PDA

View Full Version : Man guns down trick or treater with AK47 and cites fear of being robbed

fr0ng
11-02-2008, 12:23 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_on_re_us/trick_or_treat_killing

Sumter, (S.C.) Police Dept. shows T.J. Darrisaw. T.J. Darrisaw a 12-year-old …

SUMTER, S.C. – An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.

Quentin Patrick, 22, is accused of killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw on Friday night. T.J.'s 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and their father, Freddie Grinnell, were injured but were released after being treated at a hospital.

The family attended a Halloween celebration in downtown Sumter, 45 miles east of Columbia, then stopped at Patrick's house because the porch light was on, police said. Another sibling was with them, but wasn't hurt.

Police said at least two of the boys were wearing ghoulish masks when they knocked on the door. The boys' mother and a toddler stayed in the car nearby.

Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock, Police Chief Patty Patterson said.

He told police he had been robbed and shot in the past year.

"He wasn't going to be robbed again, and he wasn't going to be shot again," Patterson said Saturday at a news conference.

She said T.J., a bright young man, suffered multiple wounds, including a fatal shot to his head. No one answered the door at the family's home Saturday.

"This is by far one of the worst tragedies that I have had to personally experience," Patterson said. "It happened basically because kids were out doing what they would normally do on Halloween."

Patrick has been charged with murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill.

Police said they also charged a 19-year-old in his home, Ericka Patrice Pee, with obstruction of justice when she was caught trying to run away after the shooting with $7,500 in cash. Patterson did not give an explanation for the money.

Pee's 2-year-old daughter was inside during the shooting and is now being cared for by family members.

Patterson said Patrick had multiple drug convictions but police do not believe he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the shooting. Authorities did not know if Patrick or Pee had attorneys. Both are being held without bond.

A man who identified himself as Patrick's brother but declined to give his name said in a call to The Associated Press that he believed Patrick was suffering from post-traumatic stress after a break-in last December. The man's account matched the information police provided.

"We want to let his family know that this is a total tragic accident," he said. "He was trying to protect his family."

Patrick's home is off a busy, two-lane road in Sumter, a city of about 40,000 people. On Saturday, shattered glass still covered the front stoop and about 20 bullet holes peppered the front door and a front-window casement. A firefighter used a hose to wash bloodstains away.

The shooting shocked residents of a neighborhood where most people know each other well.

"I just hate it that that little kid got killed. It used to be the quietest place. I knew everybody and everybody knew me," said Vivian Johnson, 81, who lives two doors from Patrick and Pee but said she did not know them.

County Councilman Charles Edens said he lives just a few blocks away and passed the crime scene on his way back from trick-or-treating with his 13-year-old daughter, who was upset by the news.

"It's going to put a dampening on Halloween," Eden said. "I would think twice about going to a door that we don't know who lives behind."

___

Associated Press Writer Katrina A. Goggins in Columbia contributed to this report.

in california it would have only been 10 rounds, making it 3 times as safe. [/sarcasm]

anthonyca
11-02-2008, 12:29 AM
But he was an ex convict. How did he possibly get that AK?:rolleyes:

journeyman
11-02-2008, 12:30 AM
what a f*****g idiot with an AK no less not good at all

battleship
11-02-2008, 12:46 AM
WTF this is terrible, whats an ex-con doing with this type of weapon, even if he had been robbed before and shot, this doesnt explain to me his reaction, the way this has been explained tells me he was just waiting for anyone to knock on the door in the evening, so he could then just blast away swathing in every direction. Not knowing what was on the over side.. if you have that kind of fire power at hand you should feel safe enough to either just not answer the door period or know that you are more than protected when you do decide to either open the door or just stand behind it and shout out who is there. You would not even have to be close to the door to do this and get your message heard clearly to ever was calling on you. he basically went on the offence before establishing his defence with out any calculation to what would be the outcome. Just Crazy this really puts a black cloud over what we are all trying to hold onto. Crazy just Crazy.

grim1U
11-02-2008, 12:56 AM

in california it would have only been 10 rounds, making it 3 times as safe. [/sarcasm]

A little kid was killed, sorry, but jokes escape me on this one.

dark45
11-02-2008, 2:26 AM
A little kid was killed, sorry, but jokes escape me on this one.

i agree the only thing that is to be said is look at what the laws actualy provide in keeping us ''safe'' from ''assault weapons''. this kid died with all these laws and what are the dems going to do? ask for more to make everyone feel safe again untill the next shooting. the wost part is we dont have a defence other then '' guns will never go away and will never be imposible to get''. sad day for every one. and it had to be a hi cap AK HUH? friggin A

sb_pete
11-02-2008, 3:08 AM
Well, we'll have to wait for more info, but a full 30 rd mag dump through the door, walls and window sounds like full auto to me. I am guessing we're talking about an unregistered, illegal, full-auto AK.

SO we have a convicted felon (who is not allowed to be in possession of any firearm), blasting away at his door in blind fear with (probably) an already illegal weapon which was (without doubt) illegally obtained. He did this at the sound of a knock on the door, and his accomplice proceeds to make a quick exit with $7500 in cash? My guess is that they just got done robbing their drug dealer and thought he was coming for payback.

Tragic situation, but not one that any new laws would change. The perp's possession of a gun was already illegal. The gun itself was, in all likelihood, already illegal. And the situation probably arose from an innocent family tragically and unwittingly stepping into the middle of an illicit situation.

AND IT STARTS ALREADY: (http://www.huliq.com/3257/71949/quentin-patrick-arrested-halloween-tragedy)
Quentin Patrick Arrested in Halloween Tragedy

Quentin Patrick, 22, from Sumter, SC. Keep that name in mind. When you think of Halloween, and perhaps gun rights in the coming months, think of him. Patrick has been arrested on charges of murdering a 12-year-old trick-or-treater.

Quentin Patrick is a convicted felon, with several past drug convictions. Now he is facing a murder charge, along with two counts of assault and battery with intent to kill.

The girlfriend of Quentin Patrick, Ericka Patrice Pee, 19, faces charges of obstruction of justice after she tried to leave the home following the shooting with a 2-year-old child and $7,500 in cash.

According to the police, Quentin Patrick (perhaps in a drug-induced state, though it is unclear) feared a robbery, and as 12-year-old Tony "T.J." Darrisaw and his 9-year-old brother Ahmadre and father Freddie Grinnell walked up to the porch, shot 30 times through the door with an AK-47 assault rifle.

T.J. died later at a hospital, while his father and brother suffered non-life-threatening wounds. Horrifyingly, his mother had been waiting in a car for the trick-or-treaters.

Besides the question of how a convicted felon like Quentin Patrick would be able to get a gun period, there's also the question of how he managed to get his hands on an assault rifle.

Sumter, SC is a city of about 40,000 people 45 miles east of Columbia. In the aftermath, neighbors of Quentin Patrick expressed their shock.

Experimentalist
11-02-2008, 7:37 AM
Let's do the math here:

Ex-Convict

In possession of a firearm

Sending a family member running away with thousands of dollars in cash

Exhibiting exceptionally paranoid behaviour.

I don't need multiple choice options for this problem: this guy was a drug dealer. Given the extreme paranoia exhibited, probably a methamphetamine dealer, and he's sampling the wares.

In an ideal world the dirt bag would spend the next 10 years of his life doing the most difficult, strenuous, and painful work imaginable. Then, once his body is worn out, he is bathed in honey and strapped to an ant hill.

:mad:

tankerman
11-02-2008, 8:14 AM
What kind of moron is surprised when people knock on his door on Halloween?

The police don't think he was on drugs at time? I bet that idiot was on meth.

fairfaxjim
11-02-2008, 8:19 AM
Let's do the math here:

Ex-Convict

In possession of a firearm

Sending a family member running away with thousands of dollars in cash

Exhibiting exceptionally paranoid behaviour.

I don't need multiple choice options for this problem: this guy was a drug dealer. Given the extreme paranoia exhibited, probably a methamphetamine dealer, and he's sampling the wares.

In an ideal world the dirt bag would spend the next 10 years of his life doing the most difficult, strenuous, and painful work imaginable. Then, once his body is worn out, he is bathed in honey and strapped to an ant hill.

:mad:

BINGO!

tyrist
11-02-2008, 8:44 AM
He is without a doubt a drug dealer. Hopefully he will never breath free air again. There is no legitamate self defense explanation that could ever be had with this situation.

HowardW56
11-02-2008, 9:24 AM

Hang the sick son of a *****!

dawson8r
11-02-2008, 9:32 AM
In an ideal world he would have his right to a trial by his peers, found guilty by his peers, and would be executed in a timely fashion. Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world, he will claim some mental excuse, will find some sympathetic judge or jury, and we will pay for boarding and meals for this piece of garbage for the next X number of years.

RomanDad
11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Anybody else think he had planned this all week???

motorhead
11-02-2008, 10:31 AM
complete this statement. when guns are outlawed...

battleship
11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
hmm, only outlaws will have them.

56Chevy
11-02-2008, 11:22 AM
complete this statement. when guns are outlawed...
By reading many other recent posts on the forum, my guess is that a good number of our members will be happy.:rolleyes:

dark45
11-02-2008, 10:11 PM
By reading many other recent posts on the forum, my guess is that a good number of our members will be happy.:rolleyes:

i have to agree, especially the DOJ and ATF guys here.

really though what is up with these people being ok with having no guns? if your just in it for a over priced hobble maybe i get it but come on people.

Hanniballs
11-03-2008, 6:39 AM
why bother putting this guy through the court system? Just take him out back and put a bullet in the back of his head.

56Chevy
11-03-2008, 6:58 AM
i have to agree, especially the DOJ and ATF guys here.

really though what is up with these people being ok with having no guns? if your just in it for a over priced hobble maybe i get it but come on people.
Hearing all of the talk about the election tells me that most people care more about what they'll get money-wise than their freedoms and their morals. I also get the feeling that some of those guys think of their guns in the same way they think of video games.

Sam1
11-03-2008, 7:11 AM
I could understand running away with 100k cash being considered a drug dealer, but 7k? lol this guy deserves life, because if they just kill him he wouldn't suffer or get butt raped by bubba.

nobody_special
11-03-2008, 8:05 AM
why bother putting this guy through the court system? Just take him out back and put a bullet in the back of his head.
Sure, it'd start that way -- short-circuit the system to deal with clear-cut cases... but soon enough, the government would be doing it to everyone, and without due process and habeas rights for everyone, we'd end up in a totalitarian police state.

Wait a minute... :TFH:

11-03-2008, 8:14 AM
This is the victim, looked like a really nice kid, RIP

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/E/e529f4f3-62d9-4109-bb11-71bc8ac0680d-small.jpg

Anyone found a picture of the suspect yet? Looks like a total media blackout despite his prior convictions I couldn't find any pictures of this scumbag on the Internet

dfletcher
11-03-2008, 8:56 AM
I didn't notice felon in possession of a firearm as one of the charges - why not?

nrakid88
11-03-2008, 4:50 PM
He may have gotten the felonies expunged, and an I understand it could be possible to then legally own a gun. I feel horrible for the family, but I also fear what the anti's will do with this story

diginit
11-03-2008, 5:03 PM
This really is Terrible.... It sounds to me like he was expecting someone else. An enemy of some sort.....Either way, An X-felon should not have a gun. Expunged or not.

Ding126
11-03-2008, 5:38 PM
I feel so sorry for the family of the little boy....RIP

As for the shooter..One word. Tweeker...how does a 22 yr old convicted felon have an Ak and 7500 in cash....Tweeker...extremely paranoid....tweeker.

Let just say these are the types that take our gun rights away.

nicki
11-04-2008, 1:20 PM
Girlfriend leaving house with 7.5K, that is interesting?

What this guy did was horrible, but before you guys hang this guy, please understand that if this guy is a drug dealer, than violence is a byproduct of the drug trade.

Drug Dealers protect themselves from other criminals with guns and they don't either think or care who they hit when they "defend themselves".

They shoot first and they spray figuring some rounds will connect. Wheter it was a semi or full auto doesn't really matter, he was shooting blindly.

Most of us can probably squeeze 3 shots per second with a semi, and in a panic, many of us would lose track of our rounds.

It is quite possible that he didn't even think about what day of the year it was.

The sad thing is we have numerous lives wasted.

Nicki

mfmayes49
11-04-2008, 3:38 PM
I see Feinstein and McCarthy jumping on this one like they did with the L.A shootout. And with a possible Obama in office, It looks like another ban is coming.