PDA

View Full Version : Legal ? on a preban hicap mag conversion

Xrover
11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post here so go easy on me :D
Hypothetically, Would this be considered a legal California 10 rnd. magazine in and of by itself?

A preban 20 or 30 round AR15 or HK G3 magazine that has a welded metal rod fixed to the bottom of the follower that when 10 rounds have been loaded into the mag, the metal rod contacts the inside of the floorplate and thus prevents any more rounds from being loaded into the mag.

Is this now a legal 10 round mag?
Does the floorplate need to be sealed or riveted also?

Thanks !!
X

69Mach1
11-02-2008, 10:51 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum. Second of all don't do that to your legally owned preban high cap mags. You can find converted and factory AR 10 round magazines of 20 and 30 round bodies. It's much safer if you have proof that you purchased "10 round magazines". For unique magazines, buy a parts kit and use some type of block and to be extra safe, a rivet. Also fix the base plate on with rivets and epoxy.

Xrover
11-02-2008, 11:02 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum. Second of all don't do that to your legally owned preban high cap mags. You can find converted and factory AR 10 round magazines of 20 and 30 round bodies. It's much safer if you have proof that you purchased "10 round magazines". For unique magazines, buy a parts kit and use some type of block and to be extra safe, a rivet. Also fix the base plate on with rivets and epoxy.

Looking online for 10 rnd AR and G3 10 rnd mags I've seen that the prices are crazy. By law, does one have to show proof to anyone that the magazines were purchased as 10 rnd?

As far as parts kits and installing a block and rivets, wouldn't that be the same thing as my question?

Since used 20 0r 30 rnd. (Military Surplus type) AR or G3 mags are cheap, wouldn't just converting them as you mentioned above be a legal alternative?

Thanks

motorhead
11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
your suggestion would be legal. don't destroy any hicaps you legally own to do so. you may feel more secure riviting the floorplate but it will make spring replcement and cleaning a major operation. be sure you can't force in that 11th rd.

Xrover
11-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Both of you said "Don't destroy the hi cap mags."
Are they legal to own in California if they are Pre Ban?

Let's say one had more then a few of these surplus mags and just wanted to convert a couple of them for use at the range with a legal AR with evil features and a Magazine lock on the rifle.

So on a 20 round mag, you think that a welded in block and riveted floor plate to only accept Maximum 10 rounds would be considered legal?

leelaw
11-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Both of you said "Don't destroy the hi cap mags."
Are they legal to own in California if they are Pre Ban?

If you possessed them lawfully, inside California, before 01/01/2000, you may keep and use them.

If you are using magazines in a bullet button build, they MUST be 10 round magazines.

bohoki
11-02-2008, 11:34 AM
permanance is the issue that comes up

theoretically since you can replace any part in a magazine nothing is ever permanant

but the act of changing a part would be manufacturing/modification

you have to be a pretty good welder to add an aluminum rod on the ar-15 followers but it sounds like a good idea

i prefer the idea of cutting the spring and using a wood block to compress the spring

that way if the wood block is removed the spring will not have the length to have the follower reach the lips thereby not being a large capacity feed device

unless you change the spring
and if you are changing the spring it is not the same magazine anymore

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/magblock.jpg

disclaimer i am not an attourny these are just a laymans opinions

but its more opinion than you will get out of the cadoj and its their job

Xrover
11-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys !!

aplinker
11-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Please do not cut up your pre-ban mags.

They are irreplaceable and priceless. They are completely legal to possess and use in any rifle that can accept a detachable magazine.

If you want 10rd mags, buy replacement parts and convert them.

Xrover
11-02-2008, 2:20 PM
I totally understand why one shouldn't modify the hi cap mags. They were purchased way before any bans and are obviously not replaceable in CA.

The only problem is with the firearms they will be used in. These would be semi autos (Black guns) with all of the evil features. It is my understanding that if the gun has a pistol grip and the other evil (looking) features, one "cannot" use any mag over 10 rnds. Even with a Bullet Button or the like and even if the hi cap mags are pre ban.

I am speaking specifically about use in CA.

Am I correct in thinking that under these circumstances, "No" hi cap mags over 10 rnds. can be used on these guns?

Thanks for all your valuable feedback !!

aplinker
11-02-2008, 2:33 PM
You can use any magazine (including large capacity mags) in any rifle which you can use detachable mags.

For example, they can be used in registered AWs or in rifles that have no banned features (PG, VFG, etc.). Many current OLL rifles can be made featureless to use pre-ban detachable mags.

If the magazine is not detachable, e.g., by use of a bullet button, then it is limited to 10rds or the rifle is an AW.

I totally understand why one shouldn't modify the hi cap mags. They were purchased way before any bans and are obviously not replaceable in CA.

The only problem is with the firearms they will be used in. These would be semi autos (Black guns) with all of the evil features. It is my understanding that if the gun has a pistol grip and the other evil (looking) features, one "cannot" use any mag over 10 rnds. Even with a Bullet Button or the like and even if the hi cap mags are pre ban.

Am I correct in thinking that under these circumstances, "No" hi cap mags over 10 rnds. can be used on these guns?

Young Version
11-02-2008, 2:52 PM

When used in a BB or P50 build, a magazine ceases to be a singular entity and is considered part of the gun (in the eyes of the law). Therefore, a hi-cap magazine in a BB or P50 build renders the gun capable of accepting more than 10 rounds and therefore an assault weapon.

Jpach
11-02-2008, 2:55 PM
1. Do NOT destroy your legally owned preban hi-cap mags
2. You may NOT legally use hi-cap mags with a BB or P50
3. You may use hi-cap mags in featureless builds

So, if you plan on using a BB or some other magazine fixing device, go stock up on 10rd mags. If you plan on not having a pistol grip or anything else evil, then feel free to use your hi-cap mags.

Xrover
11-02-2008, 3:01 PM
Valuable info !!