PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of AMF as a lower receiver???

Trendkill
11-01-2008, 7:59 PM
AMF...Did I even spell that right?? Has anyone heard of this company??......I was told they mill their own lowers and they are Mil-std. Has anyone heard of AMF?? Are they any good??

TurboFall
11-01-2008, 8:03 PM
If they mill their lowers from a billet, isn't that by definition not mil-spec?

freakshow10mm
11-01-2008, 8:09 PM
There is no rifle for the civilian market that is true mil spec. Think of mil spec and tactical in the same sense. Both overused and not a true meaning.

Mil spec has to do with metallurgy, processes, finishes built to a specific price point.

Trendkill
11-01-2008, 8:59 PM
I was told " Mil-Std" not "Mil-Spec".....and they were saying that the Std is better.

CrazyJeep
11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
http://simplybowling.com/library/AMF.jpg

Sorry, I just had to. :D

[Edit] Come to think of it, that logo would be a really cool roll mark on the side of a lower.

freakshow10mm
11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd be even more leery of "mil std". WTF is that?

aplinker
11-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I'd be even more leery of "mil std". WTF is that?

It means it fits other AR stuff... it's meaningless.

Only Colt and FN (now Sabre?) have the TDP to actually be mil-spec.

There's something to be said for following the QC tests and specifications, though. Most blatantly ignore them and use sub-par metals and processes.

Trendkill
11-02-2008, 12:40 AM

[Edit] Come to think of it, that logo would be a really cool roll mark on the side of a lower.

Thats funny as hell.......Im not sure what the three letter acronym was exactly.....A.something.F..

Trendkill
11-02-2008, 12:52 AM
CORRECTION: My dyslexia kicked in a bit ago......they are call AFM....they are made by AFM fo AFM....

Here is the Link....What do you guys think???

http://afmfirearms.com/c-35-lower-receivers-and-assemblies.aspx

aplinker
11-02-2008, 1:03 AM
It's another OLL. :shrug:

They're all the same.

And no, it's not billet. It's a regular forged lower.

Trendkill
11-02-2008, 1:13 AM
Thats all I needed to know......I was having a hard time getting my Spikes Lower delivered to my FFL......so they said they could build me one of these for the same price. The roll-mark isnt dorky....so thats good too.

elsolo
11-02-2008, 1:33 AM
AMF makes all sorts of equipment other than bowling, I have dealt with some of their bakery equipment and it was pretty decent.
If they got into AR's I would give them a shot, but I don't think they are or will be.

gcvt
11-02-2008, 1:59 AM

LOL....reminded me of the dark days of Harley-Davidson.

bohoki
11-02-2008, 9:09 AM

i would love that stamped on a mag well

///D
11-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I assume you're referring to AFM that The Gun Exchange in San Jose is currently raving about:

http://www.afmfirearms.com/c-37-rifles-and-carbines.aspx

I do not shop at SJGE, but just so happened to be in the area and stopped in. While there I over heard employees heavily marketing these lowers and complete rifles stating that the US Military is currently in the process of adopting AFM as a primary source and that SJGE will be the "only" source retailing these products in the US. When asked, what makes AFM superior over others, mil-std and forged were mentioned, and lastly "everything just flows better" seemed to by typical answers . Price per lower if you must know is $185.

I'll let you guys make the assesment on this one.

tankerman
11-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Gee, only $185, since they cost twice as much they must be twice as good.:rolleyes:

If this wasn't about OLL's I would have assumed you went to Turners.
While there I over heard employees heavily marketing these lowers and complete rifles stating that the US Military is currently in the process of adopting AFM as a primary source and that SJGE will be the "only" source retailing these products in the US. When asked, what makes AFM superior over others, mil-std and forged were mentioned, and lastly "everything just flows better" seemed to by typical answers . Price per lower if you must know is $185.

jamesob
11-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Gee, only $185, since they cost twice as much they must be twice as good.:rolleyes:

If this wasn't about OLL's I would have assumed you went to Turners.

no kidding, for that much i would buy something else.

aplinker
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Sounds like they were laying it on thick.

I assume you're referring to AFM that The Gun Exchange in San Jose is currently raving about:

I do not shop at SJGE, but just so happened to be in the area and stopped in. While there I over heard employees heavily marketing these lowers and complete rifles stating that the US Military is currently in the process of adopting AFM as a primary source and that SJGE will be the "only" source retailing these products in the US. When asked, what makes AFM superior over others, mil-std and forged were mentioned, and lastly "everything just flows better" seemed to by typical answers . Price per lower if you must know is $185.

bgoodman
12-02-2008, 8:21 AM
These lowers are actually much nicer than others that I have seen. I went down to SJGE without the intention to purchase another lower receiver, but was pleasantly surprised at the great quality of these lower receivers. I would argue that they are easily as nice as Noveske, maybe even better. Not necessarily "just another OLL." I'm happy. Bad thing is that they were all sold out until spring 2009, last I heard.

offrdmania
12-02-2008, 8:30 AM
These lowers are actually much nicer than others that I have seen. I went down to SJGE without the intention to purchase another lower receiver, but was pleasantly surprised at the great quality of these lower receivers. I would argue that they are easily as nice as Noveske, maybe even better. Not necessarily "just another OLL." I'm happy. Bad thing is that they were all sold out until spring 2009, last I heard.

Hmmmm, 1 post, this comment seems fishy. Think hes a SJGE employee?

Casual Observer
12-02-2008, 8:50 AM

Using a Noveske as a benchmark isn't anything special as far as fit and finish are concerned. It's the name that makes the Noveske lowers more desirable.

trinydex
12-02-2008, 1:06 PM
eh why not cross link this

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=134961

BB63Squid
12-02-2008, 1:23 PM

Ohhh you must be old to remember those day!!!! Unfortunately so do I.:rofl2:

EDIT: Trinydex beat me to it...dohhhh!

Trendkill...

Here is a thread on the same OLL that was posted the other day in this same forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=134961

technique
12-02-2008, 1:44 PM

***-esment made.

///D
12-02-2008, 3:23 PM
***-esment made.

:confused:

Nothing in my post was positive nor negative, just stating your sales pitch word for word...nothing more nothing less.

Yet another reason I go elsewhere.

technique
12-02-2008, 4:34 PM
:confused:

Nothing in my post was positive nor negative, just stating your sales pitch word for word...nothing more nothing less.

Yet another reason I go elsewhere.

I know. Not directed toward you my friend. I know those guys down there well enough to know they know nothing.

///D
12-02-2008, 4:37 PM
I know. Not directed toward you my friend. I know those guys down there well enough to know they know nothing.

Sorry, my mistake then

bgoodman
12-09-2008, 3:04 PM
Hmmmm, 1 post, this comment seems fishy. Think hes a SJGE employee?

Haha, no, not a SJGE employee. The reason for my comment was based on the current prices of Noveske and AFM. Gunbroker has Noveske for around 500. AFM is 185 at SJGE. Seems like a deal to me. But yeah, if I knew more I'd have more comments. Just my .02

m24armorer
12-09-2008, 5:32 PM
So you saying I know nothing.............

The AFM lowers are having some QC issues. It seems they are trying to crank them out so fast that they at times are not making changes on worn or undersized tooling.

I set Mike up with a set of gauges to check them, what does not pass should be returned.

Problems seem to be pivot and takedown pin holes and also the buffer detent hole.

Otherwise I think they are nice. Not all of them have issues, just a few enough to pi** you off when you are putting them together.

m24armorer
12-09-2008, 5:34 PM
BTW AMF= American Machine and Foundry

Heaviside
12-09-2008, 6:39 PM
I would have to agree with technique. SJGE is pushing the AFM lower to anyone who shopped there something along the line " Buy it before it get banned". And the waiting list is pretty long on the buyer. If it's me I will rather pay for an item that I can pick up right away.I would take technique's advice over any guy at SJGE. I get burned twice at SJGE with items I paid for and they kept telling me to wait for the paper work that never arrived. The excuse is either the mail is late or the ATF is slow. I would not do business at SJGE for any kind of deal.

technique
12-09-2008, 7:39 PM
So you saying I know nothing.............

The AFM lowers are having some QC issues. It seems they are trying to crank them out so fast that they at times are not making changes on worn or undersized tooling.

I set Mike up with a set of gauges to check them, what does not pass should be returned.

Problems seem to be pivot and takedown pin holes and also the buffer detent hole.

Otherwise I think they are nice. Not all of them have issues, just a few enough to pi** you off when you are putting them together.

Out of spec?????:eek:

ETA....You know what I meant!!!!

ar15barrels
12-09-2008, 8:48 PM
Adios
Muther
F'er

It's what you say when you flush a good turd.

m24armorer
12-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Randall's back in the bran muffins again.....

Then again this thread seems to be going in the toilet..

ar15barrels
12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Randall's back in the bran muffins again.....

I haven't had a good sh, nevermind.

technique
12-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Starbucks......gets me every time.:eek:;)

45R
12-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Then again this thread seems to be going in the toilet..

Seems like 2 pages of posts that were biased against the guys that work at The Gun Exchange :rolleyes:

I have a AFM lower that I'll be putting together soon. Initial impression is that the lowers look nice and are machined well.

I'll let you guys know more when I get a LPK and put this thing together.

45R
12-09-2008, 10:53 PM

Epsom salts for a good power spray :eek:

m24armorer
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Seems like 2 pages of posts that were biased against the guys that work at The Gun Exchange :rolleyes:

I have a AFM lower that I'll be putting together soon. Initial impression is that the lowers look nice and are machined well.

I'll let you guys know more when I get a LPK and put this thing together.

Don't force anything, if it don't fit let me know.

ar15barrels
12-09-2008, 11:17 PM

I'm glad that response was not pointed at my response. :eek:

m24armorer
12-09-2008, 11:22 PM
ROFL:smilielol5:

45R
12-10-2008, 8:39 AM

:43: I'm going to try and find a parts kit. I'll update you guys on how the lower build goes when I get everything together.

Mississippi
12-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Picked up my AFM lower today at GESJ. I checked all the lower parts for fit and mine was good to go. Nicely packed and well oiled. Very clean and the finish is among the best I own.

Very pleased. The guys at GESJ have sold over 350 of these lowers and just order about 6,000 dollars worth more.

As a matter of fact I will be picking up a few more.

(O and by the way I don't work there.)

45R
12-22-2008, 5:31 PM
:43: I'm going to try and find a parts kit. I'll update you guys on how the lower build goes when I get everything together.

Hey guys here is a quick update.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=134961&page=2

CMMG parts kit. Check
Mil Spec Receiver Extension Check
Noveske N4 Upper Check
Bullet Button Check

Everything fit properly. I had no problems installing any of the parts or did I have any issues with the upper. It'll probably sit in the safe until I can find a .22LR upper.

CRQuarto
12-22-2008, 7:59 PM
I ordered my upper from them, so we shall see how the quality is. It's being paired with a Mega lower.