PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 California Law Question

waltmoe
11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Can an Bushmaster XM15 lower that was purchased and registered as an assault weapon prior to the Roberti-Roos California assault weapon BAN have an upper receiver installed with all of the what was illegal STUFF back when that lower was first purchased and registered?

The STUFF would be flash hider, collapsible stock,bayonet lug etc etc. Or does it have to be built with the STUFF that was only legal when it was first registered? Back in the days you could not have flash hiders, collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs etc.

California laws are out of control..

69Mach1
11-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes, registered Assault Weapon can have assault weapons features.

69Mach1
11-02-2008, 11:11 AM
You bought it before the Roberti-Roos ban in 89(?). The federal ban didn't take effect until 1994, but your rifle would have been "pre-ban" anyway, allowing those evil features by Federal law.

50BMGBOB
11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
You could even buy a 50BMG upper to add to it sense it already a registered AW

waltmoe
11-02-2008, 11:21 AM
My lower was purchased in time frame before the last California assault weapons ban when into effect. But during that period after purchase you were not allowed evil features. So what I am reading is since the Fed law has expired I can have all evil features on my Bushmaster lower in California without any issues...

69Mach1
11-02-2008, 11:28 AM
My lower was purchased in time frame before the last California assault weapons ban when into effect. But during that period after purchase you were not allowed evil features. So what I am reading is since the Fed law has expired I can have all evil features on my Bushmaster lower in California without any issues...

Yes. The Federal AW ban ended in 2004. You can add all of those evil features you like. CA legal too.

waltmoe
11-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Thank you very much for the info....I guess it's time to start building... Soon to be a Nevada resident and don't need to be bothered with these California laws...

aplinker
11-02-2008, 11:43 AM
:)

Yes, you can absolutely add all the features, and should!

On behalf of everyone without registered AW it's your civic duty to evilify your rifle to the max. :p

You absolutely need a good collapsible stock (LMT SOPMOD, VLTOR, Magpul) a solid flash suppressor (AAC Blackout, SEI Vortex, SureFire, PWS FSC556) and a gas block that has a bayonet lug.

Enjoy!

69Mach1
11-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Wait a minute. You've had a registered AW stripped AR lower sitting around for the last 8 years and you're just now building it up. You have a lot of catching up to do. : )

Remember that registered assault weapons must be transported locked and unloaded at all times in a container, and transported only between likely places of use, like a gunsmith or range. And no one under 18 years of age can use it without you being present.

waltmoe
11-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes, sitting around for a rainy day. Time to get started. Thanks for the transport tips....... Got some research to do on what upper to get. Any opinions on RRA uppers?
thanks

69Mach1
11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes, sitting around for a rainy day. Time to get started. Thanks for the transport tips....... Got some research to do on what upper to get. Any opinions on RRA uppers?
thanks

RRA uppers are a great option. What are you looking to build first? Carbine, rifle, retro, or precision?

Steve O
11-02-2008, 12:56 PM
What I'm wondering, is if he were to move to NV, bring the rifle in question, then years later move back to CA, can he bring the AW back? Or once an AW leaves the state, it cannot come back?

nobs11
11-02-2008, 1:01 PM
What I'm wondering, is if he were to move to NV, bring the rifle in question, then years later move back to CA, can he bring the AW back? Or once an AW leaves the state, it cannot come back?

I believe that is true. You can't import any new AWs into CA. But the experts will probably have a better answer.

aplinker
11-02-2008, 1:36 PM
thanks

Read through the thread in my signature.

What kind of rifle are you looking to build? Combat-style? All-around? Varmint hunter? Clone of .mil?

Best bang for the buck right now is a BCM mid-length with 16" barrel and a BCM carrier group. It's absolute top-notch quality and reliability at a manageable price point. You can either go with a standard plastic handguard or upgrade to a rail system (DD Lite Rail, VTAC, DD Omega are good options).

Add an iron sight and maybe an Aimpoint and you're ready to go.

Be sure to upgrade all your mags with either Magpul followers and chrome-silicon springs, or just rebuild them all as PMags.

bwiese
11-02-2008, 1:49 PM

Folks with registered AWs are allowed to leave and reenter CA without grief. I fly out of and back into CA with reg'd AWs all the time, without fear.

Residency status change does not affect AW registration status: that's a one-time occurrence. Killing your residency does not kill your AW registration; if you move back to CA you can reenter with your AW.

You can also reenter with any hicap mags that you'd purchased/acquired within California on or before 12/31/1999.

Given that there have been some DOJ AW/50BMG database issues, it's very wise to keep several copies of your AW reg forms in a safe place (safety deposit box, and safe) "just in case" when you reenter state.

nobs11
11-02-2008, 1:54 PM
Residency status change does not affect AW registration status: that's a one-time occurrence. Killing your residency does not kill your AW registration; if you move back to CA you can reenter with your AW.

Good to know.

nobs11
11-02-2008, 1:58 PM
You can also reenter with any hicap mags that you'd purchased/acquired within California on or before 12/31/1999.

How does this work? Lets say I moved to Nevada with my hi-caps and lived there for 5 years. I come back and I'm stopped when I enter CA. LE looks at my hi-caps and busts me for importing. I have no proof that the mags that are with me were acquired while I was living in CA in say 1997. I am no longer a CA resident. The mags are unnumbered.

waltmoe
11-02-2008, 2:40 PM
I'm heading to buy a carbine, any suggestions for uppers. Thinking or RRA with Surefire M73, Troy rear filp. RRA collapsible stock, Any suggestions for this rife build. Open to suggestions.

As for leaving Ca with this AR and then returning, my understanding once in the CA database it stays until sold to a authorized FFL for sale out of state. Cannot be resold in Ca except to LEO with an authorization letter from the Department. I just don't see any issues transporting between both states. I would keep a photo copy of my CA drivers license showing that I was originally licensed in the state for proof of prior residence.

50BMGBOB
11-02-2008, 4:09 PM
How does this work? Lets say I moved to Nevada with my hi-caps and lived there for 5 years. I come back and I'm stopped when I enter CA. LE looks at my hi-caps and busts me for importing. I have no proof that the mags that are with me were acquired while I was living in CA in say 1997. I am no longer a CA resident. The mags are unnumbered.

They have to prove that you are guilty. You don't have to prove that you are not guilty. A LEO may decide to arrest you, take the mags and let a DA sort it out. It would probably cost money to defend yourself but it's not illegal.

ohsmily
11-02-2008, 5:29 PM

How the hell would he know that you didn't own them before 2000? Why would he suspect otherwise? Can he prove it? Can the DA? You don't need to prove that you had them before 1/1/2000.

devildog999
11-02-2008, 6:52 PM
I wish I had a preban, would make thing a bit easier