PDA

View Full Version : Am I Missing Something?

Pilot
10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
My uncle, who is a sheriff where I live, owns an AR-15 WITH a pistol grip WITH a 10rd detachable mag. Does he get special privileges for being a sherrif or was this something that was recently changed so it is allowed because it is pre ban stuff? Or he is mistaken and should have it fixed to be made legal? Keep in mind, I don't know every detail about the gun, but when I shot it he said it was an AR-15 and know that I know a little more about CA gun laws, it made me think of it.

I hope I didn't 'open pandora's box' by asking this...

Saigon1965
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
LEO are entitled to own AW with approval from the Chief -

aplinker
10-31-2008, 11:55 AM
My uncle, who is a sheriff where I live, owns an AR-15 WITH a pistol grip WITH a 10rd detachable mag. Does he get special privileges for being a sherrif or was this something that was recently changed so it is allowed because it is pre ban stuff? Or he is mistaken and should have it fixed to be made legal? Keep in mind, I don't know every detail about the gun, but when I shot it he said it was an AR-15 and know that I know a little more about CA gun laws, it made me think of it.

I hope I didn't 'open pandora's box' by asking this...

Either the gun is department issue, a legal registered AW (for duty), or an illegal AW.

LE can have departmental letterhead that allows them personal exemptions (for duty) so they can buy and register AWs with the DOJ.

I'm not sure why he has a 10rd mag, though, if it's registered and/or department issued. I'd be rolling 30s.

If you want your own, read through my signature thread (start at the beginning). As a civvy you can get one, but not with a PG and detachable mag. You can use detachable mags, though.

Pilot
10-31-2008, 11:56 AM
LEO are entitled to own AW with approval from the Chief - could you type out those abbreviations just to be clear? basiclly ur saying his boss found him responsible enough to own that gun in it's current state?

Pilot
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Either the gun is department issue, a legal registered AW (for duty), or an illegal AW.

LE can have departmental letterhead that allows them personal exemptions (for duty) so they can buy and register AWs with the DOJ.

I'm not sure why he has a 10rd mag, though, if it's registered and/or department issued. I'd be rolling 30s.

If you want your own, read through my signature thread (start at the beginning). As a civvy you can get one, but not with a PG and detachable mag. You can use detachable mags, though.thanks..i would get one, but theyre a little out of my price range and i just got my saiga. thanks though.

DedEye
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
could you type out those abbreviations just to be clear? basiclly ur saying his boss found him responsible enough to own that gun in it's current state?

LEO = law enforcement officer. AW = assault weapon.

If he has the letter from his chief, then he's good to go.

Saigon1965
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Plinker is more eloquent with words -

Law enforcement officer -

Assault weapon -

Pilot
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
thanks dedeye and saigon.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Plinker is more eloquent with words -

Law enforcement officer -

Assault weapon -

The word you're looking for is "long winded." ;)

Your answer was correct and concise.

bwiese
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Not only is a letter from chief required, but that letter is used to get DOJ registration.

[This does not apply if the AW is owned/issued by the dept. for duty use.]

aplinker
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Not only is a letter from chief required, but that letter is used to get DOJ registration.

[This does not apply if the AW is owned/issued by the dept. for duty use.]

I said that. :p

nobs11
10-31-2008, 4:21 PM
LE doesn't usually bust their own. It might be frowned upon but it is unlikely that another cop will bust him for it.

RobT2K
11-01-2008, 2:26 AM

+1
Because SDSO is not handing out letters for Deputies to get their own AW's.

motorhead
11-01-2008, 11:55 AM
i don't see kolender signing off on this. just another case of cops being above the law. i don't mean that in a bad way, it's just a fact of life. sdso has a history of looking the other way on deputies personal guns and, of course, dumanis would never prosecute.

Saigon1965
11-01-2008, 11:57 AM
But still able to buy off list items -

+1
Because SDSO is not handing out letters for Deputies to get their own AW's.

bwiese
11-01-2008, 12:53 PM
i don't see kolender signing off on this.

Kolender's not really signing anything for anyone - even for paperclip & staple orders.

SDSO is de facto headless - he appears to be spiraling downward w/Alzheimer's, there's some speculation it's combined with heavy drinking, and the dept is run by assistants.