PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need info on Private party trans

perc71
11-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Hello.

I know very little about Private party transfer laws in CA. My situation is that my mom and dad lives in So Cal; I live in the bay area. My parents own a proprety in Las Vegas, they have utility bills, property taxes papers, etc to show for. My question:

Is it possible for my Father to purchase a handgun in Nevada that is not in the california list of approved handguns and have the handgun transferred under my name later on. Me and My dad have no NV drivers license, we both have CA licenses. If this is possible, What process do We need to do? Can he purchase the handgun in Vegas under his name and transfer it to me after purchase here in California? I would greatly appreciate any input on this. I don't know where to begin. I purchased and own 4 handguns in CA but the restrictions in Cali is just so much that I cannot purchase the handgun that I have been eyeing for months now. Thank you.

Sincerely

L.L.

AKU SOKU ZAN

C.G.
11-02-2008, 3:46 PM
First of all this is in the wrong forum.

Second, what you are proposing is a "straw" purchase and not legal. Any purchased weapon has to go through a California FFL (unless C & R, but I don't think that is the case here).

If he were a resident of Nevada that decides to move to California, he could sell you the gun though a PPT after registering it here in Cali.

BaronW
11-02-2008, 3:55 PM
I've never done this and I'm just repeating conjecture I've read on here, but:

I believe it is possible for your father to buy the handgun as a legal Nevada resident (I'm assuming he can legally buy a handgun there) and send it to an FFL local to you. The FFL would then check a family transfer exemption box for the safe handgun requirements.

ke6guj
11-02-2008, 7:00 PM
It may be beneficial for your father to get an NV "Seasonal Resident" ID if he is a part-time NV resident.

Federal law allows for a person to be a multi-state resident, and may purchase handguns in either state while he is residing there.

With that NV ID, he should have no problem legally purchasing handguns in NV. Once he owns them, he could send them to a CA FFL for a intrafamily transfer to you.

If he buys them and brings them back to CA for his own personal use, I dunno if that is legal, or if a personal handgun importer form is enough to stay legal.

ke6guj
11-02-2008, 7:10 PM
If he were a resident of Nevada that decides to move to California, he could sell you the gun though a PPT after registering it here in Cali.

Actually, in that situation, he could sell it in a PPT transfer, or register it here in CA as a personal hangun importer. He doesn't have to register it before he PPTs it. He can meet the regs by PPTing it out of his possession within 60 days.

perc71
11-03-2008, 3:56 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but a straw purchase would only be illegal if one party with no criminal background purchase a handgun for a person with criminal background.? I my case, My dad and I both have clean background records. Just simply fed up with the strict CA gun laws

Seesm
11-07-2008, 8:04 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but a straw purchase would only be illegal if one party with no criminal background purchase a handgun for a person with criminal background.? I my case, My dad and I both have clean background records. Just simply fed up with the strict CA gun laws

Sounds for sure reasonable but I still think it would be called a "Straw deal" Rhymes with raw deal... :)