PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 650 with warren autodrive issues any help is appreciated!

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 10:55 AM
I recently installed a 900rph Ponsness warren autodrive on my Dillon 650 and a Mr bullet feeder. I use a LEE undersized decaping and resizing die in station #1 to remove glock bulge station #2 is powder drop and expand, #3 is mr bullet feeder, #4 is hornady bullet seating die and #5 is LEE carbide FCD. I am havig an issue on the down strike it seems really rough so rough that it keeps knocking over the new shell coming into station #1 I think the powder drop/ belling die is the culprit like it's not letting go of the case smoothly but can't figure out what to do. I have tried spraying all my brass with a shot of case lube but the problem is still there any ideas? I have tinkered with it for hours already trying to get it to run smooth but I'm about to give up, I was loading with this same set up minus the auto drive and would only ever have an issue if a stray piece of corn cob media made its way through the case feed set up. Thanks for any advice.

santacruzgunner
01-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Want caliber?

CAL.BAR
01-24-2017, 1:57 PM
Well, just from your post I see you have multiple different brands of Dies running there. I use ONLY Dillon parts in my DILLON machine, and have not yet had a problem. Might start with the multiple different mfg's.

Also, from running my Dillion for years now, they are so touchy and prone to small glitches in the virtually every stage of the process, I can't fathom automating the process and getting a good result. Surely SOMTHING will be out of spec. and will stop the system.

Gringo Bandito
01-24-2017, 2:17 PM
I suspect your undersized die may be the problem. The undersized die is causing the case to be jammed into the powder dropper and it is getting wedged in.
If your dillon die is properly adjusted, you should not have any issues with glock bulge at all. I recommend changing out the dies and trying again.

I ran into the same problem with my 650..Now I only use Lee standard dies for everything and think they are better than the dillons.

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 2:22 PM
Right now I have it set up for 40s&w haven't tried any other calibers yet.

As for the different brand dies this is the best combination of dies that has worked for me, I chose each die because it works the best for me. I use the LEE under size die in station #1 to remove the bulge at the bottom of 40 brass that has been shot from a glock. I use the Hornady bullet seating die in station #4 because I like how it has the guide to help keep the bullet straight and aligned while seating it. I use the LEE carbide Factory crimp die for station #5 because it gives a good crimp on all pieces of brass that go through it even if the brass aren't all exactly the same length it also makes sure any belling is ironed out.

I personally only have one Dillon Die its a 9mm sizing die it works pretty good. Does the Dillon 40 S&W sizing die remove glock bulges?

This is the same combo of dies I have used for the last few years I have been reloading and have not had a problem while loading by hand.

I just finished taking it all apart and starting from square one making sure everything is lined up just right and works nice and smooth, I have narrowed down the roughness or jolt coming from the brass releasing from the case mouth expanding die. Thinking maybe it's an extra tight fit since I use the under sized sizing die. I use alcohol/ lanolin case lube on all of my cases while loading but to be sure it wasn't lacking case lube I used some imperial sizing wax directly on the expander and also in the case mouth and it still has the jolt. Maybe I sub counsiously slowndown on the down stroke when loading by hand and so this causes it not to be such a hard release where the auto drive has a constant speed? Think I'm gonna try one of those router speed controls from harbor freight maybe if I slow it down it won't be as bad. Sorry for the long message just putting all of my thoughts and facts out there so there is more to work with here. Thanks

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 2:26 PM
Gringo bandito looks like we are on the same page. Just can't figure out why this setup has worked well for me before the autodrive but I'm suspecting I just got used to hard release while loading by hand and must sub counsiously slow down in the down stroke where the autondrive is a constant speed. That's my best guess anyways.

Gringo Bandito
01-24-2017, 2:34 PM
Gringo bandito looks like we are on the same page. Just can't figure out why this setup has worked well for me before the autodrive but I'm suspecting I just got used to hard release while loading by hand and must sub counsiously slow down in the down stroke where the autondrive is a constant speed. That's my best guess anyways.

I found the same issue using the same die while loading .40 and switched back to the dillon die because of it. I now run the lee dies because i switched to a 1050 and mark 7.

There is a trick with the dillon die. Sand or mill the bottom of the die until you just touch the carbide insert..That helps to move the die as far down as possible.

Are you case gauging your reloads? Is the glock bulge preventing the bullets from fitting in your barrel? Do they bind in the chamber?

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 2:48 PM
Well I don't have the glock bulge after loading the brass since I use the EGW U die. I learned about the glock bulge when I first got into reloading a few years ago the brass wouldn't chamber in my Xd40 and wouldn't fit in my case gauge nicely like they do now.

Gringo Bandito
01-24-2017, 2:51 PM
Well I don't have the glock bulge after loading the brass since I use the EGW U die. I learned about the glock bulge when I first got into reloading a few years ago the brass wouldn't chamber in my Xd40 and wouldn't fit in my case gauge nicely like they do now.

Are you sure it was due to the bulge and not your crimp?

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 2:53 PM
Gringo Bandito would you happen to have a Dillon 40 sizing die you wanna sell since you switched back to the LEE dies? Lol

How do you like the mark 7 is it pretty smooth? I thought about one for my 650 for about 30 seconds before I saw the price lol

Gringo Bandito
01-24-2017, 2:53 PM
http://dillonprecision.net/crimpit/

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 2:55 PM
Yeah if I remember right if I flipped the brass around and tried to put it in the case gauge backwards it would hang up around the web of the brass where the bulge was.

Gringo Bandito
01-24-2017, 3:00 PM
Gringo Bandito would you happen to have a Dillon 40 sizing die you wanna sell since you switched back to the LEE dies? Lol

How do you like the mark 7 is it pretty smooth? I thought about one for my 650 for about 30 seconds before I saw the price lol

Haha. No. I keep everything just in case something breaks.. Hell, I just used an RCBS 9mm seating die that is 25 years old..lol

I am doing the mark 7 conversion tomorrow actually...my 9mm Lee dies just showed up today. New tool head and all the goodies should be here tomorrow.

Buy the lee die via amazon for $17 bucks..And buy the hardened pins from the seller "squirrel daddy"..

BTW I own an ammo company that is located in the east bay and since switching to the lee dies, everything case gauges better.

Gringo Bandito
01-24-2017, 3:03 PM
Yeah if I remember right if I flipped the brass around and tried to put it in the case gauge backwards it would hang up around the web of the brass where the bulge was.

Last of the silly questions...The decapping die was set up to touch the shellplate with the handle at the bottom of the stoke correct?

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 3:09 PM
Yep it was I usually thread it down until it touches the shell plate with the ram all the way up then lower the ram a hair and turn it in just a touch just to make sure it's a good solid contact then tighten the lock nut then insert a piece of brass size the brass and at the top of the stroke with the brass all the way into the die loosen the lock nut and then tighten it again to make sure everything is lined up.

DGoodale
01-24-2017, 3:18 PM
Is the Dillon a break-over style press where the high point of the stroke is just above bottom? If so, then your answer is no.

MrElectric03
01-24-2017, 5:35 PM
I've thought about an autodrive for the 650 but I don't trust it for loading. The 1050 would be fine because the shellplate is always in perfect alignment with the dowels from the toolhead passing through the shell plate. I wanted one just for depriming.

An undersized die still doesn't get the entire case. The only way you will do that is with a pass through die like a Redding grx. That's what I use. I run it through there first and then run it through the 650 to load. First thing I would do is change that size die out.

Are you using the Dillon powder funnel or the mr. Bulletfeeder funnel?

mxrick55555
01-24-2017, 6:36 PM
A 1050 with auto drive would be awesome but still out of my price range for now. I originally got the autodrive with 223 brass processing in mind so hopefully once I am done loading up all of my 40 brass and switch to 223 it will work like I'm hopping. Really thinking it's that sizing die guess I'm gonna have to pick one up to find out. By for now guess I will switch it back to manual to load up my 40 since it works fine with the dies when I load by hand.

I'm using the mr bullet feeder funnel.

The under size die seems to get the entire bulge to me as the loaded rounds all fit in my Wilson case guage and gun barrel fine.
If I'm remembering right as long at the sizer reaches past the web of the brass it gets the bulge since the bulge would be from the web towards the case mouth. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MrElectric03
01-24-2017, 8:26 PM
I don't find much brass with the glock bulge anymore. I still run all of my range brass .40 and 10mm through the grx die anyway. None of my guns have unsupported chambers so I don't need to run that brass though it. Your die may be getting all the way down, depends on how much taper the carbide (or steel) has in the bottom. It makes the brass start in the die easier but leaves part of the brass untouched. I had this issue with Hornady dies, even with the shellplate hitting the die it left enough at the base to keep it from gauging . Now I stick to Dillon, rcbs, and Redding dies.

I still want an autodrive for one of my 650s. I plan on only using it for depriming and am hoping to use it for rifle case prep like you mentioned. Anxious to see how yours works out. Ponsness Warren is a 15 min drive from me but haven't had the funds available yet.

mxrick55555
02-12-2017, 8:02 PM
Update on my issue, I bought and tried a Dillon carbide sizing decapping die for 40 and was still having the same issues with the brass coming into station one falling over as the shell plate was going down, so this is telling me the issue isn't from my under sized die, also even after grinding the Dillon die mouth down to where the opening is flush with the carbide I was still having a glock bulge in my brass they wouldn't drop all the way into my case gauge.

So I gave up on loading 40 for now and switched over to processing 223 which was the main reason I bough the autodrive in the first place, I was able to process about 5000 pieces but in the process I broke 5 indexing rings before saying screw it and giving up on using it to process 223. The rings would break because some of the military crimped primers would hang up in the primer pockets instead of being pushed all the way out and this would cause the shell plate to bind on the shell plate carrier and would snap the plastic ring.

So now I'm set up to load 9mm and yep it's still not working 100% it's doing the same with 9mm as with 40 every few rounds the piece of brass on the station 1 locator falls over on the rams down stroke So frustrating! Any ideas what is wrong here? I am stumped.

Here is a video to help show what is going on. https://youtu.be/3U1lHhkWxJ0

mjmagee67
02-12-2017, 9:52 PM
It's your case feeder.....CALL Dillon. They have seen/heard it all.