PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22

Conker
11-01-2008, 4:38 PM
I'm looking for a 10/22. Honestly, I am not looking to modify it much (as funds limit that), so I'm looking to get one that is good out of the box. I saw that Big 5 has one for $219, though I'm sure it's just the base model with standard sights. I saw one with fiber optic sights for about $280+ out the door. Would that be better? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

CSACANNONEER
11-01-2008, 4:47 PM
Get the one that YOU think is best for your needs.

nobs11
11-01-2008, 4:50 PM
My suggestion would be to get the cheapest one you can find. Shoot it. Then over months or years as funds become available, upgrade it.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-01-2008, 6:49 PM
get a bare bones basic model... but the 3 upgrades that I think are necessary right out of the box are the extended mag release, bolt release and extractor all from Volquartsen... all 3 can be had for under $60 I believe.....

5hundo
11-01-2008, 6:53 PM
I'm looking for a 10/22. Honestly, I am not looking to modify it much (as funds limit that), so I'm looking to get one that is good out of the box. I saw that Big 5 has one for $219, though I'm sure it's just the base model with standard sights. I saw one with fiber optic sights for about $280+ out the door. Would that be better? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Big 5 has that on sale until tonight...

For the extra $30, I'd say to get the stainless steel one. It's also on sale for $249...

easy
11-01-2008, 7:40 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse has the camo 10/22 on sale for $199.99.

railroader
11-01-2008, 7:43 PM
If you are going to leave it basicly stock get a Volquartsen hammer. That alone will make the rifle much easier to shoot because the trgger pull will be way better. Here's the link to mod you bolt release to make it auto. http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30867 Mark

gravedigger
11-01-2008, 7:44 PM
I just purchased a Ruger 10/22. I pick it up on election day :D

It is used, and an older model but after a bit of research, I figured I'd get a good used one with the METAL trigger mechanism rather than one of the new ones with the PLASTIC mechanism. I'm not sure if the plastic is better or worse, but several people advised me to find an older 10/22 with the aluminum mechanism. Upgrades will occur as gun shows drift through town. As it is, the rifle will do just fine for varmints and zombies. I have more serious things for more serious situations. ;)

Conker
11-01-2008, 7:52 PM
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I don't mind minor upgrades under $100 or so. Just not anything expensive at the moment. I saw a nice Volquartsen trigger group, but it was $160+. I don't know...we'll see. I may sell some junk I don't use to fund this project. Thanks again.

By the way, what are the best sights for the 10/22? I never shot one before (I did shoot a bolt-action .22...can't remember the name...Marlin maybe, but I found the sights a bit hard to see). How are the standard iron sights on the 10/22?