PDA

View Full Version : which 5.45 rifle you got?

Trakker
11-01-2008, 4:28 PM
ar upper?

ak?

nobs11
11-01-2008, 4:31 PM
None. Surplus ammo is crappy. Once it gets scarce you are out of luck.

If ammo prices are driving you nuts, reload or shoot a 22. Just my 2c.

VegasND
11-01-2008, 6:38 PM
Surplus ammo is currently cheaper than reloading and is normal WARSAW Pact quality, just like the surplus 7.62X39 used to be. When the surplus dries up Wolf and (color) Bear will still have ammo for sale at about the same price as the 7.62 just like they do now.

I've got a WASR 2 and a Tantal; hand picked them both and they both work fine but the Tantal looks much better and the quality is obviously superior.

nobs11
11-01-2008, 6:44 PM
I've got a WASR 2 and a Tantal; hand picked them both and they both work fine but the Tantal looks much better and the quality is obviously superior.

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the Tantal? Not a loaded question. Just wondering.

VegasND
11-01-2008, 7:05 PM
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the Tantal? Not a loaded question. Just wondering.

I'm not getting any of the keyholing that others have reported, but I bought mine in August so it's newer than the reports of problems. The guys at J&G specifically said to avoid 70 grain bullets so I guess there is a problem with heavier bullets. I don't have any though--all the ammo I've currently got is the 52 grain Bulgarian.

Nobody has ever bothered to seriously shoot targets with it and offhand with the crappy folding stock and lousy AK sights you can cover the group with one ( or sometimes both) hands - probably about 3" at 50 yards. My shooting buddies and I are all in our 40s and 50s so our eyes don't love those sights. When one of us gets a chance to have one of our kids shoot it seriously we'll see what it can do at 100 yards. Or maybe I'll get a scope and mount.

We can all bounce a shotgun shell out to about 80 yards or so, but not with every shot past about 25 or 30.

Vepr62
11-01-2008, 7:14 PM
I've got Bolgarian ak-74 sidefilder kit and NDS receiver ready to build. Been postponing the build for a while because of lack of time. And 5.45 ammo (any available ammo) works good in ak style riffles.

Vasiliy

kalieracer
11-01-2008, 8:08 PM
I've got Bolgarian ak-74 sidefilder kit and NDS receiver ready to build. Been postponing the build for a while because of lack of time. And 5.45 ammo (any available ammo) works good in ak style riffles.

Vasiliy

I second that!

69Mach1
11-01-2008, 8:11 PM
I've got a Romanian C.U.R. II in 5.45x39 with a filled in thumhole stock so I can detach my prebans. I also just bought a NODAK AK74 sidefolder receiver and I'm looking for a deal on a Bulgarian side folder parts kit. I had a deal for one for $400 shipped from out of State, but the seller freaked out at the last minute about shipping the parts kit into CA and sold it out from under me.

hiyabrad
11-01-2008, 10:19 PM
What ranges let you shoot the steel core ammo? I was going to buy a Tantal (coolest looking AK there is) but you can't shoot that ammo anywhere?

Josh3239
11-02-2008, 2:26 PM
Bulgarian AK74

haodoken
11-02-2008, 2:30 PM
What ranges let you shoot the steel core ammo? I was going to buy a Tantal (coolest looking AK there is) but you can't shoot that ammo anywhere?

Burro Canyon in Azusa lets you shoot magnetic in the winter when there has been some rain and the vegetiation has grown in. I don't think this weekend's rain counted. :( I too have magnetic ammo ...8mm, 7.62x39 can't shoot it for at least another month.

thisismyboomstick
11-02-2008, 6:13 PM
I've got a Romanian C.U.R. II in 5.45x39 with a filled in thumhole stock so I can detach my prebans. I also just bought a NODAK AK74 sidefolder receiver and I'm looking for a deal on a Bulgarian side folder parts kit. I had a deal for one for $400 shipped from out of State, but the seller freaked out at the last minute about shipping the parts kit into CA and sold it out from under me.

There is a presale from cope's on bulgarian ak74 kits for 380 shipped. You have to be an akforum member to get in on the presale though.