PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Caliber AR Upper

offrdmania
11-03-2008, 8:37 AM
Does anyone make a 40 S&W AR upper which uses a standard size magazine or is there anyone who makes a standard size magazine kit for the pistol calibers? I see Olympic arms has an upper but it uses Uzi magazines and looks a bit funny with a little skinny magazine hanging down out of that wide well.

gunrun45
11-03-2008, 9:29 AM
Uh...
No. Not to my knowledge.
I have owned that Oly upper and it worked flawlesly.
I think someone is now making a COlt patern 40S&W upper but it also uses "skinny mags" as you called them.

melensdad
11-03-2008, 9:34 AM
Does anyone make a 40 S&W AR upper which uses a standard size magazine or is there anyone who makes a standard size magazine kit for the pistol calibers? I see Olympic arms has an upper but it uses Uzi magazines and looks a bit funny with a little skinny magazine hanging down out of that wide well.
Actually Olympic Arms makes 2 different 9mm uppers. One uses STEN magazines. The other uses GLOCK magazines. I have the STEN version, it runs flawlessly and surplus STEN magazines are cheap to buy.

I believe that OLY also makes a 40S&W upper. I don't know anyone who has one of those. My 9mm AR carbine runs flawlessly. BTW they don't use a gas operation, they are simply recoil operated.

freakshow10mm
11-03-2008, 10:13 AM
The Sten mags are modified Sten mags. They are $60 each and consist of a welded extention that fills the upper end of the mag catch area. They are a tight fit, so if you want to do a quick mag drop, good luck.

offrdmania
11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Actually Olympic Arms makes 2 different 9mm uppers. One uses STEN magazines. The other uses GLOCK magazines. I have the STEN version, it runs flawlessly and surplus STEN magazines are cheap to buy.

I believe that OLY also makes a 40S&W upper. I don't know anyone who has one of those. My 9mm AR carbine runs flawlessly. BTW they don't use a gas operation, they are simply recoil operated.
Works just like a .22 bolt. I wonder if I could get black dog machine to mold up a magazine

melensdad
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
The Sten mags are modified Sten mags. They are $60 each and consist of a welded extention that fills the upper end of the mag catch area. They are a tight fit, so if you want to do a quick mag drop, good luck.

Well yes, you could pay $60 per magazine, or you could simply insert a mag well block in place and use STEN magazines. I think I paid $6 each for 30 round STEN magazines last summer. No need for the modified, and shockingly expensive magazines.

technique
11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
$6 per rebuild kit?

Well yes, you could pay $60 per magazine, or you could simply insert a mag well block in place and use STEN magazines. I think I paid $6 each for 30 round STEN magazines last summer. No need for the modified, and shockingly expensive magazines.

melensdad
11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
$6 per rebuild kit?

NO. $6 for complete magazines. They had bits of surface rust on them. They were surplus, very useable, but not terribly pretty to look at. But as my momma said, its the personality, not the outward beauty that counts :cool2:

aplinker
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
NO. $6 for complete magazines. They had bits of surface rust on them. They were surplus, very useable, but not terribly pretty to look at. But as my momma said, its the personality, not the outward beauty that counts :cool2:

I think his question was regarding CA law regarding large capacity mags.

ohsmily
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I think his question was regarding CA law regarding large capacity mags.

Some people can't be helped.

shark92651
11-03-2008, 2:54 PM

http://sydlexia.com/blogstuff/ackbar_its_a_trap.jpg

:D

tyrist
11-03-2008, 4:13 PM
I have the RRA 9mm upper and magblock. I finally got to use it today and was impressed. Worked pretty good except when I accidently overloaded one magazine and caused a slight malfunction. You might beable to jam one more round it but it will not feed it right.

Other than that one issue it worked without hiccups for 200 rounds. Not as accurate as a 223 but...I mean it's more of a CQB firearm anyway. I don't think I would use it as long distance in the first place. At 20 bucks for a box of 100 rounds it's a deal compared to 223 as well.

JagerTroop
11-03-2008, 4:16 PM
NO. $6 for complete magazines...

:kest: