PDA

View Full Version : RADD Lock or JJPERL Lock 4 AK's?

GenLee
10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
What say you? Just picked up my new AK :cool2: that has the allen head screw type lock :sleeping: and want to upgrade to a more user friendly mag lock/bullet button.

Which one is your favorite and how easy was the installation?

SJgunguy24
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
The RADD locks are pretty slick. I'm gonna convert a Saiga and the radd lock is what will be installed. Have you looked at Monster man grips,. got that on the Noveske.

GenLee
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
The RADD locks are pretty slick. I'm gonna convert a Saiga and the radd lock is what will be installed. Have you looked at Monster man grips,. got that on the Noveske.

I have not yet shot with a MM grip yet. My buddy just installed one on his AR Varmit. I will be trying it out on his first because I am into the ergonomic's of a pistol grip. But it is a viable option. Let me know how the RADD lock install goes.

Bowser
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
MMG or JumboPanda. No mods FTW.

DedEye
10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
For an AK I'd go with a JJPerl or a Jumbopanda mag lock. I like the RADD locks for USCs and other guns, but not the AK model.

GenLee
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Isn't the Jumbopanda mag lock, Just the screw in between the mag release and the trigger gaurd? Function more like the Prince 50's do on the AR's? Not like BBish?

aplinker
10-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Isn't the Jumbopanda mag lock, Just the screw in between the mag release and the trigger gaurd? Function more like the Prince 50's do on the AR's? Not like BBish?

No.

The closest parallel to the JP lock is the B-15. It's a lock easily removed, but functions as a bullet-button.

It OWNS. Hands down it's the way to go. It's completely unobtrusive in appearance when a mag is loaded and it's the easiest to actuate.

SunriseF150
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
If you have preban mags then hands down a MMG is the way to go. Although with a pinned underfolder, it just has to have the pistol grip to look right so a mag lock is called for. I like the jumbopanda as it's removable and you don't need to alter the gun to install it. The Raddlock is great as it's not some bulky device but I just don't like that you have to drill out the original latch pin and replace it with something else.

GenLee
10-31-2008, 12:59 PM
No.

The closest parallel to the JP lock is the B-15. It's a lock easily removed, but functions as a bullet-button.

It OWNS. Hands down it's the way to go. It's completely unobtrusive in appearance when a mag is loaded and it's the easiest to actuate.

Why does Addax not have them? Where does one get these Jumbopanda locks?

aplinker
10-31-2008, 1:12 PM
Why does Addax not have them? Where does one get these Jumbopanda locks?

From JumboPanda.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93866

EBR Works
10-31-2008, 1:25 PM

Yep, I have owned all three available products. JumboPanda is the winner! I wouldn't call it unobtrusive but it is by far the simplest and most effective design requiring NO mods to the original weapon. Easily reversible in 5 seconds for trips out of State or MMG/preban mag usage. I have it installed on an AK and a PSL-54c.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 1:30 PM
Radd's is the least conspicuous.

JJPerl is made out of METAL. ;)

scubamark13
10-31-2008, 1:31 PM
I too have owned all three and the Jumbopanda mag lock is the best but they all have good features. Try the Jumbopanda mag lock if you don't like it you can always take it off and use one of the others.

GenLee
10-31-2008, 2:16 PM
Ok I'm sold. I've PMed JP. I thank all of you for your help. As usual you guys come through.:gunsmilie:

swift
10-31-2008, 10:51 PM
the jumbopanda lock is fantastic!

SJgunguy24
10-31-2008, 11:05 PM
I shot a WASR that had a jumbopanda on it. The metal kept flexing and the lock fell off. The RADD lock uses the same action as the standard mag release. When switching back to O.E. pop the "E" clip replace the guts and your G.T.G.

The jumbopanda just fell off the rifle no matter how tight it was. It would work loose.

EBR Works
10-31-2008, 11:28 PM
I shot a WASR that had a jumbopanda on it. The metal kept flexing and the lock fell off. The RADD lock uses the same action as the standard mag release. When switching back to O.E. pop the "E" clip replace the guts and your G.T.G.

The jumbopanda just fell off the rifle no matter how tight it was. It would work loose.

To properly secure the JP lock you need to clamp it when you tighten the internal allen head screw. This keeps the large nut from twisting inside the channel. Blue thread locker will help keep the allen screw tight. See his post regarding this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93866

Swapping back the original mag release after removal of the Raddlock or JJPerl lock is not easy for the average person since getting the spring back in place can be very tricky. You'll need a vise, needle nose pliers, small zip ties, a punch, a hammer and a lot of patience. You'll also need to crush the rivets with ball bearings in a vise to make sure that the assembly doesn't come apart. I have done this a few times and still find it to be a major hassle. :banghead: No way this can be done in the field.

JumboPanda....the right choice!

savageevo
10-31-2008, 11:37 PM
I have to put my two cents in. I have tried all of them and I have to say Jumbopands bb is by far the best design. No mods to apply to your rifle and its reversable out side of cali in seconds. Trust me on this one, JP is the best.