PDA

View Full Version : 11 1/2 VS 14 1/2

Mail Clerk
10-31-2008, 8:47 PM
Hello to all,

I just purchased a new lower for my long awaited possible upper BUT I can't decide which is better for my AR15/5.56 appetite. So what I really want is the 11.5" upper with the long flash surpressor BUT I thought what about the 14.5" version.

Which one can you guys/gals recommend and why???

Mail Clerk

AdamM
10-31-2008, 9:11 PM
You DO know about the 16" thing right?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the long surpressor part

railroader
10-31-2008, 9:30 PM
Call me confused but if the barrel has to be 16" overall why would anyone want a 11.5" barrel with a long flash suppressor? Don't you just lose velocity? Mark

hybridatsun350
10-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Call me confused but if the barrel has to be 16" overall why would anyone want a 11.5" barrel with a long flash suppressor? Don't you just lose velocity? Mark

Yea, you lose a lot of velocity, but it looks cool! I've been personally considering going with a 14.5" with perm. FH, but I haven't decided whether it's worth it. It's just kinda cool to have a rifle that looks exactly like a real M4 as opposed to one that looks 2 inches too long.

Max-the-Silent
11-01-2008, 8:07 AM
Hello to all,

I just purchased a new lower for my long awaited possible upper BUT I can't decide which is better for my AR15/5.56 appetite. So what I really want is the 11.5" upper with the long flash surpressor BUT I thought what about the 14.5" version.

Which one can you guys/gals recommend and why???

Mail Clerk

If you want to make noise and disturb the birds, go with the 11.5" with a permanently attached 5.5" FH - If you want to hit a target farther away than across the street, get the 14.5 with a permanently attached FH.

sb_pete
11-01-2008, 9:11 AM
Unless you're making an SBR or had the ability to (legally) permanently attach a suppressor, I really don't see the point. You're just going to lose a bunch of velocity. I can see doing a 14.5" with permanently attached break or FH to make the rifle as short as legally possible, but I just don't get what people find cool about a silly long FH :shrug:

Mail Clerk
11-01-2008, 9:19 AM
Yea, you lose a lot of velocity, but it looks cool! I've been personally considering going with a 14.5" with perm. FH, but I haven't decided whether it's worth it. It's just kinda cool to have a rifle that looks exactly like a real M4 as opposed to one that looks 2 inches too long.

hybridatsun,

Hello to all that responded. I know what you mean but for many years I've always wanted a shorty for my collection but here in California I need th have that lousey looking 5 1/2" flash surpressor otherwise it's against the law for me. To kinda get what I want I have to go in that direction.

I know I lose allot of velocity and it's considered very loud but many rifles are just a noisey and at the range it doesn't matter. I love Black rifles type "Commandos".

So guys/gals if I go with a 14.5" version that three extra inches makes a difference????

Mail Clerk

Max-the-Silent
11-01-2008, 9:30 AM
hybridatsun,

Hello to all that responded. I know what you mean but for many years I've always wanted a shorty for my collection but here in California I need th have that lousey looking 5 1/2" flash surpressor otherwise it's against the law for me. To kinda get what I want I have to go in that direction.

I know I lose allot of velocity and it's considered very loud but many rifles are just a noisey and at the range it doesn't matter. I love Black rifles type "Commandos".

So guys/gals if I go with a 14.5" version that three extra inches makes a difference????

Mail Clerk

It will make a hell of a difference in both accuracy and functioning.

The long flashider actually is needed to help the piece to function more than suppress flash and noise - the extra length from the FH keeps the gas pressure up in the barrel and tube and helps the thing to cycle.

Shorty 16's have specific uses, and if you need one you'll most likely be issued one. They also come with a whole set of problems, some that have been cured at this point.

If you want one for collection purposes/bragging rights/whatever, go head on, but you're getting a tool in search of a mission, not something that will necessarily be a good tool for whatever job that comes up.

The 14.5" pfh or 16" barrels are much easier on the system with a mid-length gas system, and are much more useful.

tiger222
11-01-2008, 9:40 AM
Get what makes you happy, if the Commando look does it for you, go for it!!
Yes they are louder, and yes they loose velocity. Use the force young Jedi :)