PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about my FAL

StrangeBrew
11-02-2008, 8:35 PM
I have a FAL I built a few years ago (actually DSA did) I supplied the parts. Its a Gear logo receiver with SA parts kit. Unfortunately I never really shoot it and want to trade it for an M1A.

What do you think my chances are if any, to trade my FAL for a SA M1A loaded?

forgiven
11-02-2008, 8:38 PM
Slim. M1A's seem to be a very hot item. But then again, you never know.

StrangeBrew
11-02-2008, 8:43 PM
Another question.

Is the loaded worth the extra cash over the standard? I am not that worried about accuracy, but mostly durability/reliability. I would keep the FAL but would rather have a detachable magazine without the bullet button.

69Mach1
11-02-2008, 8:47 PM
It doesn't hurt to try. You may have to throw in some extra cash or parts. The M1A "Loaded" is worth the extra cash. The improvement in trigger pull is awesome. You also get a National Match barrel and front sight.

aplinker
11-02-2008, 11:28 PM
If you can, get the loaded with a SS barrel. That rig is worth the money.

You're about $700 upside down, though.

StrangeBrew
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, if I am just looking for a reliable semi auto in 308. Wouldn't the standard model suit me fine? Its a bit lighter as well right?

IH8CALAWS
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Post a thread in the market place looking for a trade. I posted my Imbel/Imbel build a few mo's ago and got alot of responses for trades, one being a m1a socom. There's a chance you will find someone with a std model but I doubt you will find a loaded for trade. The loaded model is about $2000 new and a few hundred less used, used FAL's go for $500-$950 typicly(depending on parts used and condition). I ended up keeping mine in the end because I just couldn't part with it. Good luck

StrangeBrew
11-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Post a thread in the market place looking for a trade. I posted my Imbel/Imbel build a few mo's ago and got alot of responses for trades, one being a m1a socom. There's a chance you will find someone with a std model but I doubt you will find a loaded for trade. The loaded model is about $2000 new and a few hundred less used, used FAL's go for $500-$950 typicly(depending on parts used and condition). I ended up keeping mine in the end because I just couldn't part with it. Good luck

Well I put it up for sale. I hope I'm not making a mistake trading it for an M1A, but I think not having to fiddle with the fixed mag/bullet button is worth it IMO. I just hope it will be as reliable as my FAL was.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=129543

Sumo99
11-03-2008, 1:27 PM
Well, if I am just looking for a reliable semi auto in 308. Wouldn't the standard model suit me fine? Its a bit lighter as well right?

Yes, the standard is fine, albiet, the loaded is just a bit nicer. I think the weight difference is about .5 pound.

If you do decide on an M1A, whatever model, I would just make sure it has a forged bolt. I'm not sure how common non-forged bolts are, but they are out there. To check, there should be a "F" as part of the part number.

StrangeBrew
11-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I got an offer

My FAL +$250 for a standard M1A with synthetic stock and 150rnds through it.

Yay or nay? :)

-hanko
11-06-2008, 5:11 AM
I got an offer

My FAL +$250 for a standard M1A with synthetic stock and 150rnds through it.

Yay or nay? :)
Springfield?? Any USGI parts??

Looking at your fal, I'm not sure the $250 difference:confused:

Anecdotally, I did a trade last month...a DSA-built STG58 rifle with low round count for a Polytech with TRW trigger group, bolt, and op rod. Built by an armorer in the Army (vetted through an Army buddy). Trade was even-up from the start. Rifle came with 4 USGI mags, extra handguard, and butt stock cleaning kit and combo tool. Guy I traded with is an Army sniper (vetted) who had a few too many 14's, I was/am overloaded with FAL's.

For an FAL trade, I'd definitely post your ad on the FAL files;). Be patient, you may do better than a Springfield.

-hanko

StrangeBrew
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah I think I'll wait for another offer before I drop a few bills on top of the FAL. I wanted to post it on FALfiles, unfortunately I cannot create new posts in their for sale forums.

-hanko
11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah I think I'll wait for another offer before I drop a few bills on top of the FAL. I wanted to post it on FALfiles, unfortunately I cannot create new posts in their for sale forums.
I'd try the equipment exchange on arfcom as an alternative.

-hanko