PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else waiting for Bravo Co. bolt carrier groups?

oddball
10-31-2008, 8:15 AM
I have been on a waiting list for a while (3 weeks) and haven't heard anything.
I understand these are hard to get, but just curious if anyone else has been on their list and the result.

Sleepnosis
10-31-2008, 8:32 AM
F* waiting lists. I've been looking for about 2 weeks until yesterday.

Denny's Guns had them restocked and solt out in a few hours. Should have posted this yesterday.

Linus
10-31-2008, 9:41 AM
What makes them so good? I have a CMMG BCG and I doubt the Bravo will be noticeably better in a semi.

oddball
10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
What makes them so good? I have a CMMG BCG and I doubt the Bravo will be noticeably better in a semi.

From their website:

BCM™ (MPI) complete bolt carrier group is fully assembled.
Bolt carrier group (auto version) for your AR15, M16, or M4. Parkerized exterior and chrome lined inside carrier. Machined to USGI specifications. This M16/M4 carrier includes the proper Mil-Spec gas key. Gas key is chrome lined and heat treated per GI specifications. Gas key is secured to carrier via USGI domestic mfg Grade 8 fasteners and properly staked per Mil-Specs. These properly hardened parts insure a strong staking and proper gas system functioning.

The bolt assembly is shot peened for increased strength, includes tool steel machined extractor, BCM™ Extractor Spring, and is MPI (Magnetic Partical Inspected).

Features
MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
Shot Peened Bolt
Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
Chrome Lined Gas Key
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
BCM™ Extractor Spring
Black Extractor Insert
Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring

The BCG is likely the most important part(s) in an AR. The word of mouth on these are outstanding. They are priced very fairly. Just hard to get.

Like a lot of other passions and hobbies, in building ARs, one can get a little enthusiastic :D.

Besides, spare BCGs are a must for anyone who likes to shoot ARs.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 11:34 AM

individually MPId bolts, properly staked keys, properly chromed, etc...

It's just cheap insurance for reliability.

Mark One
10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
I have one on my list.

The AR fund is low after I bought the Upper and CTR stock. So I am in no rush...yet...

oddball
10-31-2008, 1:18 PM
I have one on my list.

The AR fund is low after I bought the Upper and CTR stock. So I am in no rush...yet...

Well, maybe you should get on the list :).

By the time funds come back at you, the BCGs might finally be available :D.

tankerman
10-31-2008, 1:33 PM
Is bolt and/or carrier failure common?

It seems obvious that an improperly staked gas key could be a problem. Broken firing pins and worn out extractors occur in pretty much all firearms.

What failures are most common and which of the common failures would be avoided by owning this BCG over other standard brands, like Armalite, BM, RRA etc.

Do they cost more and if so is it worth the cost?

aplinker
10-31-2008, 3:53 PM
First off, they're not really more expensive - by about $5-10. Considering the BCG is the reliability heart and soul, it's worth it. Some of that cost is going toward an improved extractor operation (upgraded spring, insert, o-ring).

Carriers don't really fail. Bolts and staking are the issue.

Bolts break at the lugs and at the cam pin (less common), extractors fail, gas rings fail. Eventually, all bolts will fail. The point of the QC is to make sure this either happens during the QC HPT/MPI test, or not until the end of service life. Some of the small parts also can wear/die sooner (extractor spring if SS instead of chrome silicon will take a set every cycle), etc.

Keep in mind, most issues will occur more with the carbine gas system (hardest on components).

From my perspective, and like I've said, it's cheap insurance.

A spare bolt would be one of the 1st items I'd keep in my bag/gun to ensure I can keep running, should something go wrong.

Is bolt and/or carrier failure common?

It seems obvious that an improperly staked gas key could be a problem. Broken firing pins and worn out extractors occur in pretty much all firearms.

What failures are most common and which of the common failures would be avoided by owning this BCG over other standard brands, like Armalite, BM, RRA etc.

Do they cost more and if so is it worth the cost?

NiteQwill
10-31-2008, 3:56 PM
I'm waiting too. I've gotten the email several times that they are in stock and when I try to buy em, it's already out... :(

Addax
10-31-2008, 4:43 PM
Same issue with LMT too, we were told 4 weeks ETA...

oddball
10-31-2008, 4:47 PM
A spare bolt would be one of the 1st items I'd keep in my bag/gun to ensure I can keep running, should something go wrong.

I concur. As far as I'm concerned, if plan to hang on to your rifle and shoot it in the long term, you should have a spare BCG, in addition to some lower parts.

Mark One
11-03-2008, 5:04 PM
Quick question I know the answer too but I just want to be 100% sure. On another forum some guy said this:
that is the full auto version, and the law is very strict that any full auto parts even if it is a bolt makes the rifle a machinegun and a 200 dollar tax stamp is required.

This is not true correct? We are allowed to buy the Auto version of the BCM BCG right?

CCWFacts
11-03-2008, 5:10 PM
I concur. As far as I'm concerned, if plan to hang on to your rifle and shoot it in the long term, you should have a spare BCG, in addition to some lower parts.

Are BCGs interchangeable, drop-in parts on standard AR-15s?

Mark One
11-03-2008, 5:11 PM
This article is where he got it from:
http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

So is the BCM BCG a M16 part or a AR-15 part?

AlohaRover
11-03-2008, 5:17 PM
This article is where he got it from:
http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

So is the BCM BCG a M16 part or a AR-15 part?

Interchangable, but its not a registered part any more then a barrel is.

Mark One
11-03-2008, 5:33 PM
So I cannot get in trouble for it?

a1fabweld
11-03-2008, 6:30 PM
I upgraded all my bcu's with LMT units. From what I understand they are about the same & way more likely to be available.

aplinker
11-03-2008, 6:31 PM
We've had the M16 BCG discussion 3 times in as many days now.

Do a search. I've posted an ATF letter that specifically states the M16 BCG is allowed in a semi-auto rifle.

J_Rock
11-03-2008, 6:33 PM
Just got mine today, correct carrier key staking, black extractor insert, MP stamped on the bolt, smelled kinda funny.

CrazyJeep
11-03-2008, 9:01 PM
...smelled kinda funny.

Like ciggarettes? :tooth:

RECCE556
11-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Double and triple check you LMT BCG's. I've had bad ones from different batches. From incorrectly sized lugs to carriers that would eat gas rings after just a few shots. LMT isn't what it used to be (despite their marketing). I just got some charging handles from them that wouldn't fit into the upper. Apparently, their machining wasn't complete and it left some material on the "shoulder" which prevent it from fitting into the upper all the way (the latch didn't lock in place like it should of)

I usually stick with USGI BCG's (Colt, FNMI, AO, etc.) but those aren't exactly easy to find nor are they cheap when you do find 'em (but they're worth the $$$ IMO). BCM's are a good second choice but availiablity is spotty on those too...FWIW, I'd rather wait and get a good BCG then get impatient and buy something of lesser quality (CMMG, Stag/CMT, DPMS, RRA, etc...)

doughboy334
11-03-2008, 11:20 PM
If I buy a new bolt will I have to have the rifle headspaced?

FreedomIsNotFree
11-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I went with a JP Rifles TOS and love it. The cycle is extremely smooth and its extremely well built.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.php