PDA

View Full Version : Vltor CASV + carry handle??

civilsnake
11-03-2008, 4:16 PM
My buddy is in the process of piecing together his first AR. He really digs the CASV system, but also really likes the standard carry handle w/ sight. Logic dictates that they wouldn't work together, but I thought I would check here to see if anyone knew better.

So the question is: is there any way to raise the front sight block by about .5in to allow a standard sight ON TOP of the CASV rail to line up with the front sight?

He would have to ditch the existing front sight as it's standard height. If he were to replace it with a railed gas block, are there any adjustable or longer than standard front sight towers out there? Are rail spacers a possibility?

aplinker
11-03-2008, 6:56 PM
I don't get the fascination with the CASV, but anyways...

Moving the iron sight bore axis higher than it already is isn't really a good choice - it will mess with a lot of the calibrations out there, since he'll be different than everyone else. It will also interfere with the cheek weld. Yes, you could mount a carry handle and a rail height front sight on there, but the back of the carry handle will "dangle" since the CASV stops about 1-1/2" from the back of the flat-top.

If he wants a free float handguard that doesn't require replacing the barrel nut, and doesn't have the crappy issues of the CASV, tell him to go with the Daniel Defense OMEGA.

shark92651
11-03-2008, 8:28 PM
The CASV is a unique looking forearm so I can see why someone would dig it - but adding a carry handle to the CASV or proposing a way to raise the front sight 1/2 inch and moving the rear sight onto the CASV is not a good plan. Please convince your buddy to go with either the CASV or the carry handle, but not both. He will thank you in the morning.

civilsnake
11-03-2008, 9:23 PM
I don't get the fascination with the CASV, but anyways...

If he wants a free float handguard that doesn't require replacing the barrel nut, and doesn't have the crappy issues of the CASV, tell him to go with the Daniel Defense OMEGA.

Frankly I think it just looks cool. I wouldn't use one simply because it would make it a PITA to cowitness with optics. But aesthetics mean a lot to some people, and he just happens to like the look of them both. Basically, he wants his EBR to look as evil as possible.

I've tried to steer him toward the Omega, and he may end up going that route, but I figured I'd check all options for him.