PDA

View Full Version : What to do with range pick up

Trriemferent
01-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Im still new to reloading and collecting my brass. Every time I come back from the range, I end up with a hand full of brass calibers that I dont reload. Currently Im just throwing them all in a large bucket but Im starting to wonder if I should be sorting the unused brass as well. Im just not sure I want 5-10 small bins of brass I dont reload. What is everyone doing with the range brass they dont reload before storage?

baih777
01-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Wait till the bucket is 3/4,full. sort it and sell what you don't want. Maybe you will get enough to buy a box of bullets.

rcslotcar
01-14-2017, 12:59 PM
I keep 5 gallon buckets stacked on top of each other,,takes up less floor space.

MrKiltYou
01-14-2017, 1:20 PM
Wait till the bucket is 3/4,full. sort it and sell what you don't want. Maybe you will get enough to buy a box of bullets.

This is what I am working on doing. I will most likely post on here to trade for brass I will reload.

WMG
01-14-2017, 2:14 PM
Brass I bring home that is not for me to reload goes into a 5 gal bucket then to the scrap yard when full.
The first time I did this I had 2 buckets and a box full ...... I did it just cause.... with no idea the money I would get ..... I figured I'd get maybe $20ish or so ........ so some may be able to imagine my surprise...............

someoneeasy
01-14-2017, 3:44 PM
When I first started reloading and ended up with brass I didn't have a gun for, I bought a gun in that caliber, problem solved.

Calguns77
01-14-2017, 4:02 PM
Any round i dont reload goes in a 5gal bucket. Except for calibers i plan to own a firearm in eventually, mainly revolver rounds.

I would just fill a 5gal bucket to save space and once its full decide if you want to sell for scrap or seperate and sell/trade in caliber specific1k round batches. You may also end up with a new handgun in a new caliber and have a ready supply of brass to use.

claylakers
01-14-2017, 4:03 PM

Sounds good to me

baranski
01-14-2017, 4:16 PM
I offer it free here on Calguns from time to time or give it to guys I shoot with if it's calibers I know they reload.

randomBytes
01-14-2017, 4:43 PM
Just collect it - when you have a few thousand - good reason to buy a gun in that caliber ;-)

rimfire11
01-14-2017, 4:45 PM
I don't get a lot, but I just throw it on the ground, with the rest of the brass, at my local indoor range.

tonyjr
01-14-2017, 5:19 PM
Most of time - I take the boxes it came in and put it in them . Every once in a while I / we fine someone who will either trade for it or just take it .
3 of my nephews wanted to buy the 223 AW before the 20th of last month .
I was picking up that brass - then they looked at the 762 and 308s and bought them instead
Even swap for MT 308s for the 223s .

Dragginpanda
01-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Where I go we pick up the brass to at least keep the place clean.

Unused calibers get stored in a bucket. I don't store the bucket, but I believe it gets used as trade bait.

steel30
01-15-2017, 1:40 PM
I pick up all brass and put it all in a 5 gallon bucket. I go through it eventually looking for rifle brass and .45. I have a few coffee cans of brass I don't have calibers for and I just trade it off with buddies for brass I can use.

elmontemike
01-15-2017, 5:58 PM
I offer it free here on Calguns from time to time or give it to guys I shoot with if it's calibers I know they reload.

I have done this also and a few time a nice calguner gave me a box of ammo without me even asking for anything in trade.
This is why I love calguns !!!

ar15barrels
01-15-2017, 6:01 PM
Im still new to reloading and collecting my brass. Every time I come back from the range, I end up with a hand full of brass calibers that I dont reload. Currently Im just throwing them all in a large bucket but Im starting to wonder if I should be sorting the unused brass as well. Im just not sure I want 5-10 small bins of brass I dont reload. What is everyone doing with the range brass they dont reload before storage?

Save it.
Eventually you will end up with enough to get guns in those other cartridges.

rsrocket1
01-20-2017, 2:01 PM
I did that with 9mm. Had a bunch, then ran across a set of dies on special so I bought it. Now that I had real money into the caliber, I had to buy a gun for it.:)

stilly
01-20-2017, 3:57 PM

I wait until I can not screw down the GAMMA lid on my bucket, then I will sort the whole thing out (takes about 2 hours) and then any odd calibers get put into a container to be traded for things I like.

I do not reload .40 right now, but I have a ton of it to trade for .44 or 10mm if someone wanted to. I also have various other calibers that I have come across out in the field. 270, 243, 30-06, 30-30, you name it...