PDA

View Full Version : Bolt cam is really really hard to remove?

CCWFacts
11-02-2008, 4:01 PM
AR-15 question:

I have a Bushmaster XM-15. I know how to disassemble it but there is a problem: the bolt cam is very hard to remove. I need to pry it out basically. I've seen videos of disassembly where it is just lifted out or pulled out without much force, but in my gun, it needs to be pried out.

I'm sure I could make it easier by lightly filing the edge that is blocking it, but should I do that? Is this normal?

QuarterBoreGunner
11-02-2008, 4:28 PM
Nope that's not normal at all - have you examined the cam pin for excessive wear causing maybe a bur or something?

CCWFacts
11-02-2008, 4:53 PM
I'll see if I can take a good photo of this all. There is some wear on the bolt cam, I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

tankerman
11-02-2008, 5:46 PM
Have you remove the firing pin, then turned it 90*?

CCWFacts
11-02-2008, 6:16 PM
Have you remove the firing pin, then turned it 90*?

Yes! Otherwise it would take a pry-bar to remove it, and then I would need a new bolt carrier / bolt / firing pin before it would shoot again. I'm aware of the sequence: pull out the firing pin retaining pin, drop out the firing pin, rotate the bolt all the way, rotate the bolt cam 90 degrees, then pull it out. I somehow remember I even called Bushmaster about this a few years ago and got no good answer from them.

This rifle shoots great and is 100% reliable but no one would say the parts are beautifully finished. I'm thinking at some point of buying a totally new upper and new trigger group for this thing. On that topic, who can recommend a 16" upper that is made with really beautifully-finished parts and a stainless barrel?

Styles
11-02-2008, 7:06 PM
On that topic, who can recommend a 16" upper that is made with really beautifully-finished parts and a stainless barrel?

If I had the money this is what I would get.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-16-556&cat=56&page=1&search=&since=&status=

It's a bit pricey though. 2nd choice would be a 16" middy from Bravo Co. but it doesn't have the stainless barrel.

ghideon
11-02-2008, 9:01 PM
Sabre Defense has some nice 16inch stainless barrels. But they are pricey.