PDA

View Full Version : Lee Precision Classic Turret Press

zapatito92
01-26-2017, 8:21 AM
i have been looking at a number of presses to start reloading on, and think i have made my decision. The Lee Precision Classic Turret Press seems like the right choice for all my needs. i have read the reviews and they are mostly positive. i plan on eventually reloading 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 300 blk, 223, 762x39, and 308

keep in mind i am a beginner and will probably end up swapping out some parts or upgrading the scale but i just want something to learn on.

i was curious if any other calgunners had experience with this? would u buy again or try something else out ?

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B008M5TSCG/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1485446591&sr=1-5&keywords=reloading+kit

drkphibr
01-26-2017, 8:41 AM
The LCT was my first and still my favorite all around press (and I have more than a few). Built like a tank, easy to use, EXTREMELY economical when considering not only the cost of the press itself, but the low cost of caliber changes, run in index or single stage mode and Lee stands behind their product with excellent (my own experience) customer service. Love the small footprint it takes on the bench for what it can do.

A couple of heads up.

Buy extra square ratchets (part number TF3567) as this part is meant to wear out and when it does, your indexing rod will no longer index the turret. It's a plastic component and can be found online for about $.25 cents or so. The trick to making this piece last for many thousands of rounds is to only remove the turret full of dies when the ram is up (handle all the way down) so there is no pressure on the part. Also, never force the turret to turn (forwards or backwards) by hand as that will force index rod wear against the softer plastic of the square ratchet.
The older (round style) Safety Primer trays would hit/tap the older style powder measures (Perfect Powder, Pro Auto disk) as the turret rotated if you didn't have the powder extenders to lift the chargers up high enough. Not sure if the newer kits now contain the newer Auto Drum Powder Measure (not as wide or bulky IMO), but I'd recommend that power drop. May not need the charging risers with that thinner power drop.

Enjoy the press and buy with confidence. There is no other press that can do what this does for the cost and the design is truly timeless IMO.

slayer61
01-26-2017, 8:42 AM
The Lee classic turret was my first press and I've been very happy with it. I use it for straight walled pistol cartridges only, but for that it works very well. I load 9mm, 40, 45 and 10mm on my turret and do 357 Sig on my single stage because it is a new process for me being a shouldered round.

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o786/slayersixty1/20161022_125807_zps6ucqwti5.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/slayersixty1/media/20161022_125807_zps6ucqwti5.jpg.html)

You might need a different powder dispensing system for the rifle rounds you mention. Lee offers a double disc kit for that situation.

Good luck and shoot well.

zapatito92
01-26-2017, 9:07 AM
The LCT was my first and still my favorite all around press (and I have more than a few). Built like a tank, easy to use, EXTREMELY economical when considering not only the cost of the press itself, but the low cost of caliber changes, run in index or single stage mode and Lee stands behind their product with excellent (my own experience) customer service. Love the small footprint it takes on the bench for what it can do.

A couple of heads up.

Buy extra square ratchets (part number TF3567) as this part is meant to wear out and when it does, your indexing rod will no longer index the turret. It's a plastic component and can be found online for about $.25 cents or so. The trick to making this piece last for many thousands of rounds is to only remove the turret full of dies when the ram is up (handle all the way down) so there is no pressure on the part. Also, never force the turret to turn (forwards or backwards) by hand as that will force index rod wear against the softer plastic of the square ratchet.
The older (round style) Safety Primer trays would hit/tap the older style powder measures (Perfect Powder, Pro Auto disk) as the turret rotated if you didn't have the powder extenders to lift the chargers up high enough. Not sure if the newer kits now contain the newer Auto Drum Powder Measure (not as wide or bulky IMO), but I'd recommend that power drop. May not need the charging risers with that thinner power drop.

Enjoy the press and buy with confidence. There is no other press that can do what this does for the cost and the design is truly timeless IMO.

Thanks for the input bro, and i will be sure to order some extra square ratchets and look into the pwder drop.

zapatito92
01-26-2017, 9:08 AM
The Lee classic turret was my first press and I've been very happy with it. I use it for straight walled pistol cartridges only, but for that it works very well. I load 9mm, 40, 45 and 10mm on my turret and do 357 Sig on my single stage because it is a new process for me being a shouldered round.

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o786/slayersixty1/20161022_125807_zps6ucqwti5.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/slayersixty1/media/20161022_125807_zps6ucqwti5.jpg.html)

You might need a different powder dispensing system for the rifle rounds you mention. Lee offers a double disc kit for that situation.

Yes the powder dispenser is first on my list. Im glad to hear that your press still serves you well, i will be ordering mine today and hopefully will be reloading next week.

thanks again

dwalker
01-26-2017, 9:47 AM
Skip the Auto disk and go with the Auto Drum. Only way to fly...

someoneeasy
01-26-2017, 11:08 AM
The kit you have linked has the auto drum, so you'll be good there.

someoneeasy
01-26-2017, 11:14 AM
I have the same press, but I didn't go with the kit and pieced it together. The kit does seem like a good deal if you don't want to hassle.

As for spare parts, Lee will send you them for free, just pay for shipping. I need a few parts so I just waited and ordered them all at once to make shipping worth it.

I would order the lee universal decapping die along with extra turret heads. Also, the bench plate isn't included in that kit, in case you were wanting that.

http://leeprecision.com/parts/

If you know for sure you're not going to be using that scale or the case prep tools, you can order the press, powder measure, riser die, and primer feeder for about $180, depending on where you order from.

Capybara
01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
My first press was the LCT. It is probably the best bang for the buck you can buy, excellent press with amazing value. If you get that kit, you'll want to discard that scale and buy a real scale but other than that, you will at least have the basic parts. Just beware that reloading takes lots of "things" to do conveniently and the kit you are ordering is truly just the largest parts of the puzzle.

garyngwind
01-26-2017, 2:02 PM
i *just* put my lee turret into use. As Capybara said, a lot of "convenient" things adds up quickly . But still, the price is not too bad. I bought those 4-hole turret plates, one for each caliber ($12 each). Even contemplating extra auto drum per caliber but that's a bit too "nice" ($35 + riser). I even got the Harvery deprimer so I can deprime where ever i want ($55). and the Lee Bench plate is a nice thing to have to if you want to move you turret around or simply get it out of the way ($20). Got the Frankford Arsenal digital scale from amazon ($30) too. I also grabbed another reloading manual - Hornady 11th edition because the front cover is oh-so-sexy ($30 on sale at brownell); you probably will find the Lee 2nd edition manual to be lacking in load data for particular powder/bullet-style/bullet-weight, this will be especially true since you have such a broad range of caliber to reload.

A few things to remember: you should get Lee dies to work with the Lee Auto Drum, I foolishly thought all brand works and got Hornady instead.
Also, the white stuff you see inside the Auto-Drum, it's graphite lubricant, don't scrape it, like i foolish did.

have you look into cleaning solutions? (dry tumbler, wet tumbler, ultra sonic)

stilly
01-26-2017, 9:57 PM
i have been looking at a number of presses to start reloading on, and think i have made my decision. The Lee Precision Classic Turret Press seems like the right choice for all my needs. i have read the reviews and they are mostly positive. i plan on eventually reloading 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 300 blk, 223, 762x39, and 308

keep in mind i am a beginner and will probably end up swapping out some parts or upgrading the scale but i just want something to learn on.

i was curious if any other calgunners had experience with this? would u buy again or try something else out ?

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B008M5TSCG/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1485446591&sr=1-5&keywords=reloading+kit

hehehe.

You will only find ONE negative thing about this press. It does NOT crank out 800+ rds per hour... Nowhere near it.

But no other turret is as fast as this one. I have one as well. My recco- SKIP the lee powder dropper though and go with a Hornady LNL dropper with case activated linkage OR get the RCBS QC Uniflow type- THAT might actually even be better. I have one now. As soon as I get case activated linkage for it I am swapping out the LNL for it.

Also, get some white lithium grease for the sides of this where the lugs are. It helps a lot with the smoothness. You are certainly on the right track just as long as you stick with THIS type and not the aluminum base Lee precision turret press. This one is flatter and nicer where the other one has an aluminum raised base and is not as good apparently. The primer hand-off function of this press is awesome, after about 30k rds through mine though I have discovered that sometimes there is a little stickiness between the primer ram and the shaft. Good to wipe them both down from time to time. Another thing too is you might want to look for a decent used single stage press. When you get into resizing rifle cases and swaging it is nice to have one of those just for the heck of it.

zapatito92
01-27-2017, 6:12 AM
i *just* put my lee turret into use. As Capybara said, a lot of "convenient" things adds up quickly . But still, the price is not too bad. I bought those 4-hole turret plates, one for each caliber ($12 each). Even contemplating extra auto drum per caliber but that's a bit too "nice" ($35 + riser). I even got the Harvery deprimer so I can deprime where ever i want ($55). and the Lee Bench plate is a nice thing to have to if you want to move you turret around or simply get it out of the way ($20). Got the Frankford Arsenal digital scale from amazon ($30) too. I also grabbed another reloading manual - Hornady 11th edition because the front cover is oh-so-sexy ($30 on sale at brownell); you probably will find the Lee 2nd edition manual to be lacking in load data for particular powder/bullet-style/bullet-weight, this will be especially true since you have such a broad range of caliber to reload.

A few things to remember: you should get Lee dies to work with the Lee Auto Drum, I foolishly thought all brand works and got Hornady instead.
Also, the white stuff you see inside the Auto-Drum, it's graphite lubricant, don't scrape it, like i foolish did.

have you look into cleaning solutions? (dry tumbler, wet tumbler, ultra sonic)

thanks for the input, i was thinking of ordering a 4 hole turret everytime i get a new set of dies and i already have the lyman 50th edition. had to get it for the 300 blk round. The rest i will just buy as i go on.

as for cleaner i was thinking ultrasonic but im not sure yet. any recommendations on cleaning ?

zapatito92
01-27-2017, 6:14 AM
hehehe.

You will only find ONE negative thing about this press. It does NOT crank out 800+ rds per hour... Nowhere near it.

But no other turret is as fast as this one. I have one as well. My recco- SKIP the lee powder dropper though and go with a Hornady LNL dropper with case activated linkage OR get the RCBS QC Uniflow type- THAT might actually even be better. I have one now. As soon as I get case activated linkage for it I am swapping out the LNL for it.

Also, get some white lithium grease for the sides of this where the lugs are. It helps a lot with the smoothness. You are certainly on the right track just as long as you stick with THIS type and not the aluminum base Lee precision turret press. This one is flatter and nicer where the other one has an aluminum raised base and is not as good apparently. The primer hand-off function of this press is awesome, after about 30k rds through mine though I have discovered that sometimes there is a little stickiness between the primer ram and the shaft. Good to wipe them both down from time to time. Another thing too is you might want to look for a decent used single stage press. When you get into resizing rifle cases and swaging it is nice to have one of those just for the heck of it.

haha hopefully in the future i can move on to proggresive, and i do plan on getting a nice used single stage press after i get the hang of this model.
i hadnt heard about the aluminum base model, but im glad that is not this one

thanks

pennstater
01-27-2017, 6:27 AM

Like your set-up '61. Simple, but, efficient. Very neat.

Mayor
01-27-2017, 6:36 AM
This is a great press. Started on a SS Rockchucker which was fine. Can remove the indexing rod on the Lee and it's a Single Stage which is what I do when I deprime then clean the cases or do other case prep like trim, swage prime pockets etc on 223. The on press priming system is great but best of all is the spent primer removal as I feel like I'm in heaven when I sit down and deprime around 500 223 cases at a time. Also love the new auto disk powder measure works great. Have fun. The Mayor

nedro
01-27-2017, 6:40 AM
I bought the LTP when I started gathering parts.
I think it would be better to start off with a single stage, learn how to reload. Then buy the turret press and use the single for de-priming before cleaning.
You will end up doing this at some point. Might as well start off that way.

CenCal45
01-27-2017, 6:56 AM
I bought the LTP when I started gathering parts.
I think it would be better to start off with a single stage, learn how to reload. Then buy the turret press and use the single for decanting before cleaning.
You will end up doing this at some point. Might as well start off that way.

Been wrestling with myself on this one..

I really want the LCT to use as a single stage to learn/decap, then go full turret for speed when I'm confident in my technique.

But I also know if I ever start to reload the big boy rifle cartridges, single stages work best.
Everyone ends up with a single anyways like you said.

But I kinda wana get the more expensive one out of the way...I don't like decisions:(

nedro
01-27-2017, 8:36 AM
Here's something else to think about.
If you buy the turret first, you will more quickly, find out what you don't want or need.
That's what happened to me.
I actually bought the 4 hole and the ram. I was about to get the auto rotator and was trying to figure out which powder drop I wanted to go with.
But I'm loading 6.8 spc, and everything I was reading made the turret less and less desirable.
At this point, for me, the only advantel of the turret is that I don't have to screw in another die. That's not that big of an advantage.

On the other hand, if you're loading pistol rounds, why not. It's meant to crank 'em out in quantity.

tonyjr
01-27-2017, 9:49 AM
I would look at the load master - same price .
Buy new and check around - shipping can get you .
You don't get the extras - but I use all 5 die holes and wish it had 6 .

stilly
01-27-2017, 10:06 AM
I would look at the load master - same price .
Buy new and check around - shipping can get you .
You don't get the extras - but I use all 5 die holes and wish it had 6 .

A few more months... Okay, maybe around 8 more months and the NEW Lee Progressive flagship press to end all presses and stop world hunger will be out...
AND Donald Trump will be raving about it because it is a Red item that will make America Great again!

slayer61
01-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Like your set-up '61. Simple, but, efficient. Very neat.

Thank you.

CenCal45
01-27-2017, 12:34 PM
On the other hand, if you're loading pistol rounds, why not. It's meant to crank 'em out in quantity.

That's what has me stuck on the turret.

Gona be all pistol rounds for a good while

CenCal45
01-27-2017, 12:38 PM
A few more months... Okay, maybe around 8 more months and the NEW Lee Progressive flagship press to end all presses and stop world hunger will be out...
AND Donald Trump will be raving about it because it is a Red item that will make America Great again!

Which new one?

Couldn't find it with a quick Google search

garyngwind
01-27-2017, 2:07 PM
as for cleaner i was thinking ultrasonic but im not sure yet. any recommendations on cleaning ?

i am sure this is yet another topic of great debate.

I personally don't like the idea of dry tumbling (have to buy consumable media, dust everywhere, larger footprint of equipment (plus the media separater)), so i first got the ultrasonic. It cleans well, and is quick, but the brass casing doesn't come out shiny, which is not necessary and just a matter of personal preference. I end up getting the harbor freight dual drum tumbler for wet tumbling (without the stainless steel pin) just to make them look shiny (and... as a last stage of cleaning, or so i convince myself; the water from the tumbler after comes out quite clean, meaning the 'first stage' ultrasonic is doing its job well).

So, to answer your question, Ultrasonic will work well.
But, wet tumbling WITH stainless steel pin will be the best. Clean inside and out, and brass will look shiny.

tonyjr
01-27-2017, 2:55 PM
stilly
I keep hearing reading about a new Lee but cannot find any info .
I figure it is just vapor ware .
As for cleaning the cases - I have and use the vibrator , rotary and sonic .
Up to you - you want to separate from corn / walnut , get and check for stuck pins or buy a dryer .
What is best depends on who you are talking to . And what you are cleaning .
The vibrator kind of sucks for rifle cases - but works OK on 45 , 44 and the 50 cases - if-fee on 38-357 .
Sonic works on pistol cases well . Seems better on rifle cases .
The rotary works good on them all with the right pins but you have to dry and / or check for stuck pins .
What ever you get , get one of the Christmas timers - mine are all adjustable by 15 minutes

stilly
01-27-2017, 3:18 PM
You will not find any of this information by googling it. It is not talked about because it is a surprise that Lee is cooking up to spring on the world later this year.

They are building a new progressive press, engineered from the ground up (speculation there) and they are very tight lipped about it. So far all I got out of them was new progressive press... I am GUESSING that it might have something to do with the popularity of the Lee Loadmaster and the tinkering involved with that one. Just a guess though.

I think they will have a bulletproof indexing system similar to RCBS, a primer system like what is used on the LNL except it will use the Lee folding primer holders now, a 7 to 10 station design, automatic bullet feeding module, automatic case feeding module (possibly similar to the Loadmaster or the LNL) and it would not surprise me if it came with its own powder dropper and fixed universal decapping station (dedicated of course). Optional LED integrated light modules. I also expect it to be closer to the $400-$600 range, but closer to $400. This is ALL speculation btw... I was just thinking what they could be trying to achieve by engineering a new press in today's climate.

That is ALL speculation.

tonyjr
01-27-2017, 4:25 PM
I would go for a 7 station . The existing Lee primer / priming sucks . I prefer to deprime and prime off press anyway so they could have the best in world and I would not use it .
Now it would be nice if they build a case and bullet feeder that was not top heavy with 15 44's in it or the cases getting stuck .
It is bad enough that I hand place the 44's and 50's . If I feel lucky I mite try
Auto feed on the 41 - but that gun is not shot that often and it is getting harder to find 41 pills at gun stores / ranges .
I probably got my monies worth out of the loadmaster maybe 20 years ago .
No one around here has Lee loadmaster on display and the people at bass pro and hunting - fishing - I feel like they want to ask if I want fries with it . Most of them belong in parking lot picking up trash .
At 400 for basic , it would probably be at least 700 by the time you get a couple extra tool heads , bullet and case feeders and the slippy - slider thing for removing [ far easier for me to mount on 1 inch plywood than clean out under bench

stilly
01-27-2017, 4:51 PM
41? Like for the Deagle?

Cast your own...

I am going to be converting my Loadmaster to make .44 mag very soon so I will get to share your experiences there too...

Hmm, they should make a shell retention system similar to Hornady's as well. Or better yet, spring activated buttons that you can pull away and rotate down to hold that slot open...

Enfield47
01-27-2017, 9:37 PM
The LCT is a great press. I reload pistol rounds to 30-06 (you have to remove the indexing rod) and have never had an issue. Buy a turret head for each caliber and store them in the round red die boxes. Changing calibers takes just seconds by doing this.

If you haven't already ordered it, it is available for less at Titan Reloading http://www.titanreloading.com/kits/lee-classic-cast-turret-press-kit. They are great to deal with and they ship fast.

junior40er
01-27-2017, 11:23 PM
On sale for 199 and free.shipping for the kit! You're welcome

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-kits/4-hole-turret-press-deluxe-kit-prod56289.aspx

smohmand
01-27-2017, 11:45 PM
I use the classic turret press to reload .223 and am very satisfied with it so far. I am a beginner to reloading and have only loaded a couple hundred rounds so far but this press has been great to learn on. I definitely recommend it to any beginner.

smohmand
01-27-2017, 11:50 PM
Another vote for wet tumbling. I use the Frankford arsenal platinum wet tumbler setup and it's the best. Steep investment at first but no consumable media to upkeep and the cases come out super clean and shiny.

i am sure this is yet another topic of great debate.

I personally don't like the idea of dry tumbling (have to buy consumable media, dust everywhere, larger footprint of equipment (plus the media separater)), so i first got the ultrasonic. It cleans well, and is quick, but the brass casing doesn't come out shiny, which is not necessary and just a matter of personal preference. I end up getting the harbor freight dual drum tumbler for wet tumbling (without the stainless steel pin) just to make them look shiny (and... as a last stage of cleaning, or so i convince myself; the water from the tumbler after comes out quite clean, meaning the 'first stage' ultrasonic is doing its job well).

So, to answer your question, Ultrasonic will work well.
But, wet tumbling WITH stainless steel pin will be the best. Clean inside and out, and brass will look shiny.

SixPointEight
01-28-2017, 7:29 AM
Keep used up duct tape and box tape rolls for storing turrets. The turrets just fit inside and it keeps decapping pins from hitting the shelf.

Love my LCT. Great press. The priming system can be a bit finicky but it's really not too bad. For me the tube that guides primers is a little weird. I zip tie the top to the press, then guide the bottle into an old spaghetti sauce or pickle jar under the bench and that works pretty well.

I had good luck with the powder measure when loading with the indexing rod in place. Jolting the powder measure 3 times before it has to dump powder seems to settle the powder pretty consistently

You'll be happy with the press. I'm getting a Dillon 550 now after many years of service from the LCT, and I'm pretty sure both will live on my bench

tonyjr
01-28-2017, 7:56 AM
stilly
Yes , the desert eagle 41 mag .
Can't use lead or plated / coated . Depending on loads , not a big difference between the 357 and 41 .
I picked it up on a whim - 1200 at gun show - did not have one .
It is old enough that parts are hard to find - they sold a 10 inch barrel for it , but I can't / could not find one a couple years ago .

Capybara
01-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Stilly, if this is true, will it replace anything in the lineup? Hmm...in a blue world of Dillons, this is an interesting strategy. They will have to either offer features that big Blue doesn't or make it cheaper and comparable. Based upon what I see here and the half dozen other reloading forums I frequent, I see few non-Dillon progressive press users, seems like they kind of own the medium to high end progressive markets.

stilly
01-28-2017, 12:22 PM
stilly
Yes , the desert eagle 41 mag .
Can't use lead or plated / coated . Depending on loads , not a big difference between the 357 and 41 .
I picked it up on a whim - 1200 at gun show - did not have one .
It is old enough that parts are hard to find - they sold a 10 inch barrel for it , but I can't / could not find one a couple years ago .

You can shoot plated and PC out of them. I have done it with over 8k rds through mine.

Now I have put about 300 PC through it.

Sorry Capy. They hardly let that info out... Honestly though I can see it replacing the Loadmaster.

Joezamboni
01-28-2017, 1:11 PM
I load 380 ACP, 9mm, 38 Special, 223 Rem and 308 Win on my LCT. All have their own toolheads with autodrums although for my match rifle loads I dump them from the case onto a scale, add with a trickler (usually .1-.2 grains off with stick powders like varget) pour back in case and continue. With H335 in my 223 loads it's rarely off by more than .1 grains.

I also have a separate toolhead for my Lee quicktrim dies. It works well for the single stage processes for the rifle rounds.

tonyjr
01-28-2017, 4:52 PM
I was given 5 pills for the 44 and 50 at a gun show [ samples ] Since 5 of us went , we got 357 , 41 [ they had lots of them ] 44 , 45 and 50 .
Both the 44 and 50 had clouds and left residue on end of barrel .
After 2 magazines of 5 they went back to normal reloads [ 44 and 50 ]
I ran the parts thru the sonic - while not much . it did look like I put glitter in the water .
While the 45 was not as dirty , the 357's went thru a revolver - was O K .
To be honest , I did not want to take a chance with the 41 and swapped 10 cartridges for 20 M T's .

stilly
01-29-2017, 12:43 PM
I was given 5 pills for the 44 and 50 at a gun show [ samples ] Since 5 of us went , we got 357 , 41 [ they had lots of them ] 44 , 45 and 50 .
Both the 44 and 50 had clouds and left residue on end of barrel .
After 2 magazines of 5 they went back to normal reloads [ 44 and 50 ]
I ran the parts thru the sonic - while not much . it did look like I put glitter in the water .
While the 45 was not as dirty , the 357's went thru a revolver - was O K .
To be honest , I did not want to take a chance with the 41 and swapped 10 cartridges for 20 M T's .

Wow. Sorry to hear that. What SAMPLE brand was it? Home made?
Wait a second- Did the guy mention anything about using a propane grill to cure them? (wink wink JWest...)

Just for you tony:

They shoot nicely out of mine and 20gr of Enforcer will tear the plating off the pill, but not the PC apparently.

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/dap.jpg

tonyjr
01-29-2017, 6:27 PM
Not sure of brand name .
H110 powder and CCI mag primers [ all I use is Hodgdon ball powders - except vargent witch is a stick and does not meter as well ] I am still using the plates [ ? ] for lee loadmaster - I reamed and polished the plastic and marked for 25 , 32 and 380 ACP's . The rest I use the the micro charge bars -
one for the 357 and 41 another for the 44 and 50 .
So far I have been hand feeding the 30 carbine , 270 - etc - but 3 nephews got in under the wire with the 308 and 762 AW's and have gone thru a lot of rounds .
CCI primers are all I use . I have not poked a hole decapping or had them bend on me .
As for powder coating and plated - not worth it - sizing and handle lead to PC or cleaning the " plate out of barrel / parts - not worth it to me for the little I save per round .
BTW someone posted -
http://sleepinggiantbrass.com/_catalog_grid/pistol
They have 41 mag brass - no pills I need .
I did buy another frankford tumbler and don't know what pins they give you so I will probably need ones for the 308's

RiskyBusiness
03-02-2017, 10:28 AM
I use the classic turret press to reload .223 and am very satisfied with it so far. I am a beginner to reloading and have only loaded a couple hundred rounds so far but this press has been great to learn on. I definitely recommend it to any beginner.

why do some here say rifle rounds are best reloaded on single stage presses over progressives/turrets? Can't you use the turret in the ss manner as well?

slayer61
03-02-2017, 12:24 PM
why do some here say rifle rounds are best reloaded on single stage presses over progressives/turrets? Can't you use the turret in the ss manner as well?
I bought the single stage to load 357Sig. It was my first experience with a shouldered round, and wanted to go slowly as I learned the process.

1). Tumble clean
2). De prime and resize
3). measure for OAL on brass
4). Tumble clean again....

Didn't make sense to me to do it on a turret press.

tonyjr
03-02-2017, 1:19 PM
RiskyBusiness
Most want a better powder drop .
My Lee can vary as much as .02 on the 50 AE . So I check every 10 cartridges or so .
Same with all my rifles . I use the older Lee on any round smaller than 357 .
I use the newer / better powder drop for any thing 357 or over and all rifle rounds .
For me I had to many problems with both flack and log powders .

stilly
03-02-2017, 2:10 PM

Because when shooting bolts and precision rifles, you want strict tolerances and no play, you want everything the same, same size for sure.

There is too much slop in a progressive press or turret to give it the SAME every time. Maybe the T-7 has no play, but it moves, so there IS play. If there is play and flexing and movement at the dies, then that will affect your oal.

HOWEVER, there are no issues loading rifle ammo on a Turret. I load .223 and .308 and 7.62 on a turret and I am not complaining. For my go fast shoot em up semi auto style it works great.

tonyjr
03-03-2017, 10:33 AM
There is too much slop in a progressive press or turret to give it the SAME every time. Maybe the T-7 has no play, but it moves, so there IS play. If there is play and flexing and movement at the dies, then that will affect your oal.
--
This is one of the reasons I use washers between the dies and tool head .

RiskyBusiness
03-03-2017, 10:55 AM
RiskyBusiness
Most want a better powder drop .
My Lee can vary as much as .02 on the 50 AE . So I check every 10 cartridges or so .
Same with all my rifles . I use the older Lee on any round smaller than 357 .
I use the newer / better powder drop for any thing 357 or over and all rifle rounds .
For me I had to many problems with both flack and log powders .

I've been reading the lee auto drum has been giving great results with +-0.1 occasional drops.

tonyjr
03-03-2017, 11:17 AM
I had a few problems with the early Lee . The auto drum is a lot better .
I ended up running the disks thru the vibrator and polishing the inside of the powder holes

mmesa005
03-03-2017, 1:30 PM
I highly recommend you start with a single stage press. You can purchase a Lee Classic Cast or Breech Lock Classic Cast press. I have the Classic Cast and use Hornady quick change bushings to make changing dies easier.
I also highly recommend their newer Auto Drum or Classic Cast powder measures. Both very accurate. With the single stage press you will need the Classic Cast powder measure and the optional stand to mount it on.
Another big plus about Lee is the ability to purchase spare parts directly from Lee, Titan Reloading, eBay, others.
I have a Lee Loadmaster, Lee Classic Single, and most recently purchased a RCBS Pro Chucker 7. While I love the Pro Chucker, I don't like having to call RCBS for every little part I need. Still working out bugs with the priming system which is why I have kept the Loadmaster. I use the Lee Classic Cast for rifle bullet reloading. You will always have use for a single stage press and not loose any money spent for that purchase. You can stay in the Lee family for everything you need, press, accessories, dies.

BTW.. I suspected Lee was developing the next generation Loadmaster as I recently ordered spare parts and only paid for the shipping. That makes me believe they are clearing out old inventory and getting ready to release a new progressive press.

stilly
03-03-2017, 5:58 PM
I highly recommend you start with a single stage press. You can purchase a Lee Classic Cast or Breech Lock Classic Cast press. I have the Classic Cast and use Hornady quick change bushings to make changing dies easier.
I also highly recommend their newer Auto Drum or Classic Cast powder measures. Both very accurate. With the single stage press you will need the Classic Cast powder measure and the optional stand to mount it on.
Another big plus about Lee is the ability to purchase spare parts directly from Lee, Titan Reloading, eBay, others.
I have a Lee Loadmaster, Lee Classic Single, and most recently purchased a RCBS Pro Chucker 7. While I love the Pro Chucker, I don't like having to call RCBS for every little part I need. Still working out bugs with the priming system which is why I have kept the Loadmaster. I use the Lee Classic Cast for rifle bullet reloading. You will always have use for a single stage press and not loose any money spent for that purchase. You can stay in the Lee family for everything you need, press, accessories, dies.

BTW.. I suspected Lee was developing the next generation Loadmaster as I recently ordered spare parts and only paid for the shipping. That makes me believe they are clearing out old inventory and getting ready to release a new progressive press.

OH! Please do tell more! I have not heard of such an idea! ;)

Hehe...

LoL

wbunning
03-04-2017, 5:50 PM
Yup. There is even slop in a single stage. Just try wiggling your shell holder on a single stage. You can cut off the end of a feeler guage and use it as a shim (they are just the right width) to reduce that bit of play, but even the seating and crimp dies themselves can wiggle a bit if you don't lock them down tightly. The precision seating dies are a bit better.

HOWEVER, there are no issues loading rifle ammo on a Turret.
Except for that precision thing.

someoneeasy
03-04-2017, 11:37 PM

They do that with all of the replacement parts, just pay for shipping.

mmesa005
03-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Never experienced that with them before. All my previous parts orders I paid for.

daze817
03-06-2017, 9:54 PM
Just got an LCT and can't wait to begin

stilly
03-07-2017, 12:04 AM
Oh the winning in this thread! it HURTS!

Said no one ever...

GW
03-07-2017, 12:30 PM

It's a great press to start with.
I have moved on to Dillon presses for production but still have my Lee for developing new loads.
Go for it and have fun.

GW
03-07-2017, 2:45 PM
thanks for the input, i was thinking of ordering a 4 hole turret everytime i get a new set of dies and i already have the lyman 50th edition. had to get it for the 300 blk round. The rest i will just buy as i go on.

Smart choice on the Lyman manual. IMHO it's got the best info on loading lead and it has lots of powder recommendations as well. I also recommend you spend the money on a balance-beam scale. They are a little slower to work with but there's no need to worry about goofy readings from electronics that might be malfunctioning or batteries dying. JMO

tonyjr
03-08-2017, 7:26 AM
Lights can effect the electric ones . Both can be affected by wind / air - such as something as small as an opening a door .
I used to leave garage door open [ more light ] but wind and cars driving by -
I also had a cop say it was advertising there are guns here and look at all the stuff in garage .

DS94901
03-16-2017, 2:50 PM
The LCT is excellent. I used an RCBS single stage from the 60's that my dad picked up a t a garage sale for $5 to do all of my reloading for ages then decided to go with either the LCT or the Lee Pro 1000. Heard too many negative reviews of the 1000 because of how finicky it can be and once something goes wrong it takes some time to get back into the groove. Not much negative comments about the LCT. Its not terrible fast but compared to single stage its great.

I recommend learning in single stage mode. Get comfortable before trying to go through the all the steps in sequence. One of my safety primer feeds was sticking so I had to take it apart and do some modification. In the process I lost a spring that I couldn't locate on their website. We e-mailed back and forth and I sent pics and they sent me a new spring.

The press is just so simple to operate and very consistent. The powder measure works well with some powders and not as well with others. It's not excellent if you're looing for precision loads but if you're just target shooting it's great. Enjoy!

giannini.david@hotmail.co
03-19-2017, 1:35 PM
l found the LCT Press to be a fine choice for my purposes. Combined with a Forster Co-Ax single stage press, I have the ability to turn out very accurate rifle rounds, and produce pistol rounds in reasonable quantity. Being retired has resulted in having more time than money and that has colored my decisions on reloading equipment.

I am set up to reload .45 ACP, .38 Special/.357 magnum, and 9mm on the turret press. I have turrets set up with lee dies and lee auto-drum dispensers.
Switching from one caliber to another takes a minute or two. And I can turn out 100 to 200 rounds an hour given my slow and methodical process. I've found the auto-drum to be accurate to +- .1 grain once they get broken in.

I use a Lee universal decapping die in the Co-Ax, and wet tumble with SS pins. All pistol cases are pre-primed with an RCBS bench prime system. Speeds up processing on the turret and keeps things clean too!

I'm quite happy with the Lee Classic Turret Press and with the rest of the Lee products I have used to reload pistol rounds.

Next challenge is to work up some long range target rounds on the Co-Ax.

Good luck and happy reloading!

RiskyBusiness
03-22-2017, 10:59 PM
l found the LCT Press to be a fine choice for my purposes. Combined with a Forster Co-Ax single stage press, I have the ability to turn out very accurate rifle rounds, and produce pistol rounds in reasonable quantity. Being retired has resulted in having more time than money and that has colored my decisions on reloading equipment.

I am set up to reload .45 ACP, .38 Special/.357 magnum, and 9mm on the turret press. I have turrets set up with lee dies and lee auto-drum dispensers.
Switching from one caliber to another takes a minute or two. And I can turn out 100 to 200 rounds an hour given my slow and methodical process. I've found the auto-drum to be accurate to +- .1 grain once they get broken in.

I use a Lee universal decapping die in the Co-Ax, and wet tumble with SS pins. All pistol cases are pre-primed with an RCBS bench prime system. Speeds up processing on the turret and keeps things clean too!

I'm quite happy with the Lee Classic Turret Press and with the rest of the Lee products I have used to reload pistol rounds.

Next challenge is to work up some long range target rounds on the Co-Ax.

Good luck and happy reloading!

so you use the coax purely for rifle loads and the lct for pistol?