PDA

View Full Version : Robinson XCR 5.56 (eventually 308) vs DSA sa58para FAL

wildcard313
11-02-2008, 12:24 AM
SHTF gun, which and why?

X-NewYawker
11-02-2008, 8:07 AM
Have Both. MMG on featureless XCR means quick mag changes -- quick 30 round mag changes -- and DS means top loading while Obama supporters are burning my neighborhood.

sigsauer887
11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
If **** hits the fan, I don't think anyone would be following the guidelines pursuant to the penal code. As far as the rifles go, go with the Robarm XCR.

C.G.
11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Fal is a proven rifle and plenty of parts available for them.

thedrickel
11-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Fal is a proven rifle and plenty of parts available for them.

And you don't have to top load it, X-NY.

:rolleyes:

TonyM
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
FAL.

Not a DSA built CA rifle, but a FAL with a Bullet Button.

RedDawn
11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm gonna have to side with the FAL guys.
Parts are available, and it's battle proven.

Max-the-Silent
11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
FAL over the Robinson.

Parts availability.

Proven design.

Major caliber now.

I purchased an early M96 because of the soon-to-be released BREN and Belt-fed conversions - got the BREN, still waiting on the belt.

Don't get me wrong, Robinson makes a decent product but their follow through and manufacturing capability leaves something to be desired.

Go with a proven design with available spares.

aplinker
11-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Why no AK or AR on the list?

civilsnake
11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Why no AK or AR on the list?

I think he's wants .308, and not necessarily a precision gun.

wildcard313
11-02-2008, 1:46 PM
Im not a real big fan of ARs (dont like DI or 556 really) or AKs (though it may be the best choice for what Im thinking of). Want something that will stand up to abuse, maybe without cleaning it daily, maybe even weekly.

Not really looking for a precision rifle with this decision, though I do like the idea of getting a 308 precision bolt rifle down the line sometime.

The FAL I would get isnt going to be a CA version, it will have BB installed. May have some 20 round rebuild kits around if things get way over the edge, but would want to be legal in all situations short of Zombies/Alien invasion :)

Ive been reading all I can about 6.8, 6.5...ammo availability isnt going to be great though. 308 is kind of common.

Im personally leaning towards the FAL, though its going to be somewhat a hassle to get it. If the rifle Im looking at sells before I can make a choice Im going with the XCR if I can get one in 6.8, maybe Addax if I cant.

ElvenSoul
11-02-2008, 1:54 PM
why not a saiga...you could buy 2 with ammo for the cost of either of those other guns

Addax
11-02-2008, 2:01 PM
My personal pick would be the FAL.

More parts availability, proven design and track record.

Wildcard, on another note, 6.8 and 6.5 ammo are available through multiple sources. 6.5G seems to have a larger following due to the availability of cheap ammo via Wolf and from its performance characteristics.

We are releasing our 6.8spc GPU in 2-3 weeks and a 6.5 model in approx. 4 weeks days (just waiting on some parts for testing 6.5G).

wildcard313
11-02-2008, 2:21 PM
My personal pick would be the FAL.

More parts availability, proven design and track record.

Wildcard, on another note, 6.8 and 6.5 ammo are available through multiple sources. 6.5G seems to have a larger following due to the availability of cheap ammo via Wolf and from its performance characteristics.

We are releasing our 6.8spc GPU in 2-3 weeks and a 6.5 model in approx. 4 weeks days (just waiting on some parts for testing 6.5G).

Not to start another argument, but 6.5 seems to be pushed by target shooters/benchloaders, which is awesome for what they want it to be. 6.8 may be slightly better than 6.5 for combat situations, it seems to be a little better vs soft cover. Ballistic gel tests seem to favour 6.8.

Ammo availability for both is ok as long as UPS is still delivering. Neither will be found at my neighbors house after the Zombies eat his brains, 308 may be. 556 may also be, which is why my interest in the modular design of the XCR, though Ive since read that its easy to change AR platforms between 556 and 6.8...of course, I like GP better than DI and Im not sure its easy to change between 556 and 6.8 with a GP?

aplinker
11-02-2008, 2:23 PM
lol

These kinds of arguments are silly

You're imagining way too much.

Pick the best rifle for the job, with a strong track record.

Long before I picked something based on scrounging ammo at TEOTWAWKI would be how much ammo I can carry, how easy it is to repair, how simple of a system it is to maintain, how accurate the rifle is.

It doesn't matter if it's accurate if it doesn't shoot and it doesn't matter if it fires if you can't hit what you're shooting.

Both 7.62x39 and 5.56 are very effective rounds - especially if you choose heavier loads (77gr cannelured).

Deal with realities and real possibilities. If it's really the end times, scrounging rifles will be easy.