PDA

View Full Version : Range Results w/ Saiga 7.62 (sorry, no pics)

Pilot
11-01-2008, 2:01 PM
I know I've asked a lot of questions about it and I finally got it last Saturday and had the chance today to go shoot it and I remember a few people asking me to post how it went.

By no means was I expecting an accurate competition rifle, but it was less than I hoped for. At 50yds it looked okay. At 100yds I had a hard time keeping it in the black. Adjustments to the sights only gave me minor improvements. I gave up shooting it farther. I'm still a new shooter of only a few months, but I was able to group fairly well at 100yds with a SKS, which has a few similarities (noise, recoil, round, open sights).

My question is, is this just a "new gun" thing? Like a new baseball mit, it sucks at first because it is so stiff and uncomfortable but after some use it works great. Do I need to break the gun in and further adjust the sights to make it perfect for my shooting?

EDIT: When I say adjust my sights I don't mean after every shot. >.>

aplinker
11-01-2008, 2:20 PM
If you're trying to shoot for groups, why are you moving the sights at all?

You shouldn't be paying attention to where they hit until you've shot the group. Then look to see they're all near one another.

Adjusting the sights is what you do once you figure out where your group is shooting.

If you can't keep it within a 5" circle, then it's most likely you and not the rifle.

Crusader
11-01-2008, 2:42 PM
As UCLA said, shoot your string, then worry about where they hit. That's the way to check grouping.

That said, the Saiga is definitely no match rifle. And it's commonly said that the AK's effective range is in the 200-300 meter zone. So if you shoot a 4" or 5" group at 100 yards, you still have a relatively effective rifle in terms of what its capabilities are.

tombinghamthegreat
11-01-2008, 3:36 PM
Most gun fights are within 100 yards, so work a little harder. Also it may also depend on the ammo you are using. Wolf is cheap but not the best for longer range. I can get about a 2-3 inch grouping at 50 yards with a saiga but i have never fired at a further range, i may need to go to another range for that...

Trakker
11-01-2008, 4:39 PM
people expect sub moa accuracy from a gun that wasn't built for it.

close in work < 200 yds

get a nice bolt gun if you want to go out to 600+ yds

nobs11
11-01-2008, 4:48 PM

close in work < 200 yds

The OP wasn't expecting that. Re-read what he posted. He had trouble getting it to group in the black at 100yd.

Pilot
11-01-2008, 5:02 PM
If you're trying to shoot for groups, why are you moving the sights at all?

You shouldn't be paying attention to where they hit until you've shot the group. Then look to see they're all near one another.

Adjusting the sights is what you do once you figure out where your group is shooting.

If you can't keep it within a 5" circle, then it's most likely you and not the rifle.
well i adjusted them after i noticed where they all were going..and yes some of it is probably me.

Pilot
11-01-2008, 5:03 PM
Most gun fights are within 100 yards, so work a little harder. Also it may also depend on the ammo you are using. Wolf is cheap but not the best for longer range. I can get about a 2-3 inch grouping at 50 yards with a saiga but i have never fired at a further range, i may need to go to another range for that...
im using golden tiger.

Pilot
11-01-2008, 5:04 PM

close in work < 200 yds

yeah i know that

jlh95811
11-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Golden Tiger is fairly accurate stuff.
It is likely you.
Why?
Different sights. There is always a bit of a learning curve when you get a new gun with different sights. I group about 2.5" at 100 yards with my sks' when I first got my Saiga I was grouping horribly. 5-6" I've shot about 100 rounds so far and have gotten it down to about 4" But when I mounted the gun down it was grouping 2" So clearly I still need some more time with it. I should eventually be around 3" with it. Also these are iron sights which do not lend themselves to precision shooting at 100 yards.

Try bench rest with front supported at 50 yards since this should actually be the zero for this type of rifle in my opinion.

rtlltj
11-01-2008, 11:58 PM
To give you some other idea of someone elses grouping with a 7.62x39 saiga here is my target at 50 yards with golden tiger. This was the first time out after getting it sighted in with the sight tool. I'm sure I could get better groups next time I go out. I have no complaints since its pretty easy to keep it in the black and would definately be a nice rifle for man sized targets.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/rtlltj/IMG_0400.jpg

railroader
11-02-2008, 9:22 AM
For me saiga sights are hard to shoot good groups with. A couple of weeks ago I put a a bushnell 6x40 scope on my saiga 223. I shot a 5 shot group that was under an inch with brown bear ammo at 50 yards. I know that's not 100 yards but without the scope the groups were twice that. Mark

1lostinspace
11-02-2008, 9:44 AM
I know I've asked a lot of questions about it and I finally got it last Saturday and had the chance today to go shoot it and I remember a few people asking me to post how it went.

By no means was I expecting an accurate competition rifle, but it was less than I hoped for. At 50yds it looked okay. At 100yds I had a hard time keeping it in the black. Adjustments to the sights only gave me minor improvements. I gave up shooting it farther. I'm still a new shooter of only a few months, but I was able to group fairly well at 100yds with a SKS, which has a few similarities (noise, recoil, round, open sights).

My question is, is this just a "new gun" thing? Like a new baseball mit, it sucks at first because it is so stiff and uncomfortable but after some use it works great. Do I need to break the gun in and further adjust the sights to make it perfect for my shooting?

EDIT: When I say adjust my sights I don't mean after every shot. >.>

with a Bushnell trophy red dot I am able to shoot a 8" group at 200 meters prone using Golden tiger ammo. At 50 meters it's under an 1"
I have been shooting for a while and know my weapon.
My .223 scoped version with 77SMK 24 gr TAC will group a little over an inch at 100 yards
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/saiga_group2.jpg

Fantasma
11-02-2008, 9:55 AM
with a Bushnell trophy red dot I am able to shoot a 8" group at 200 meters prone using Golden tiger ammo. At 50 meters it's under an 1"
I have been shooting for a while and know my weapon.
My .223 scoped version with 77SMK 24 gr TAC will group a little over an inch at 100 yards
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/saiga_group2.jpg

It all depends on the shooter... The man above me reinforces that :D

Great shooting sir....

BlackDrop50
11-02-2008, 2:01 PM
I seemed to have no problem putting my shots into a 3" circle at 50 yds with wolf 7.62. 6" at 100 yds

My friend was grouping around 5" at 50 yards. He seemed to do better than me at 100 yds though, around 5-6"

1lostinspace
11-02-2008, 8:12 PM
if your looking for a target type semi get an AR and slap a scope on it,with match ammo you should be able to shoot under a minute of angle out to about 500 yards been there is no wind.

The Saiga is basically an AK they can move the trigger group where ever they want it's still an Automatic Kalashnikov, it's made to go bang every time.
I have the $2000 dollars AR but make no mistake my SFTH is a Siaga 7.62x39