PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help me: need basic SAN FRANCISCO gun laws

thefinger
11-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi guys, I need a little help here. I'm a long time Sacramento resident, so I'm not up-to-date on the ever-changing SF gun laws. My girlfriend is living in SF, and I'd like to help her get a gun. Some threats have been made towards her family, and she really wants a firearm of some sort to keep her safe when at home.

I need to know the basic gun laws for San Francisco residents. What can/can't you keep in your home if you live in SF?

1) Can you possess a handgun in your home?
2) Can you possess a shotgun/rifle in your home?
3) If you can keep a firearm in your home, must it be locked?
4) If you keep a firearm in your home, can it be stored loaded?

Thanks for the help.

-finger

csmintel
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
1. yes
2.yes
3.yes
4.yes

rrr70
11-02-2008, 10:33 PM
1) yes
2) yes
3) no (long guns only, hand gun have to be locked)
4) yes (long guns, not handgun)

But, what they don't know, shouldn't bother them.:D

And, don't buy guns or ammo in the city. From what I've been told, dealer have to report it to police. Sucks, I know.:mad:

Librarian
11-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Read this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=128982); Cliff Notes: Voters passed Proposition H in 2005 which would have affected the (1) you mention. It was challenged in court, lost and never took effect; appealed and lost again.

Police code (http://www.municode.com/Resources/ClientCode_List.asp?cn=San+Francisco&sid=5&cid=4201) does say handguns must be locked: SEC. 4512. HANDGUNS LOCATED IN A RESIDENCE TO BE KEPT IN A LOCKED CONTAINER OR DISABLED WITH A TRIGGER LOCK.

(a) Prohibition. No person shall keep a handgun within a residence owned or controlled by that person unless the handgun is stored in a locked container or disabled with a trigger lock that has been approved by the California Department of Justice.

DA Kamala Harris famously said (http://cbs5.com/politics/san.francisco.gun.2.455726.html)(May 16, 2007) "Just because you legally possess a gun in the sanctity of your locked home doesn't mean that we're not going to walk into that home and check to see if you're being responsible and safe in the way that you conduct your affairs," Harris said.

Nothing in Police Code about storing any firearm loaded or unloaded, nor in Health nor Fire codes, that I can find this late at night.

If one of our other folks could point out the restriction on loaded storage - remembering to exclude 36A, as that's the dead Prop H stuff - I'd appreciate it.

rivviepop
11-03-2008, 1:24 PM
It's yes yes no yes - the issue with #3 and #4 has to do if someone who can gain access to that firearm who should not (either a child, convicted felon, whatever). It's probably very easy to get convicted of leaving a loaded, unlocked handgun within reach of a minor for just leaving your front door unlocked while getting the morning paper. It's just a bad idea to do, so best to protect yourself from legal hassles.

Your girlfriend should get (or you can get it for her :) ) a GunVault -- it's a very small one-gun safe that can be mounted almost anywhere, and has an easy push-button code for opening it. The door has a nice strong hinge to pop it open and provide you instant access to your loaded firearm, while providing the security that the firearm cannot be accessed by a minor.

You can find a GunVault online or at any of the local shops (such as High Bridge on the corner of Mission & Valencia).

Wildhawk66
11-03-2008, 1:45 PM
"Just because you legally possess a gun in the sanctity of your locked home doesn't mean that we're not going to walk into that home and check to see if you're being responsible and safe in the way that you conduct your affairs," Harris said.

This very public statement imply's that this DA would intentionally use their office to violate the 4th amendment while persecuting people who legally excercise their 2A rights. Is this person still a DA?!

rrr70
11-03-2008, 2:01 PM
This very public statement imply's that this DA would intentionally use their office to violate the 4th amendment while persecuting people who legally excercise their 2A rights. Is this person still a DA?!

Yes she is. She is DA who refused to ask for a death penalty for cop killer, because she personally against capital punishment.

dfletcher
11-03-2008, 3:46 PM
She's also the DA whose office took federal money for dealing with illegal aliens in a "sanctuary" city and of course did nothing; and who also will not seek the death penalty against the ileegal alien who killed a hard working DA and his two kids. She should be impeached, instead she'll probably run for Senator.

CA_Libertarian
11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
1) yes
2) yes
3) no (long guns only, hand gun have to be locked)
4) yes (long guns, not handgun)

But, what they don't know, shouldn't bother them.:D

And, don't buy guns or ammo in the city. From what I've been told, dealer have to report it to police. Sucks, I know.:mad:

Can you provide citations for #3 & 4? I've never heard of these laws before, and am eager to learn.

Liberty1
11-04-2008, 1:15 AM
I'm not up for a citation just this moment (someone else perhaps can help) BUT if it is carried in a holster the pistol doesn't have to be locked up in SF!

Saw a cool bumper sticker today. It read

ODINGA / BIDEN

Librarian
11-04-2008, 2:02 AM
Can you provide citations for #3 & 4? I've never heard of these laws before, and am eager to learn.
I posted the citation for #3 (handguns locked) in post 4. #4 is probably 'yes, you can store loaded' because no one can find anything, so far, that is SF specific on the point.

State doesn't care about either one generally; there is that problem of minors getting access that is illegal, but that isn't 'you gotta keep it locked'.

M. Sage
11-04-2008, 6:55 AM
IMO, and I'm not a lawyer so my opinion is worth squat, preemption kills #3 in SF.

Again IMO, if I'm in my own home, then...

rivviepop
11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Again IMO, if I'm in my own home, then...

...then the only time you'll see a loaded weapon in my home is if it's in my hand and asking you kindly to put your hands on your head. It comes out of the safe for a) practice, b) checking the safe release (batteries), and c) checking the weapon (dried lube, etc.). Any other time it would come out is in defense, you'll never know I have it handy otherwise.