PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Accessories Suggestions?

Sam
10-31-2008, 10:22 PM
In a fit of weakness I impulsively bought a 10/22 earlier tonight. I researched my other firearm purchases pretty extensively and decided I had to make an impulse buy. Not that there's really anything wrong with that, but as this is my first rifle, I have absolutely no idea what to do in terms of optics, accessories, legal issues, etc. I believe that since this is a rimfire it is exempt from the "evil features" ban. Since I intend to just take this to the range to punch some holes in the paper and because I will probably getting another Wilson I won't want to spend too much money to get it highly customized but I will want some solid but not overly expensive optics for it and any other requisite accessories. If someone could also explain explicitly how to mount the optics that would be great as well.

thanks,
Sam

wellfedirishman
10-31-2008, 11:15 PM
The cheapest upgrade to your 10/22 is a decent target hammer (Voltsquartsen sells a very good one for about $40). It will greatly improve the trigger pull, and it fairly easy to install.

The best upgrade for accuracy is a target barrel and stock. I am selling a Fajen stock and target barrel in the accessories section.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=125429

Have fun, the 10/22 is a great rifle.

Josh3239
10-31-2008, 11:45 PM
10/22's can be made to shoot very accurate. A good trigger, stock and barrel are definetly somethings you want to do. If you go with a Volquartsen barrel you can mount the scope on the barrel, otherwise the receiver should be drilled for a scope mount.

nobs11
10-31-2008, 11:53 PM
If you go with a Volquartsen barrel you can mount the stock on the barrel, otherwise the receiver should be drilled for a scope mount.

I thought all 10/22 receivers were drilled and tapped for a mount.

OP, what do you want to do with the rifle? Target shooting? Plinking? Buy lots of ammo and start shooting it. A 10/22 is a great platform that can be converted into a tack driver if you so with.

Josh3239
11-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I think my typo confused you. All 10/22 receivers should be drilled for a scope mount. What I meant was that Volquartsen barrels are drilled for a cantilever type scope mount that mounts on the barrel but sits over the receiver. I'd take the Volquartsen barrel scope mount over a receiver scope mount any day.

caldude
11-01-2008, 6:47 AM
I'd take the Volquartsen barrel scope mount over a receiver scope mount any day.

Why? Both should be steady mounts, so what's the advantage of the cantilever mount?

larryb
11-01-2008, 7:07 AM
From the VQ site "The mount cantilevers back over the receiver and utilizes one tension set screw in the rear of the mount for stability. It ensures that the scope will always be in alignment with the barrel regardless of any movement between the barrel and receiver."

CSACANNONEER
11-01-2008, 7:14 AM
It really depends on what type of build you want to do. Are you looking at a tacticool build, field build, benchgun build or what? I think the biggest and cheapest two things that you need to do is a automatic bolt release and a good quality (non-plastic) extended mag release. BTW, not a bad impulse purchase.

X-NewYawker
11-01-2008, 8:39 AM
Why? Both should be steady mounts, so what's the advantage of the cantilever mount?

The receiver of the 10-22 is relatively thin aluminum, because it is not a high stress part. the Ruger supplied base that uses the screw holes was designed for a light .22 scope. If you get a "real" rifle sized scope, you will need 1) more room between the rings, and B) -- a rock solid base. Leupold makes a great base that screws into the Ruger receiver but puts the front ring out over the barrel. I've found the barrel mount more solid: A match bull barrel is steel. A scope mounted into the barrel and cantilevered back --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Vol-CU.jpg

Allows more secure base and longer rail -- then get a scope with Adjustible Objective that goes below 100 yards (because of the distances 22s are shot at) like the VX-ii 8-18 here.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Vol-Scope-CU.jpg

And then wait for the zombies. Remember: Headshots!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Dead-Tired.jpg

nobs11
11-01-2008, 8:53 AM
A gunsmith can D&T a GM or another barrel for a cantilever mount. That's what I have on my 10/22 with a GM barrel.

Gator Monroe
11-01-2008, 9:03 AM
WTH get an International Carbine next ...:)

motorhead
11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
thousands of rounds of cheap ammo. extra mags.

weezil_boi
11-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Well, if youre just plinking... then Id say the hammer kit is a must. Maybe the bolt release, a recoil/ buffer pin, and a mag release lever. I also like the Hogue stock. Other than these things... you start getting into real $$. That will alreay put you in the $350 range. Extra mags and ammo is where Id put my $$ :)

If you want a match grade rifle... then I have no clue, since I wouldnt spend the $$ myself. But personally, I would lean towards a diffent rifle I think. I just cant stomach the idea of a $1000- 10/22.

rayra
11-01-2008, 12:23 PM
From the VQ site "The mount cantilevers back over the receiver and utilizes one tension set screw in the rear of the mount for stability. It ensures that the scope will always be in alignment with the barrel regardless of any movement between the barrel and receiver."

Yes, but that's marketing noise. You tell me, just what sort of 'movement' is possible between a properly mounted barrel and the receiver on a rimfire 10/22?

To the OP, the options are endless. If you were considering purchase of a different firearm you might have made a mistake, as you can quite easily spend a ridiculous amount of money modifying a 10/22. They are the Chevy 350 of the rimfire world. No end of accessories.

Strictly for useability, I'd recommend extended mag release, extended bolt catch, and an improvement to the bolt handle.
After those, the triggers, hammers, titanium joy rides and barrels that cost more than the whole rifle did new are there waiting for your money.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/rayra/militaria/rayra1022actioncloseup-041201.jpg

nobs11
11-01-2008, 12:24 PM
If you want a match grade rifle... then I have no clue, since I wouldnt spend the $$ myself. But personally, I would lean towards a diffent rifle I think. I just cant stomach the idea of a $1000- 10/22.

My GM barreled 10/22 with a Volquartsen cantilever mount, Hogue stock, Power custom hammer/trigger, extended mag release, Bushnell Elite scope ended up costing me $650. Shoots as well as any Volquartsen with SK pistol match.

Sam
11-01-2008, 8:15 PM
originally, I thought I may want to keep this closer to stock than not but looking around I a few stocks that look good while also looking as "evil" as possible. Anybody have any recommendations on a stock with a pistol grip? Does the bullpup stock meet the length requirements?

nobs11
11-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes, but that's marketing noise. You tell me, just what sort of 'movement' is possible between a properly mounted barrel and the receiver on a rimfire 10/22?

The barrel on a 10/22 is not threaded in (at least with the standard receiver). It is held in place by two screws.