PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Power Inverter

lcpl. huynh
10-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap power inverter/converter (whatever its called) so that I don't fry my electronics? The electric plug that I bought from the Iraqi shop almost burned my room down as soon as I plugged something into it. The ones I found on Amazon are quite expensive. Thanks.

Cpl. Huynh, Nhan

nick
10-31-2008, 1:01 AM
If I remember correctly, it's two round sticks, right? What's the wattage you're looking for?

Buying electrical stuff or electronics from the locals is dangerous, anyway, they either make it themselves, or buy it from the same kind of hacks in Iran. Just look at the way they do electrical wiring, and ask yourself if you'd trust the person who did that to make any equipment for you :)

nick
10-31-2008, 1:06 AM
Here's one site, pending the info about wattage:

http://www.220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/prod.html

I'm not sure what they charge for shipping though.

MustangO4
10-31-2008, 3:06 AM
I go home in 41 days. Mine cost about $45 at the PX. You can have it. Where are you? I'll ship it to you. I am on Camp Slayer in Baghdad if you get this way.

lcpl. huynh
10-31-2008, 5:07 AM
sweet, pm sent, thanks for your help. I was looking for a volt converter from 220 to 110 with the weird Iraqi 3 prong plug.

MustangO4
10-31-2008, 9:54 AM
No problem, I'll shoot you the adaptor as well. Many of your toys have a built in converter though. Laptops, razors etc generally do. Look at the UL label on the device or cord. What you are looking for is it to saw "220/110" or something close (240/115, 230/115 etc) If it does, you can plug it into a 220v plug with just the cheap plug adaptor. IF however it only says 110 or 115 or something around there, DO NOT plug it in. The device will run faster, brighter louder etc than you have ever seen.......for about two seconds, then smoke, and your device is history. Same thing goes for power strips. Only use 220 rated strips with the UL sticker on them.

Good luck. While I am sending you a care package ;-) do you need anything else Marine? I am living the good FOBIT life this time through up in Baghdad. Big PXs and good chowhalls as far as the eye can see.

On another note, I have a gentleman who is sending care packages to the Marines here, via me. I will shoot him your address too. These guys here are getting fat.

lcpl. huynh
11-01-2008, 4:06 AM
Thanks a lot sir, the PX at Habbaniya does not have anything, heck, I spend more time in the PX truck at the FOBs than I do at our own PX. Thank you for forwarding my address to the care package sender, my platoon will greatly appreciate the generosity, we're very good about distributing the contents of care packages amongst each other. Have a safe trip back sir.

Cpl. Huynh

hitman13
11-01-2008, 6:05 AM
Many of your toys have a built in converter though. Laptops, razors etc generally do. Look at the UL label on the device or cord. What you are looking for is it to saw "220/110" or something close (240/115, 230/115 etc) If it does, you can plug it into a 220v plug with just the cheap plug adaptor. IF however it only says 110 or 115 or something around there, DO NOT plug it in. The device will run faster, brighter louder etc than you have ever seen.......for about two seconds, then smoke, and your device is history. Same thing goes for power strips. Only use 220 rated strips with the UL sticker on them.

+1

Only thing I use 110v for is my voip, coffee grinder and espresso machine.

Thats right, I said I have an espresso machine!:43::43::43:

Stormfeather
11-24-2008, 3:49 AM
+1

Only thing I use 110v for is my voip, coffee grinder and espresso machine.

Thats right, I said I have an espresso machine!:43::43::43:

why does that not surprise me? :rolleyes:

6172crew
11-25-2008, 5:35 PM
why does that not surprise me? :rolleyes:
We rigged a 32 inch tv/vhs combo in one of our CH46s.:D

You know how it goes w/ the Pr0n on the boat.