PDA

View Full Version : POF Build Issues

dfletcher
11-03-2008, 7:46 PM
I just picked up my 308 caliber POF stripped lower. The RRA 2 stage went in perfectly as did the Ace skeleton stock. So far so good. However two issue have popped up.

First, although the springs drop right in, the detents are a touch too wide & will not drop into the front hinge pin hole nor the rear takedown pin hole. Does POF use a slightly smaller detent? The ones I'm using are plain old detent pins that I've used on 3 other builds.

Second, the POF has an ambi bolt release - got those in a separate package attached to the lower. The bag contained the ambi (right side) bolt release lever, a plunger and TWO small studs with a threaded end. Now I've dropped the right side bolt into the slot & used one of the threaded studs to secure it. I presume the plunger goes into the hole where the the mag detent and spring go, I can't figure out what to do with the 2nd threaded stud, nor can I visualize how this ambi mag release will work - seems like I'm missing a small part. Anyone built the POF & can help? The takedown/hinge detent pins not fitting is quite a concern, I can't think of any good reason to have undersized holes on the lower.

Wildhawk66
11-03-2008, 8:15 PM
I have some experience with these and haven't encountered the detent issue. Sorry, no advice other there.

As to the bolt release issue though, that I can help with. First, note that the two small threaded studs are different sizes. One holds the right side custom POF Bolt Release in place and the other is used to pin the regular lower parts kit Bolt Release. Your right, the "plunger" wich is really a the POF right side Bolt Catch Buffer does go into the bolt catch recess. Once you drop that in, drop in the Bolt Batch Spring and then the Bolt Catch Buffer that came with the lower parts kit. Once thats done, install the left side Bolt Catch usig the seond threaded stud and your good to go.

Good luck with that detent issue.

dfletcher
11-03-2008, 9:18 PM
I have some experience with these and haven't encountered the detent issue. Sorry, no advice other there.

As to the bolt release issue though, that I can help with. First, note that the two small threaded studs are different sizes. One holds the right side custom POF Bolt Release in place and the other is used to pin the regular lower parts kit Bolt Release. Your right, the "plunger" wich is really a the POF right side Bolt Catch Buffer does go into the bolt catch recess. Once you drop that in, drop in the Bolt Batch Spring and then the Bolt Catch Buffer that came with the lower parts kit. Once thats done, install the left side Bolt Catch usig the seond threaded stud and your good to go.

Good luck with that detent issue.

Thanks for the help. Re the ambi bolt release, I sort of stumbled across the 2nd threaded stud use when I looked at the regular bolt release and wondered how the heck you'd back out a conventional cold rolled pin since the hole is not drilled through & through. I guess the POF buffer plus the spring plus the regular regular bolt release buffer takes up the slack. Neat little system.

The holes in the receiver are way too undersized to take the regular detent pins, in fact they perfectly accomodate the unthreaded part of the POF ambi bolt release studs. I know I can make some, but damn it's irritating to spend $$$ and not have things mesh.

Side issue - does anyone know where I can get a spring for a bullet button? I know there's a vendor who carries the parts, just can't recall the name.

HARLEY VATO
11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
PUT UP SOME PICS , i just got my pof-usa 12sx extended rail yesterday that i'm going to put on a 20 inch dpms heavy barrel set up, magpul sniper buttstock. putting it together possibly tonight

I just picked up my 308 caliber POF stripped lower. The RRA 2 stage went in perfectly as did the Ace skeleton stock. So far so good. However two issue have popped up.

First, although the springs drop right in, the detents are a touch too wide & will not drop into the front hinge pin hole nor the rear takedown pin hole. Does POF use a slightly smaller detent? The ones I'm using are plain old detent pins that I've used on 3 other builds.

Second, the POF has an ambi bolt release - got those in a separate package attached to the lower. The bag contained the ambi (right side) bolt release lever, a plunger and TWO small studs with a threaded end. Now I've dropped the right side bolt into the slot & used one of the threaded studs to secure it. I presume the plunger goes into the hole where the the mag detent and spring go, I can't figure out what to do with the 2nd threaded stud, nor can I visualize how this ambi mag release will work - seems like I'm missing a small part. Anyone built the POF & can help? The takedown/hinge detent pins not fitting is quite a concern, I can't think of any good reason to have undersized holes on the lower.

dfletcher
11-04-2008, 6:00 PM
PUT UP SOME PICS , i just got my pof-usa 12sx extended rail yesterday that i'm going to put on a 20 inch dpms heavy barrel set up, magpul sniper buttstock. putting it together possibly tonight

Sorry, the only pics I can put on my computer are Polaroids with tape. Anyway, everything coming together well, haven't picked an upper yet but I'm pretty sure I'll go with a flat top, weaver gas block front sight - probably this beast, it goes well with the skeleton stock: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=115196977

cwa14509
11-05-2008, 7:39 AM
I had the same exact problems with the rear takedown detent not fitting and ended up reaming out the hole with a drill.

WhoDat
11-05-2008, 7:45 AM
What about that sleeve that CWS sells for the lower? Is it absolutely necessary to buy, or can I somehow make something that will work as well. $20 seems a bit high for a tiny piece of metal...

I have a POF .308 lower that's been sitting in the safe for a while, waiting for funds to buy a 24" BBL DPMS upper. While I don't have the money for the upper now, wondering if I should buy the sleeve, while it's available. Seems that only CWS carries them...

dfletcher
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I had the same exact problems with the rear takedown detent not fitting and ended up reaming out the hole with a drill.

I was going to do that but really didn't trust myself - too high of an "Oops" factor with me & power tools, so I put the detents in a Dremel chuck & spun against a file. I really can't see a reason for the holes being undersized, and I can't find any info on the POF website for any of their gun specific parts.