PDA

View Full Version : Pig/Deer Hunting for a Newbie

RikSors
10-31-2008, 7:41 PM
Any suggestions where I can go pig/deer hunting? I just moved and I live in Mountain House, CA San Joaquin County. I do mostly bench shooting and reload my own. Just wanted to venture out in this type of outdoor activity. Thanks.

jbolton
10-31-2008, 8:05 PM
Are you looking for public or Private land to hunt on? Guided or non Guided?

RikSors
10-31-2008, 9:03 PM
Public, Non-guided. My funds are limited. Thanks.

r08ert209cali
10-31-2008, 9:45 PM
for dear a zone d3-d6 tag is hard to beat lots of public acces.season end nov.2nd.pigs good luck.can try camp roberts or fort hunter ligget.

westcoastr
11-03-2008, 6:17 AM
the success rate for unguided, public-land hunts for pigs is under 1%, and about a third of those pigs come from FHL. consider a public land pig hunt a long hike with a heavy rifle and a scouting trip for other game like deer, bear, birds...

but with that said, try BLM land like Cow Mountain, Cache creek, Lake sonoma in the north and Laguna Mt, Clear Creek (if it is still open) and the other areas in central cal. the hollister BLM office will send you a "package" for pig hunting for a few bucks, give 'em a call.

get bob robb's pig hunting book. obviously old, but still good info (check dept fish and game for updated regulations and access)

RikSors
11-03-2008, 8:01 PM
the success rate for unguided, public-land hunts for pigs is under 1%, and about a third of those pigs come from FHL. consider a public land pig hunt a long hike with a heavy rifle and a scouting trip for other game like deer, bear, birds...

but with that said, try BLM land like Cow Mountain, Cache creek, Lake sonoma in the north and Laguna Mt, Clear Creek (if it is still open) and the other areas in central cal. the hollister BLM office will send you a "package" for pig hunting for a few bucks, give 'em a call.

get bob robb's pig hunting book. obviously old, but still good info (check dept fish and game for updated regulations and access)

Thanks westcoastr...I'll check it out.

xcrunner805
11-04-2008, 6:11 PM
If you want to hunt pigs on private land get in touch with local farmers or ranchers and see if you can chop wood or fix fence for them in exchange for allowing you to hunt on their property. Just my 2 cents.