PDA

View Full Version : Checking in from MCGACC 29 Palms

The Soup Nazi
11-01-2008, 9:03 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=53680003&albumID=2578927&imageID=40468417

My barracks is in the bottom right hand corner (often referred to as the Hilton, where all the Air Wing students and permenant personnel are housed).

Been 2 weeks since I've hit 29 Palms. Currently I'm stuck in MAT doing nothing but PTing in the afternoon and being a general drain on the Marine Corps because my class doesn't pick up until January 5th, so I'll be going on RA in a month or 2, might be able to catch some of you at Metcalf.

Learned that my job is 7242 Air Support Operations Operator. It's essentially a "tactical air traffic controller" without the traffic control tower. The job involves communicaitng with officers in the air and infantry units on the ground in order to coordinate air strikes and med evacs. The course is 55 days, consisting of 2 weeks of air support fundamentals and communications protocol, and 4 weeks of evaluated simulations involving 4-5 Marine groups coordinating air support over the course of a "war".

Since I didn't get time to post much about MCT:
Hiking sucks, but it makes you stronger, the AT-4 sounds like a doomsday weapon, the 240B and SAW are awesome, and the Call of Duty 4 style infrared laser system exists.

On MOS School: Apparentely it's easy to get in trouble when you have some degree of freedom. The current class has 11/16 of its students NJPd for drinking in the barracks. My roommate is getting admin seperated for cocaine use, and his friend is serving a court martial for shop lifting from the PX.

However, I'm optimistic of my current situation and my future in the Corps. I'm looking to pick up Lance Corporal on my RA, I've got 4.8/4.8 ProCon marks (was squad leader/guide, DIs liked me), 250 PFT, Expert rifle qual, and MCT instructors said I was one of the best Asians they had in their company. Outlook seems decent to pick up NCO quickly. I'm hoping on getting stationed in Okinawa Japan. I'll try to check back more often.

M. Sage
11-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Good to hear from you! Get ahold of me when you get back up here, we still need to have a Sig shootoff.

So, you would be something like a forward air controller?

lcpl. huynh
11-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Eugh, been to Camp Wilson yet? That place is worse than Iraq...seriously, Iraq is so much better than Camp Wilson. I'll take an extention in Iraq over going back to Camp Wilson any day. Look out for them Satanic cults off base though, 29 Palms is known to be a safe ground for them. Good luck marine.

6172crew
11-02-2008, 3:36 PM
I loved the SAR duty at the stumps. I got most of my stick time in the stumps, it was pretty cool having the whole desert to ourselves. We used to pick up the parachutes from illums and rig rabbits to them and drop them off at 3k.:D

Yea you want to watch yourself while a student, they admin sep more students than fleet guys annually if I remember right. Does the PX still give you 10% off on firearms on Sundays?:confused:

jerryg1776
11-02-2008, 6:14 PM
OoooooRah the STUMPS. Love and hate that place. Stay away from the westpac widows and desert divorces or you will get screwed, literally.

Atleast its not August so the weather will be ok.

Darklyte27
11-02-2008, 9:48 PM
OoooooRah the STUMPS. Love and hate that place. Stay away from the westpac widows and desert divorces or you will get screwed, literally.

Atleast its not August so the weather will be ok.

What he said!

:rolleyes:

as for the one who got admin sep, some things people do to get out its sad. There were those kinds of problems too back in 02 in MCRDSD.

schmud0811
11-05-2008, 12:31 PM
PX IN THE STUMPS QUIT SELLING GUNS IN 2002. The base general i think was anti gun. though when guns quit being sold they went for 40% off. I picked up a sig p226 stainless for 600 brand new and a mossberg 590a1 for 300 brand new.

Stay out of trouble out their go shooting or something . I spent almost 7 years out their in the stumps. Lots of places to go shooting off of the 62 past the park land!

stphnman20
11-13-2008, 8:02 AM
AHHH the STUMPS!

Yes!

Good times!

JimAmentler
11-13-2008, 9:09 AM
Main side is not bad after living at Camp Wilson for a while. One of my Docs is a coyote over there right now.

Enjoy your time. Learn everything that you can. And, as everyone else has said, stay out of trouble!

S/F!

Doc Amentler

stphnman20
11-13-2008, 9:15 AM
Main side is not bad after living at Camp Wilson for a while. One of my Docs is a coyote over there right now.

Enjoy your time. Learn everything that you can. And, as everyone else has said, stay out of trouble!

S/F!

Doc Amentler
Man I hate them coyotes!!!

Camp Wilson is great when you come back from the field for a couple of days.. Worriors club!