PDA

View Full Version : AR Question

ukdkbr
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
So I built up my first AR awhile back and let it sit until I bought some iron sights for it. I got the sights about a month back and have taken it to the range twice since then.

It functions great, but to me it feels weird to me. And keep in mind before this I have never shot an AR before. To me it feels like the whole thing kind of vibrates or reverberates after a round is shot. My first thought was that this was the buffer tube and spring, is this normal and am I just not used to it?

It just makes if fell strange compared to the only other rifles I've shot (Keltec SU16 & Mini 14), it just doesn't feel solid.

Specs:
Mega Lower Reciever
Stag 3H upper
A2 butt stock with A2 buffer

-Joe

Ballistic043
10-31-2008, 12:05 PM
receiver jiggle, a noise maker buffer, reverberating spring inside the tube, those are all acceptable things and should not be taken as a problem. its part of the rifle. the sounds can be minimized but for the most part are an acceptable part of the design.

unless you have something else to go on, like a loose castle nut or something then you should be fine. since you dont really know if there is a problem there isnt really a way to help fix it til you know more..

AaronHorrocks
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Well remember that the huge buffer tube goes the length of the stock, and its right next to your face. The AR is a unique weapon design.

ukdkbr
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah I figured as much, just seemed a bit "off" to me, but like I said the rifle
functions flawlessly so I'm not too concerned about it just kind of curious.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
That sproing is a good thing...

It will settle down as you shoot more. You can LIGHTLY dry lube the spring.

However, the noise tells you when the mag is empty. The sound changes. :)

What stock do you use? It's possible that's part of the reason it feels loose.

If the upper/lower fit is really loose, it can be tightened up.

ukdkbr
10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
It doesn't feel loose at all, and the upper and lower fit nice and snug, it was just the springy feeling that was weirding me out but it seems it's all normal.

bwiese
10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Sproing!!! Learn it, live it, love it.

dfletcher
10-31-2008, 12:25 PM
For what it's worth, I use this stock and it very much minimizes all the racket. I can even hear myself say "dammit" whenever I get off a lousy shot.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=16910&st=&s=