, 8:38 PM
(F2) May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the sellerís licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaserís State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. [B]In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licenseeís business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

Seesm
12-14-2008, 8:03 PM
I am thourougly confused with all this...

SO I CAN buy a OLL in NV (legally) and drive back into Ca and not EVER worry about going to jail because it is a long gun? (I get the hand gun part)

Just thinking about buying 1-2 and just putting them in the safe... Please pm so I do not look anymore stupid thanks.. :)

I also have abuddy who has a semi auto ar15 in nevade I thought about buying I woudl have to FFL that to Ca but not the OLL your saying?

Just to cover most of it... Thanks.

freakshow10mm
12-14-2008, 8:17 PM
Private party sales from residents of two different states must go through an FFL.

You can buy a long gun in another state from an FFL so long as that state's laws are followed AS WELL AS California laws. Example: I believe you guys have a 10 day wait before you can pick a long gun up. If you bought from another state, they would have to hold the gun for you for 10 days before you could pick it up.

alex00
12-14-2008, 9:00 PM
You can buy a long gun in another state from an FFL so long as that state's laws are followed AS WELL AS California laws. Example: I believe you guys have a 10 day wait before you can pick a long gun up. If you bought from another state, they would have to hold the gun for you for 10 days before you could pick it up.

We still have to pick it up from a California FFL. He can buy the gun out of state, but it has to be shipped to a California FFL.

Seesm
12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
So then the state of CA would know about the rifle still...? I hate the idea if your a good person they have to know about it all...

So what about if you live in Nevada and buy a gun and bring in into Ca (when you move here) do you have to let them know? (yes I am talking a calif. legal ar15 let's say)

I ask because I saw where someone said dros a gun it and that is not registered... Just trying to make sense of it all... Thanks I suspect someone spoke of this before on here but I did not find it...

Also when you DROS a long gun do they know... "Ok this guy has a AR or a mini or Keltec etc etc" Or is it just a "Long gun" on there books...?

Steve O
12-15-2008, 4:32 AM

SO I CAN buy a OLL in NV (legally) and drive back into Ca and not EVER worry about going to jail because it is a long gun? (I get the hand gun part)

Just thinking about buying 1-2 and just putting them in the safe... Please pm so I do not look anymore stupid thanks.. :)

I also have abuddy who has a semi auto ar15 in nevade I thought about buying I woudl have to FFL that to Ca but not the OLL your saying?

I'm almost absolutely sure, that no gun shop in NV will even talk to you, if they know you are form CA.

They may legally be allowed, but they will not.

radioburning
12-15-2008, 11:18 AM
So, do I take my OLL to the DMV to register it as an AW?

http://www.hazenworld.com/explodehead.gif

J/K:p

Harrison_Bergeron
12-15-2008, 1:13 PM
Can one of the folks saying that CA residents buying in NV is illegal cite the relevant code?

Steve O
12-15-2008, 1:40 PM
I have family in NV, and when I was there wiht my uncle, we were looking at guns. Longs were on the rack in front of the counter, pistols in to counter case. The FFL runing the store, said that if I was form CA he cant even let me hold a gun!

This may have been for pistols, but it might appily to rifles too.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 1:51 PM

Not to be impolite, but you are wrong. No long guns are registered. Only legally owned assault weapons and handguns.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 1:57 PM

Bro, you do not look anymore stupid because I am confused too. I was recently at the reno gun show and couldn't buy more that a hamburger because noone would sell me sh^&*(t.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 1:58 PM
I have family in NV, and when I was there wiht my uncle, we were looking at guns. Longs were on the rack in front of the counter, pistols in to counter case. The FFL runing the store, said that if I was form CA he cant even let me hold a gun!

This may have been for pistols, but it might appily to rifles too.

+1 - no kidding. they are damned right hostile to californians.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 2:04 PM
Can one of the folks saying that CA residents buying in NV is illegal cite the relevant code?

They don't care. They just don't want to get in trouble for something they are unfamiliar with. It's BS I:notworthy: know but how do you convince them?

Harrison_Bergeron
12-15-2008, 3:00 PM
Well, there is a difference between being illegal and being the result of FUD.

Spyder
12-15-2008, 3:11 PM
It is a NEVADA law that says Californians can NOT buy and take possession of firearms there. Perfectly legal to buy it, ship it to your local Ca ffl and do the transfer here. Not legal, per Nevada law, to buy it there and pick it up there like a Nevada resident would.

Support your local good guys and buy from them.

7222 Hawker
12-15-2008, 4:50 PM

Wrong - only logged if its stolen. Noooo registration on long guns.

JeffM
12-15-2008, 6:25 PM
Soooooo where do I get the cheap OLLS?

I followed some of the crums and found a link to $350 M16A1 upper minus the BCG, but that's still on the high side for me.

I think I'll end up building my own anyway. Anyone have a line on good barrels for a good price? How about a Canadian C7 upper?

Seesm
12-16-2008, 12:55 AM
See so from what I am hearing here I can in fact but a gun private party in NV because long guns are NOT registered at all in california your saying... only a dros if a dealer does it. It is just a long gun Dros is you do a shop buy in california but it is NOT registered anywhere unless thought of as a AW...

Things are not clear on this... I do get the dealer to dealer deal from NV to Ca but the rest is weird...

Ok did I ask this yet....?

I move to NV and and I am there lets say 6 months and I buy a "ca legal" AR15 andI then move "back" california... Do tell anyone I have a long gun now in CA because as someone said on here a long gun is NOT registered... I know BUt a handgun is.... More curious stuff and I may sound dumb but who cares it is not that clear... I am getting PM of people who do not know this stuff either... Thanks for any answers...