PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 bolt actions - worth a hoot?

Donut
11-02-2008, 7:31 AM
Between Big 5's constant sale on either the Remington 770, Mossberg 100 ATR, and Savage 110, and the article in G&A about budget bolt actions, I've been thinking about getting one.

Are the Big 5 "combos" even worth considering? I'm assuming the optics provided are pretty cheap, and would need to be replaced. What is the standard out of the box accuracy of a non-precision hunting rifle, 1.5-2 MOA? Are any of them better than the others?

For budget, $400 out the door is pushing it, but I could probably swing it. And as for the use... nothing serious. There's nothing to hunt around here that I know of, so probably just trying to learn how to shoot at things really far away in a fairly accurate manner. Hahaha.

Or would I be better off saving up my pennies and maybe buying something better down the road?

nobs11
11-02-2008, 8:33 AM
Or would I be better off saving up my pennies and maybe buying something better down the road?

Yes. The combo packages are the lowest end in each manufacturers lineup and they put at cheap Simmons scope on it.

weezil_boi
11-02-2008, 8:43 AM
A buddy of mine was recently face with this very dilemma.

He went with the savage. I believe the newer 110s still come with the accutrigger, nice feature.

The scope is a cheap simmons, but it does work. He has managed with it so far. I would swap it out asap of course.

Rob454
11-02-2008, 9:54 AM
I bought a Savage 110 from Big 5. out of the box it was surprisingly accurate. i owned a savage 110 before and I really liked it. The difference between the old one and the new one was basically the old one had wood stock the new one plastic stock. Savage makes decent rifles IMO for the money. if I had a choice between those rifles you asked abotu the Savahe woudl be top of my list. but yeah the first thing I woudl get rid of is the stock scope. its pretty worthless. Put a decent scope on it and it will work fine. Ive shot deer at 300-350 yards with my old Savage

dchang0
11-02-2008, 11:22 AM
For a couple hundred more, you can have a complete M4gery from Freakshow Mfg, so no, they aren't worth it IMO. The jump is too great for a mere $250 difference. Big 5 would have to be selling these combos for $300 or less for it to be a good deal knowing that there are pocketbook-friendly "black rifle" options out there.

Donut
11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
For a couple hundred more, you can have a complete M4gery from Freakshow Mfg, so no, they aren't worth it IMO. The jump is too great for a mere $250 difference. Big 5 would have to be selling these combos for $300 or less for it to be a good deal knowing that there are pocketbook-friendly "black rifle" options out there.

Uhhh... I'm talking about a bolt action rifle.

What about a Stevens 200. Are those decent for the price?

X-NewYawker
11-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Savage
Hoot!

joe_sun
11-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Apples to Oranges there buddy

Not everyone wants an EBR

I've read really good things about Savage rifles and the Accutrigger system. In fact in a recent copy of American Rifleman there were two articles, one about the new Winchester 70 and another about a Savage 110.

They didn't come out and say the Savage, a $500.00 rifle was better than the Winchester 70, a $1000.00 rifle BUT

If you read both articles carefully this is what you get..

Winchester 70
Average 5 shot group size at 100 yards 2+ inches with the smallest being 7/8inch using ammo supplied by the factory.

Savage 110
using 3 shot groups average group was .516 of an inch at 100 yards using off the shelf ammo.

Kokopelli
11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
What about a Stevens 200. Are those decent for the price?

I've read that the Stevens rifles are real tack drivers. They are the same action and bbl as the Savage, without the adjustable trigger (which you can upgrade) and nicer stock. The new version will accept the replacement Savage barrels.

The Stevens is easier to find than the Savage in the shorter action calibers like 223, 243, 308, 7mm-08 etc.

Gary

jcaoloveshine
11-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Go with the Savage. The 110s are incredibly accurate, and if I recall correctly, only the Mossberg 100ATR and the Savage 110 are free-floated. The accutrigger is great too, and even though you are getting it at Big 5 the 110 is the same as you would buy anywhere else, they just throw on a cheap scope to appeal to the "once-a-year" hunter demographic. I had a Winchester 70 Black Shadow which had the Simmons scope and I guess it was the exception to the rule because the Simmons scope held zero without issue.

For about $200 more you could get the Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" which uses the same heavy barrel and action as the Remington 700P. Of course, that's more money, but it would be a more dedicated target shooting platform.

That said, the 110 is still a great choice. I have not heard one negative thing from Savage owners about their rifle (except maybe petty things like the action is not quite as smooth as Remington, but that may be opinion) and the general consensus is that Savage rifles flat out SHOOT. 1 MOA or better with an out-of-the-box savage is typical.

The 100ATR is good also but it doesn't seem to enjoy the universal reputation that the Savage has. As for the Remington 770, that may just be a budget version of the 700 instead of a dedicated rifle line like the 110 (not saying it's bad, just that not as many people have experience with it as the 110).

Donut
11-02-2008, 1:16 PM
Go with the Savage. The 110s are incredibly accurate, and if I recall correctly, only the Mossberg 100ATR and the Savage 110 are free-floated. The accutrigger is great too, and even though you are getting it at Big 5 the 110 is the same as you would buy anywhere else, they just throw on a cheap scope to appeal to the "once-a-year" hunter demographic. I had a Winchester 70 Black Shadow which had the Simmons scope and I guess it was the exception to the rule because the Simmons scope held zero without issue.

For about $200 more you could get the Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" which uses the same heavy barrel and action as the Remington 700P. Of course, that's more money, but it would be a more dedicated target shooting platform.

That said, the 110 is still a great choice. I have not heard one negative thing from Savage owners about their rifle (except maybe petty things like the action is not quite as smooth as Remington, but that may be opinion) and the general consensus is that Savage rifles flat out SHOOT. 1 MOA or better with an out-of-the-box savage is typical.

The 100ATR is good also but it doesn't seem to enjoy the universal reputation that the Savage has. As for the Remington 770, that may just be a budget version of the 700 instead of a dedicated rifle line like the 110 (not saying it's bad, just that not as many people have experience with it as the 110).

I've looked at the SPS Tactical for about a year (but the other guns ate up all the money), but isn't there an issue with the hogue stock being not-so-rigid and if you use a bipod, the stock flexes and presses against the barrel?

elSquid
11-02-2008, 3:10 PM
I've looked at the SPS Tactical for about a year (but the other guns ate up all the money), but isn't there an issue with the hogue stock being not-so-rigid and if you use a bipod, the stock flexes and presses against the barrel?

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

If you are just range shooting, you could also skip having a bipod and instead rely on a properly placed rest. Shoot it that way for a while, save some pennies, and buy a replacement stock:

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=47&page=0

-- Michael

jcaoloveshine
11-02-2008, 3:25 PM

Right, I forgot about that. Come to think of it if you were to get a new stock with the Tactical you'd probably be in the 800 range, and for that price you might as well get a 700P or LTR.

Even with the flexing I'd think that the SPS Tactical would still hold 1MOA or better, just maybe not the .5 or .75 it is well capable of.

M1Atdk
11-02-2008, 4:43 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Savage. Their whole thing at Savage is accuracy first and foremost. Most .30-06 or .270 Savages have pencil thin #2 profile barrels and will print under an inch with most descent factory ammo. Headspacing out of the factory is 0.

Most of the tactical Savages with their flimsy stocks will shoot circles around the Remington Police/tactical style rifles.

Timberland
11-02-2008, 5:08 PM
If you want a good all around rifle, why not a lever action. A 30-30 can be had at big 5 or used for less than 400 and it will be more practical than your cheap bolt + have more resail value. Another + is you can put a cheap scope and mount if that your intent.

AJD
11-02-2008, 5:29 PM
Just keep in mind those package rifle deals from big 5 don't have the greatest scopes. They're not horrible, but they're nothing to get excited about. As a couple of people have mentioned you can get a Stevens from Savage that is basically the same thing except for the accutrigger and I believe it has a plastic trigger guard. I think they can be had for around $300 brand new. Then you would have the option of adding a better scope. The scope you put on a rifle deserves a lot of consideration, IMO. Just some thoughts...

Iknownot
11-02-2008, 5:30 PM
I know it's not what you are asking but the best "hoot" bolt actions at big 5 are the mosins they always have on sale. $89, relatively cheap milsurp ammo and a nice big boom every time you pull the trigger.

If you're going to spend more than that you may as well save up and get a nicer rifle somewhere else.

Rob454
11-02-2008, 6:14 PM
there are pocketbook-friendly "black rifle" options out there.

Not everyone is looking for a "black rifle". He is looking for a bolt gun

dchang0
11-02-2008, 9:39 PM
Not everyone is looking for a "black rifle". He is looking for a bolt gun

Well, he *did* ask if he should save for "something better," and he didn't specify that that something better would have to be a bolt gun...

Of more importance is the fact that bolt guns are more readily available than "black rifles," which might be hard to come by soon, whether explicitly banned or not. Hell, he could pick up a black rifle now, sell it after it's doubled in value, and then buy a really nice bolt gun!

My apologies to Donut if my suggestion was unwelcome...

M1Atdk
11-03-2008, 8:48 PM
When the SHTF i bet more "ZOMBIES" are killed with a bolt action 06 sporting a 3-9 than a bastardized boober button M4gery POS.

tombinghamthegreat
11-03-2008, 9:01 PM
I know it's not what you are asking but the best "hoot" bolt actions at big 5 are the mosins they always have on sale. $89, relatively cheap milsurp ammo and a nice big boom every time you pull the trigger.

If you're going to spend more than that you may as well save up and get a nicer rifle somewhere else.

I agree, big 5 is ok for mosins for those who do not have a c&r. If you want a decent bolt action rifle look somewhere else.

thebloodsonthewall
11-03-2008, 9:06 PM
My buddy just bought a the Mossberg ATR from Big 5 a couple weeks ago. It is a decent rifle. We sited it in the weekend before last. I was going to go the same route but I decided to go with a Tikka T3 in .308. I shot it last weekend for the first time and it is a nice rifle. It cost me $500 new but I think they normally run about $550. I could only afford a cheap scope but it works well out to 100 yards. I am working on coming-up with the money for a nicer scope and then I am going to give the scope to my buddy for his 10/22 I think.

I bought the Tikka because I knew if I got a cheaper one I would end up not being happy with it and either spend a ton of money replacing the stock and other things or I would end up getting a nicer rifle.