PDA

View Full Version : Black powder--UP DATED post 12

Pofoo
01-17-2017, 10:04 AM
I want to load a couple of old rifle calibers--577/450 and 45/70 to original specs. But, I'm having a hard time finding a store that stocks bp near Orange County. I know that I can mail order it, but the haz mat charges suck for just a pound or 2.
I see that there are a few different bp substitutes.
Is there anything that is close to bp as far as sound/big boom and lots of smoke?

jericho89
01-17-2017, 1:49 PM
I only know of one place that sells true black powder but it is in Lancaster. There are subs, such as pyrodex, and they work. I personally prefer true black powder, but that is me.

mark501w
01-17-2017, 1:52 PM
Pyrodex P

CptDan
01-17-2017, 7:31 PM
For what it's worth you won't be able to get 70 gr of BP in a 45/70 case. The cases are much different today than yesteryear. My suggestion is try to Swiss 1 1/2 Black Powder. Lot of my friends are using it in BP silhouette.

scamp62
01-17-2017, 7:48 PM
I know it might be a little bit of a drive but Martin B. Retting in Culver city has pb, from what I have heard the 2 pb stores in O.C. have closed.
The substitute powder is just is not the same to me ...

Southpaw45
01-17-2017, 8:58 PM
I wish you lived closer because I can fix you up with real BP. You can leave a bulletin at your local gun range info board to see if someone can sell you a pound. 1FG is what you would want. Hodgdon 777 would work well but you need to reduce the load by 15% from real BP. You don't have to compress it like you would do with BP buy a vegetable filler card might need to be used. You would get plenty of smoke with 777 but you get a bang and not a Boom Like BP. With 777 you can use smokeless lubed bullets also and is easy water clean up.

Mroldfashioned
01-17-2017, 11:30 PM
you'll want this reload manual

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lyman-Black-Powder-Handbook-2nd-ed/productinfo/1247100/

i've found that cream of wheat works great as a buffer.

as far as real black powder

they sell it at Angeles Range and bain and davis gun shop in san gabriel

mikeyr
01-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Angeles only sells it if you are there shooting, granted you can buy a pound and shoot one round and drive away but its a pain.

For your use the substitute powders would work and many places sell it, flintlocks don't work well with the sub powders but other guns work fine with the sub powders. For me ? only the real stuff but I shoot quite a few flintlocks along with other toys.

Pofoo
01-18-2017, 3:52 PM
Thanks all.
F size BP in stock seems to be really rare, but Oscars (formally Bain & Davis) ordered it. Should take about a week.

racinjason233
01-18-2017, 4:00 PM
call brian

https://www.google.com/search?q=oc+reloading&rlz=1C1PRFC_enUS694US694&oq=oc+reload&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l3.1895j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

there was a store in north OC that had some a couple years ago. I would have to dig out a receipt to get contact info. Also try the stockade.

Tom-ADC
01-22-2017, 2:51 PM
I use Swiss F 1.5g in my Sharps 45-70 it's clean for BP.

Pofoo
01-26-2017, 1:20 PM
I phone ordered the bp I wanted from Bain&Davis, now Oscars gun shop, last week. No deposit required and they said it would take about 1 week. Picked it up today. I was not sure how it would work out because of their casual attitude. "no problem, I'll order it for you". They do stock some, so call before going there.
:)x10

Darto
01-26-2017, 8:02 PM
keep in mind it is a felony in California to possess more than 1 pound of unloaded black powder. But 7000 grains in a pound, so that's a hundred 70 grain loads. California sucks. I use Aliant Black MZ. And always have some real black (under a pound).

http://www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articles/10-firearms-contraband-and-consequences.html

" Over 20 Pounds Of Smokeless Gunpowder Or More Than One Pound Of Black Powder.
Even if intended for use in sporting firearms, California provides felony penalties for possessing more than the stated amounts of gunpowder without special permits. "

mikeyr
01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
keep in mind it is a felony in California to possess more than 1 pound of unloaded black powder. But 7000 grains in a pound, so that's a hundred 70 grain loads. California sucks. I use Aliant Black MZ. And always have some real black (under a pound).

http://www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articles/10-firearms-contraband-and-consequences.html

" Over 20 Pounds Of Smokeless Gunpowder Or More Than One Pound Of Black Powder.
Even if intended for use in sporting firearms, California provides felony penalties for possessing more than the stated amounts of gunpowder without special permits. "

Are you sure ? I thought it was 5lbs. of BP and 20lbs. of smokeless powder !

If it really is one pound of BP I need to go shooting this weekend and use up a half pound or so, oh darn.

I read your link and it does say 1lb. but this link http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=HSC&sectionNum=12001.&highlight=true&keyword=black%20powder has confusing language in section F says 5lbs. for "all others" but not sure what "all others" means since the first part of section F is about dealers and their max of black powder.

Darto
01-27-2017, 10:36 AM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Ammunition_and_Black_Powder

Calgunsfoundation seems to say 1 pound here...

Can't transport or have in possession more than 5, can't store at home more than 1.

mikeyr
01-27-2017, 2:50 PM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Ammunition_and_Black_Powder

Ok, at the END of that page linked above, there is a link back to here at Calguns and in post #6, it says 14.4.3 Black Powder intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 9.1 kg (20 lb) shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in the original containers and stored in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least a 25.4 mm (1 in.) nominal thickness.

So does that mean, I can't have more than 1lb. of BP at home UNLESS it is in a 1" thick wooden box and then I can have 20lbs. if I keep them in their original containers ? I am confused and even the calgunsfoundation link that brings the information back to this site is saying more than 1lb. with a proper box.

This is worry some to me, I generally have several pounds of BP at home in different grades since I shoot Flintlocks which require FFFF and FFF and then handguns that use FF, currently I am good since I am low on powder, I have a little over a 1 lb. at home and I will go shooting in the morning and get below 1lb. BUT I had planned on buying powder this weekend and in the past I usually order 10lbs. in different grades like 5 of FF and 4 of FFF and 1 of FFFF, then work down to where I am today and place another order. If it really is 1lb. max, then how do I even shoot rifles and handguns, much less add the FFFF for the Flintlock.

AandO
01-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Ok, at the END of that page linked above, there is a link back to here at Calguns and in post #6, it says

So does that mean, I can't have more than 1lb. of BP at home UNLESS it is in a 1" thick wooden box and then I can have 20lbs. if I keep them in their original containers ? I am confused and even the calgunsfoundation link that brings the information back to this site is saying more than 1lb. with a proper box.

This is worry some to me, I generally have several pounds of BP at home in different grades since I shoot Flintlocks which require FFFF and FFF and then handguns that use FF, currently I am good since I am low on powder, I have a little over a 1 lb. at home and I will go shooting in the morning and get below 1lb. BUT I had planned on buying powder this weekend and in the past I usually order 10lbs. in different grades like 5 of FF and 4 of FFF and 1 of FFFF, then work down to where I am today and place another order. If it really is 1lb. max, then how do I even shoot rifles and handguns, much less add the FFFF for the Flintlock.

If actually true I'd say it is kind of hard to misread it.
Verify it and then have at it.