PDA

View Full Version : 223 case prep. Mi2anal?

dkonrai
01-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Processing 223.

Bucket wash, get crude out. Spray lube with home made lanolin and alcohol.
Deprime.
Resize.
Case gauge.
Trim, deburr, case gauge again.
Ream primer pocket.
Wet tumble ss pins, dawn, ls. Rinse, dunk in car wash, rinse again.
Towel tumble. Wipe cases with microfiber cloth. Place in mesh bag to dry.
Ami2anal?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TomReloaded
01-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Is this precision ammo? If not, yes by far.

dkonrai
01-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Is this precision ammo? If not, yes by far.
Range fodder, need some better optics to see how tight I can get groups.
Yes kiss crimp too.

dkonrai
01-21-2017, 10:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/6272db297152082e638d3b6238b19a0d.jpg

Dnele928
01-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Details on your case gauge? Enquiring minds want to know. Many thanks.

BigBronco
01-21-2017, 11:00 PM
You forgot Primer pocket uniforming and flash hole deburring.

So no you ain't anal enough

rcslotcar
01-21-2017, 11:00 PM
If it works for you, keep it up.

bigdawg86
01-21-2017, 11:31 PM
I tumble in walnut, lube, decap / size, trim, swage, tumble overnight in corn cob. I can't decide or not if it's worth the time to chamfer inside case neck or not given I am typically loading for AR plinking...

Divernhunter
01-21-2017, 11:36 PM
It is your brass so do what you want.

Paseclipse
01-22-2017, 12:04 AM
You forgot to check for incipient case head separation with a paper clip.

Can't ever be too careful.

baih777
01-22-2017, 1:47 AM

^^^^^^this
And you forgot the primer pocket GO and NOGO Swage gauge from Ballistic Tools.

bazineta
01-22-2017, 5:03 AM
Grasshopper, when you can remove the case gauge from my hand...you will be anal enough.

Start with the ugliest Lake City you can find.
Deprime with Lee Universal deprimer, but using aftermarket hardened steel depriming pin for same.
Tumble in SS pins with Lemishine and Armor-All Wash and Wax
Dry cases in dehydrator.
Dip necks in Imperial dry neck lube
Lube body with Imperial wax
Size using Redding competition shellholder to exact SAMMI minimum
Verify headspace with Redding Instant Indicator
Wipe off lube with microfiber cloth
Trim to exact trim-to length
Chamfer / debur neck
Flash hole debur
Swage with Dillon 600
Primer pocket uniform
Test primer pocket with Ballistic Tools Go/No go gauge
Case gauge
Prime using 21st Century priming tool

Someday, there'll be an AMP annealing step in there. Someday...

JackEllis
01-22-2017, 7:07 AM
My take, which is probably worth less than you're paying for it: If you have plenty of time, be as anal about case prep as you like. I wash before neck sizing to get rid of dirt and again after sizing to get rid of lube, but it's a simple wash. I could care less if the cases shine so I don't tumble, and I don;t need to deburr flash holes and do all the other stuff one might otherwise do for precision shooting.

I spend my time on the charging and seating steps. I weight the cases, weigh the bullets, and then weigh each charge. When I've seated the bullet, I weigh the completed cartridge. I don't need match accuracy but I do need both hands and both eyes for at least the next 30-odd years.

I shoot only bolt rifles so doing this for two or three dozen cartridges this way with a single stage press isn't too terrible. I may change my tune after loading a couple hundred cartridges for an upcoming varmint hunt.

dkonrai
01-22-2017, 7:25 AM
Details on your case gauge? Enquiring minds want to know. Many thanks.
Just a dillon case gauge.

dkonrai
01-22-2017, 7:25 AM

Yes I deburr the primer pockets

dkonrai
01-22-2017, 7:28 AM
Grasshopper, when you can remove the case gauge from my hand...you will be anal enough.

Start with the ugliest Lake City you can find.
Deprime with Lee Universal deprimer, but using aftermarket hardened steel depriming pin for same.
Tumble in SS pins with Lemishine and Armor-All Wash and Wax
Dry cases in dehydrator.
Verify headspace with Redding Instant Indicator
Wipe off lube with microfiber cloth
Chamfer / debur neck
Flash hole debur
Swage with Dillon 600
Primer pocket uniform
Test primer pocket with Ballistic Tools Go/No go gauge
Case gauge
Prime using 21st Century priming tool

Someday, there'll be an AMP annealing step in there. Someday...
Now I have a new benchmark. Wow....

dkonrai
01-22-2017, 7:32 AM
My take, which is probably worth less than you're paying for it: If you have plenty of time, be as anal about case prep as you like. I wash before neck sizing to get rid of dirt and again after sizing to get rid of lube, but it's a simple wash. I could care less if the cases shine so I don't tumble, and I don;t need to deburr flash holes and do all the other stuff one might otherwise do for precision shooting.

I spend my time on the charging and seating steps. I weight the cases, weigh the bullets, and then weigh each charge. When I've seated the bullet, I weigh the completed cartridge. I don't need match accuracy but I do need both hands and both eyes for at least the next 30-odd years.

I shoot only bolt rifles so doing this for two or three dozen cartridges this way with a single stage press isn't too terrible. I may change my tune after loading a couple hundred cartridges for an upcoming varmint hunt.
Yes I weigh my projos. I don't weigh my cases. My dad used to weigh cases, however I'm just shooting this out of ars.

MrElectric03
01-22-2017, 8:05 AM
It's a bit more than I do for range ammo. For .223 I run a quick tumble with dawn and no pins, lube and run them through the press to deprime, size, and trim. Then tumble with pins and air dry. They are then bagged until I'm ready to load. They get swaged when the run the the 1050 to load.

If you were shooting matches with the ammo I could see being that meticulous. Hey if it works for you keep it up.nothijh wrong with paying more attention to your reloads.

ironhorse1
01-22-2017, 8:31 AM
Ami2anal?

Yes!

Drop cases in tumbler, with corn cob media and polish. Run for one hour.

Size cases and clean primer pockets, trim if needed and chamfer case mouth.

Load cases.

irh

baih777
01-22-2017, 11:07 AM
order this set.

https://ballistictools.com/store/three-gage-pack

Don the savage
01-22-2017, 11:54 AM
How do you dudes have anytime to actually shoot this ammo?

baih777
01-22-2017, 12:19 PM
I have 1200 pieces same headstamp in a 2 gallon bucket. I do this during the winter. Started beginning of DEC. Only took me two weeks working on it an few hours a day. You only have to swage the first time, resizing 1200 on a progressive is really fast. I load as I go during the year. Still testing some powders and bullets.

BigBronco
01-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Shoot it. They are like my children. How can I stock up for WWIII if I shoot it?:rolleyes:

TomReloaded
01-22-2017, 2:44 PM
I scrub the necks with a nylon brush (inside), smear some lube on, then deprime, reprime, fill and set a bullet to the cannilure. If it's new lake city, I'll swage the crimp.

At 100 yards, this shoots identical to sorted, weighed, cleaned, deburred, and meticulously set ammo. Shoots like decent quality hunting ammo. It's no match grade, but doing no work to the case makes great 100yd ammo.

dkonrai
01-22-2017, 4:03 PM
order this set.

Thanks. Looks like I could use a set.
Btw here's today's project. Ran out of h335.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/889f87bc899daf34ac112ba5378313c5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/a153d87a712e9cd8acce12b81f088e98.jpg

dkonrai
01-22-2017, 4:06 PM
I'm one of "those" guys. Stays at the range the whole day.
I try to scrounge whatever brass I can get too.

dkonrai
01-22-2017, 4:07 PM
I scrub the necks with a nylon brush (inside), smear some lube on, then deprime, reprime, fill and set a bullet to the cannilure. If it's new lake city, I'll swage the crimp.

At 100 yards, this shoots identical to sorted, weighed, cleaned, deburred, and meticulously set ammo. Shoots like decent quality hunting ammo. It's no match grade, but doing no work to the case makes great 100yd ammo.
Ya I figured that. It all started because I wanted to keep my dies clean. Then it got out of hand.

TomReloaded
01-22-2017, 4:30 PM
I just clean my dies every now and then, but honestly there's not much to clean in the dies. The lube mixes with garage dust and that dirties up my gear more than anything.

bazineta
01-22-2017, 6:49 PM
Ya I figured that. It all started because I wanted to keep my dies clean. Then it got out of hand.

Anything worth doing...is worth overdoing.

nivekeel
01-22-2017, 9:48 PM
order this set.

I have this set. They are great gauges. Highly recommended.

MarikinaMan
01-23-2017, 5:09 PM
Seems a bit much in processes that can be achieved in a simpler way.

Why case gauge multiple times? Case gauge after loading. Use a bullet puller on the bad loads. Saves you hundreds of actions.

Why bucket wash? Put it in the rotary tumbler and do a pre-wash it without pins for 15 minutes.

Why towel dry? Buy a moving blanket and lay them out to dry. Or use more lemishine, which is a water softener, and just hang them to dry in the laundry bag.

Why do you have 3-4 washes? Wash with dawn for the pre-wash. Youll be surprised, its almost good enough to forego the pins. Wash with car wash when you tumble. Saves one or two washes.

bigdawg86
01-23-2017, 8:15 PM
I honestly don't shoot that much... But I have somehow ended up with 20k plus 223 and am always loading more. I am only on a single stage. Reloading is a hobby itself regardless of how much you shoot. I hope this year I can get a progressive... Hell even if for only brass prep.

I don't know if I want a dillon 1050, or a Hornady lock and load... I like the swage kit the lock n load has... Those are better IMO than a dillon 650 in regards to case prep

Rgarbarino
01-23-2017, 8:41 PM
I'm currently working on 1000 rounds.

Deprime with Lee Universal deprimer
Tumble in SS pins with Lemishine and Dawn
Dry cases in the oven.
Size using RCBS AR small base dies
Chamfer / debur neck
Prime with RCBS hand primer
Charge with H322
Hornady 55gr Vmax bullets
LE Wilson Case gauge

After initial load tests with 100 rounds or varying charges I found my ideal load, 21.4 gr of H322 gave me the best groups.

Right now I just finished priming the remaining 900 cases.

donnrcp
01-24-2017, 11:11 AM
dkonrai, how is the lanolin lube working out? Is it 1 part lanolin to 8 parts 90% or better isopropyl alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacrat
01-24-2017, 5:37 PM
Processing 223.

Bucket wash, get crude out. Spray lube with home made lanolin and alcohol.
Deprime.
Resize.
Case gauge.
Trim, deburr, case gauge again.
Ream primer pocket.
Wet tumble ss pins, dawn, ls. Rinse, dunk in car wash, rinse again.
Towel tumble. Wipe cases with microfiber cloth. Place in mesh bag to dry.
Ami2anal?

If you feel it necessary to ask. Chances are the answer is YES. :D

dkonrai
01-24-2017, 5:53 PM
dkonrai, how is the lanolin lube working out? Is it 1 part lanolin to 8 parts 90% or better isopropyl alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly? It works pretty good. I'm sorry no science on the mix. I just sort of put a blob about 1/3 or so or the 4 oz bottle to 16 oz of alcohol. First batch I used 99.99 second batch regular 90 perc. I don't notice much difference.

dkonrai
01-24-2017, 5:55 PM
I'm currently working on 1000 rounds.

Deprime with Lee Universal deprimer
Tumble in SS pins with Lemishine and Dawn
Dry cases in the oven.
Size using RCBS AR small base dies
Chamfer / debur neck
Prime with RCBS hand primer
Charge with H322
Hornady 55gr Vmax bullets
LE Wilson Case gauge

After initial load tests with 100 rounds or varying charges I found my ideal load, 21.4 gr of H322 gave me the best groups.

Right now I just finished priming the remaining 900 cases.
Are these loads in a bolt action? My 10.5 seems to like 24 gr h335 55 Hornady fmj.

TomReloaded
01-24-2017, 6:06 PM
322 loads a few grains lighter than 335. It makes for slow velocity, but great accuracy.

H3nchman
01-24-2017, 6:47 PM
I am loading 223 right. I don't have a universal decapping die. I tumble in walnut then resize. Does anyone have a good way to get the media out of the cases. Even when. I tap them on the side of the tumbler, some media stays in. I have to brush the inside of every case. Seems to take too long.

dkonrai
01-24-2017, 7:06 PM
I am loading 223 right. I don't have a universal decapping die. I tumble in walnut then resize. Does anyone have a good way to get the media out of the cases. Even when. I tap them on the side of the tumbler, some media stays in. I have to brush the inside of every case. Seems to take too long.
That is why I use ss pins. Got tired of getting the little stuck pieces out.

bigdawg86
01-24-2017, 7:11 PM
I tumble in walnut before sizing / decapping... Then when I'm done with all case prep, I tumble in fine corn cob. That gets all lube off, shines, and the particles are too small to get stuck in case and flash hole. Then I'm ready to prime.

Rgarbarino
01-24-2017, 7:26 PM
Are these loads in a bolt action? My 10.5 seems to like 24 gr h335 55 Hornady fmj.

No, shooting from a 24" White Oak Armament barreled AR. They are tac drivers.

Rgarbarino
01-24-2017, 7:33 PM
I tumble in walnut before sizing / decapping... Then when I'm done with all case prep, I tumble in fine corn cob. That gets all lube off, shines, and the particles are too small to get stuck in case and flash hole. Then I'm ready to prime.

What's nice about the SS pins is you only have to tumble once AFTER decapping because the pins actually get into the primer pocket and clean it really well.

Decap, tumble, then size.

bigdawg86
01-24-2017, 7:38 PM
What's nice about the SS pins is you only have to tumble once AFTER decapping because the pins actually get into the primer pocket and clean it really well.

Since I'm on a single stage I'd rather tumble twice than pull the lever another 1000 times to decap and size in separate functions. Different strokes different folks.

dkonrai
01-24-2017, 8:33 PM

I deprime, resize, primer pocket ream. Then wet tumble. It seems to get the shavings out.
Also I do use a magnet to seperate the pins.

Rgarbarino
01-24-2017, 8:52 PM
Since I'm on a single stage I'd rather tumble twice than pull the lever another 1000 times to decap and size in separate functions. Different strokes different folks.

I'm on a single stage too but what I do is decap the rounds I shoot that day so i'm only doing small batches not a ton at once. I hear you though because the first 1000 rounds I loaded had A LOT of handle pulls!

dkonrai
01-26-2017, 6:03 PM
I'm on a single stage too but what I do is decap the rounds I shoot that day so i'm only doing small batches not a ton at once. I hear you though because the first 1000 rounds I loaded had A LOT of handle pulls!
Yes that single is work. I finally used up 8 pounds of powder.
I really need to buy the dillon conversion 223.

Metal God
01-26-2017, 9:12 PM
I deprime first so the ss pins clean inside the primer pocket . Since I went to wet tumbling I've actually saved time because I no longer need to brush the insides on my necks or clean primer pockets .

I saw this in a earlier post

May I ask why you size to SAAMI minimum rather then your chamber minus a few thousandths ?

bazineta
01-27-2017, 6:08 AM
May I ask why you size to SAAMI minimum rather then your chamber minus a few thousandths ?

You certainly may. Those are going to be fired in a semi, at relatively short range, so reliability is king. I size rounds used for hunting in the same way. Bolt gun used for targets at longer range, different story.

SixPointEight
01-28-2017, 6:38 AM
Op doesn't anneal and turn necks? Next You'll tell me you aren't even testing for concentricity. You're not doing enough.

I like to spend at least 2 hours per loaded round.

/sarcasm

Reloading is a hobby, do what makes you happy.

dkonrai
01-28-2017, 6:30 PM
Op doesn't anneal and turn necks? Next You'll tell me you aren't even testing for concentricity. You're not doing enough.

I like to spend at least 2 hours per loaded round.

/sarcasm

Reloading is a hobby, do what makes you happy.
I've been rolling my rounds, so to say. Watching to see concentricy. No dial indicator set up yet.
I have been looking at annealing tho. Lol.

Maximus924
03-03-2017, 2:56 PM
I guess im lazy...
I do the following to 223 brass:

Deprime/resize (one die)
Inspect for damage after resize
hit it on Worlds finest trimmer
debur inside/outside clean on primer using Frankford Case Prep center
(this can also trim, but im setting it up to trim Grendel)
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/628/628405.jpg

Then when all the brass I am working on has been completed to this point, I tumble in a Frankford wet tumbler and I am ready to prime