PDA

View Full Version : viking tactics civilian class at metcalf - wtf

yallknowho
10-31-2008, 6:18 PM
I tried to get more info for this class taught by Kyle Lamb. having a pinnned 10 round mag really wont fly because some of the skills you practice are rapid mag changes and drills that use up to like 20 rounds. basically you're required to have no bullet button and 30 round mags at your disposal. this pisses me off. the only people who could really do this are people with pre ban stuff and law enforcement. this makes me mad.

If I went with an open mag and 30 round mags I'd get arrested. all the viking tactics classes out of state aren't open to civilians. I think I'm going to join the military.

yallknowho
10-31-2008, 6:20 PM
even someone in the military can't have a post ban AR with an open magwell with 30 round mags in cali.

Patriot
10-31-2008, 6:22 PM
MMG for detachable mag

Pre-ban...well either you own them or you don't.

yallknowho
10-31-2008, 6:24 PM
even with the MMG you have to have a 10 round mag. it wouldn't be that fun.

Sleepnosis
10-31-2008, 6:36 PM
even someone in the military can't have a post ban AR with an open magwell with 30 round mags in cali.

Wrong (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=46387&highlight=assault+weapon+permit)

For those who dont have this provision, If your looking to take a stance why not there.

theseacow
10-31-2008, 7:49 PM
even with the MMG you have to have a 10 round mag. it wouldn't be that fun.

incorrect. please read the flow chart. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

yallknowho
10-31-2008, 7:53 PM
incorrect. please read the flow chart. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

unless you legally own a mag before the ban.

CavTrooper
10-31-2008, 7:54 PM
I think I'm going to join the military.

I can help. ;)

aplinker
10-31-2008, 8:22 PM
unless you legally own a mag before the ban.

I'd bet if you brought a few PMag rebuild kits with you and asked if you could borrow hi-caps from someone else taking the course, with the rebuilds as payment, they'd let you do it.

yallknowho
10-31-2008, 8:37 PM
that's a decent idea right there.

nick
10-31-2008, 8:48 PM

UNless he's on duty and Uncle Sam pays for his training :)

nick
10-31-2008, 8:50 PM
I can help. ;)

What kind of gun would you buy with that $1000? :)

bohoki
10-31-2008, 9:12 PM
I'd bet if you brought a few PMag rebuild kits with you and asked if you could borrow hi-caps from someone else taking the course, with the rebuilds as payment, they'd let you do it.

yea you might never see them again as they peel out and are nothing but a dust trail

what do you do with the magazines that the person forgot?

JamesY
10-31-2008, 9:23 PM
DESTROY THEM!

edward
10-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker

yea you might never see them again as they peel out and are nothing but a dust trail

what do you do with the magazines that the person forgot?

Okay, I have to ask.
Has this Ever been used as a defense by anyone?
I realize that according to the technicalities of the PC that you could stand to make a defense, but has anyone actually tried to use this defense of 'finding' a hi-cap to defend themselves if charged with illegal possession of one?
If someone actually did find, lets say an AR 30 rd. mag in the desert, somehow gets in a situation where the possession of the mag is brought up, gets arrested because the leo doesn't buy the story and winds up in court, what are the odds that the person wouldn't be convicted?

nobs11
10-31-2008, 10:17 PM
If someone actually did find, lets say an AR 30 rd. mag in the desert, somehow gets in a situation where the possession of the mag is brought up, gets arrested because the leo doesn't buy the story and winds up in court, what are the odds that the person wouldn't be convicted?

The burden of proof is on the state. Did the LE catch him in the act of "finding" the mags?

It depends on the situation. Guy I shoot with moved here from Wisconsin in 2002. Won't work in his case. Had to leave his hi-caps behind.

M. Sage
10-31-2008, 11:21 PM
... not "finding mags" again. C'mon, guys.

As to the OP: Yes, you can use a standard-capacity mag in a featureless rifle so long as you had it before the ban. There are a lot of people in that boat out here. Even with ten round mags, training is training. Rapid mag changes are even more important, then.

randy
11-01-2008, 6:02 AM
Build your rifle correctly and call ahead and ask if you can use some of their mags. If they are an out of state training outfit they can't bring them in either. If not, with the correct rifle build you could just drop your 10 mags and get lots of practice.

The problem I see with most of the rifles on here is the guys went for the mall ninja look at the expense of functionality. I have pre ban guns I can have all the evil features. I choose to run them in the most efficient configuration for shooting. I'm not saying you guys need to do that

I'm saying don't complain about the classes if you didn't follow the legal setup to begin with.