View Full Version : NFA, the military, and California?

11-02-2008, 2:58 PM
Can an active duty military member stationed out of state bring legally owned (in the state their duty station is in) NFA item into CA on leave?

What about moving state to state? If you purchase an NFA item while stationed in an NFA friendly state, can you bring it with you to a non-NFA friendly state? Is there any sort of exemption for military on that?

11-02-2008, 3:00 PM
what type of NFA item are you talking about.... some are ok most are a no go.

11-02-2008, 4:08 PM
Before taking a NFA item (DD, MG, SBR, SBS) to another state, you need to submit an ATF Form 5320.20 to BATFE, in order to get approval for transport/possession in the state you are going to.

11-02-2008, 4:11 PM
Correct. AOWs and suppressors (silencers) do not need to be 5320.20'd.

Generally if it is legal to own in the state you are going to the ATF will approve it. If it's illegal, they will deny it.

Military personnel do not have an exception to any NFA law unless it is issued to you and using it in accordance with your duty. A personal NFA weapon is not your issued weapon.