PDA

View Full Version : My 922r Chinese SKS is Complete

BroncoBob
11-01-2008, 3:10 PM
Well I finally finished my 922r compliance conversion for my Chinese SKS.
USA manufactured parts are:
Tapco Fusion T6 adjustable stock, foreward hand guard with top rail and pistol grip in dark earth.
Tapco stainless steel gas piston and operating rod.
Murrays hammer/sear/trigger set.
I also had Ben perform one of his tune ups on the trigger set which really makes it a nice smooth pull.

I keep a complete set of documents of the USA made parts in the pistol grip just in case I need to show proof while out in the field.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-024F-2.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-023F-2.jpg

BlackReef
11-01-2008, 3:24 PM
Looks great! Nothing beats a nice clean wood stock on an SKS though, but that is a close second

BroncoBob
11-01-2008, 3:29 PM
Looks great! Nothing beats a nice clean wood stock on an SKS though, but that is a close second

I got the wood stock sitting nice in snug in a box protecting it from all that could go bad with it. This is my way of protecting the nice wood stock that it came with and improve the rifles flaws. Should I get the erge to put the wood stock on all it will take is a mere few minutes.

sastark
11-06-2008, 1:29 PM
Did you have trouble getting the 10-round fixed magazine back into place? I must be doing something wrong, because mine just doesn't seem right. And this instructional video is no help, as it doesn't cover reinstalling the magazine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ41BDO2NyU

sb_pete
11-06-2008, 3:01 PM

True but the LOP (on the Chicoms at least) is just impossibly short. Being 6'2", I have a 1.5" spacer on mine and its still way to short (about another 1.5"). Also, that left side mounted sling holder digs right into your cheek weld and feels great on recoil!

I love the clean look of the wood on my SKS, but it doesn't do any favors shooting it. Bob's setup looks clean and user-friendly. You have adjustable LOP without getting all that mall ninja with the thing. I like it, nice setup.

Does that picatinny rail interfere with the techsights?

-Pete

BroncoBob
11-06-2008, 7:29 PM
True but the LOP (on the Chicoms at least) is just impossibly short. Being 6'2", I have a 1.5" spacer on mine and its still way to short (about another 1.5"). Also, that left side mounted sling holder digs right into your cheek weld and feels great on recoil!

I love the clean look of the wood on my SKS, but it doesn't do any favors shooting it. Bob's setup looks clean and user-friendly. You have adjustable LOP without getting all that mall ninja with the thing. I like it, nice setup.

Does that picatinny rail interfere with the techsights?

-Pete

Hey sb_pete, the adjustable stock is great and handles extremely well, the pistol grip makes for a nice firm hold. I don't have any issues with the Picatinny rail interferring with the techsights. Heck I don't even notice that it's there.

BroncoBob
11-06-2008, 7:33 PM
Did you have trouble getting the 10-round fixed magazine back into place? I must be doing something wrong, because mine just doesn't seem right. And this instructional video is no help, as it doesn't cover reinstalling the magazine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ41BDO2NyU

Oh the magazine can be a pain getting it back on. When I took my rifle out of the wood stock I didn't remove the mag. I did one time before and I learned my lesson. It is not easy getting it back on.

bohoki
11-06-2008, 8:34 PM
Oh the magazine can be a pain getting it back on. When I took my rifle out of the wood stock I didn't remove the mag. I did one time before and I learned my lesson. It is not easy getting it back on.

there is no way to get the magazine back on with the pistol grip attached

the mag has to be placed back in the receiver before the trigger group is reattached

BroncoBob
11-06-2008, 9:34 PM
there is no way to get the magazine back on with the pistol grip attached

the mag has to be placed back in the receiver before the trigger group is reattached

Really I don't remember removing the mag. I'm pretty sure that I left the mag on. The pistol grip screws on. When I removed my trigger group to send it to Murrays I only removed the pistol grip to get the trigger group out. When it came back I slipped it in and gave the back pen a hit with a punch and the trigger group was in. I then reattached the pistol grip.

sastark
11-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Really I don't remember removing the mag. I'm pretty sure that I left the mag on. The pistol grip screws on. When I removed my trigger group to send it to Murrays I only removed the pistol grip to get the trigger group out. When it came back I slipped it in and gave the back pen a hit with a punch and the trigger group was in. I then reattached the pistol grip.

Maybe I'm trying to reassemble in the wrong order then:

I've re-installed the trigger group, screwed on the pistol grip and am now attempting to re-install the magazine. Is this the correct order? I assumed it was based on the instructions included with the new stock, but I'm sure I could be wrong. Should it be magazine, trigger group, pistol grip or trigger group, pistol grip, magazine?

Also, does the bolt being open or closed make a difference for reattaching the magazine?

BroncoBob
11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Seth;
I found it to be magazine, trigger group then pistol grip. If you put the pistol grip on before the trigger group, you can't put the trigger group in due to the rear lock pin that requires a little tap from a punch and hammer. the pistol grip covers this lock pin. Hope this helps.

Bob

sastark
11-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Seth;
I found it to be magazine, trigger group then pistol grip. If you put the pistol grip on before the trigger group, you can't put the trigger group in due to the rear lock pin that requires a little tap from a punch and hammer. the pistol grip covers this lock pin. Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I will give that a shot this evening and see if I can put it all back together!

Baron
11-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah you have to put in the magazine first, then the trigger group

Nice looking SKS. I have the choat Dragunov stock on mine, and now I'm considering getting the trigger group done. that way I can put the factory magazine back in. It just loads with stripper clips alot easier then the fixed TAPCO one.

BroncoBob
11-07-2008, 1:37 PM
Yeah you have to put in the magazine first, then the trigger group

Nice looking SKS. I have the choat Dragunov stock on mine, and now I'm considering getting the trigger group done. that way I can put the factory magazine back in. It just loads with stripper clips alot easier then the fixed TAPCO one.

Hey thanks a lot. Does your Dragunov stock have a pistol grip? If you do get your trigger group done, I really recommend to use Ben Murray. He does a great job. My trigger is nice and smooth with a clean break at just around 6 lbs estimated. I really need to invest in a meter to get accurate trigger readings.

bohoki
11-07-2008, 2:37 PM
Maybe I'm trying to reassemble in the wrong order then:

Also, does the bolt being open or closed make a difference for reattaching the magazine?

oh yea the bolt does have to be back as the lips go around the bolt

of course if you follow the youtube video and install the magazine befor the trigger group you wont have a problem as the bolt is out of the gun at that time

i assume the tapco guy is going to use a detachable

Baron
11-07-2008, 4:20 PM
Hey thanks a lot. Does your Dragunov stock have a pistol grip? If you do get your trigger group done, I really recommend to use Ben Murray. He does a great job.QUOTE]

Yeah that's who I keep hearing about. So that's more then likely who I'll try and use.
Here's a pic of my SKS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/GORZACK/Shooting/SKS09-18-07008.jpg?t=1226103508

[QUOTE=bohoki;1674352]

You can't use detachable Mags on an SKS. that would make it an evil puppy killing AW. Tapco sells a 10/20 fixed mag for us people behind enemy lines

BroncoBob
11-07-2008, 9:24 PM
[QUOTE=BroncoBob;1674170]Hey thanks a lot. Does your Dragunov stock have a pistol grip? If you do get your trigger group done, I really recommend to use Ben Murray. He does a great job.QUOTE]

Yeah that's who I keep hearing about. So that's more then likely who I'll try and use.
Here's a pic of my SKS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/GORZACK/Shooting/SKS09-18-07008.jpg?t=1226103508

You can't use detachable Mags on an SKS. that would make it an evil puppy killing AW. Tapco sells a 10/20 fixed mag for us people behind enemy lines

Baron;that rifle of yours is great looking. I sure like your stock. That really sets it off. Heck mine is just a throw in the dirt have at it 922r compliant model.

sastark
11-08-2008, 11:06 PM
oh yea the bolt does have to be back as the lips go around the bolt

of course if you follow the youtube video and install the magazine befor the trigger group you wont have a problem as the bolt is out of the gun at that time

Thanks, bohoki and others! I was able to get it all reassembled and I really like the way it looks. I can't wait to take it out shooting with the new pistol grip.