PDA

View Full Version : Smoky 357 loads

ShootSki
01-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Iím new to Calguns and reloading.

I recently loaded some 357 magnum rounds using dirty once fired brass, 158 grain lead round nose bullets, small pistol magnum primers, and various charges of Bullseye powder ranging from 5 to 6 grains. This was my first time using Bullseye. The ammo accuracy seemed fine out of my S&W revolver with four inch barrel, but was super smoky, so much so that my neighbor at the range commented on the cloud of smoke that engulfed him each time I fired.

Is this smokiness typical of Bullseye powder, is it indicative of some problem, or should I not worry about it?

I see in some posts related to other calibers that Bullseye is referred to as dirty. Does smoky=dirty?

Also from what I have read, I think I should be using small pistol primers for 357, but have been unable to procure the non-magnum version. Would this be making a difference?

Thanks for the input.

zvardan
01-08-2017, 11:29 AM
It's from the bullet lube (lead bullets only). Use jacketed or plated and the problem with subside, though there's nothing wrong using lead, it'll just be smokey. It's fairly common.

Also, you don't need a magnum primer with bullseye but has nothing to do with the smoke.

Divernhunter
01-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Yes I bet it is the lube.
You may not need mag primers but all I use is mag primers and have never had any problems. "I personally" do not use Bullseye as it is far too easy to double charge and blow up a firearm. It has happened too many times for me to chance it. That said there is nothing wrong about the powder. Plus I had 15+ pounds of 700X left over from shotgun reloading years ago that I am still working on plus the 8-9 pounds of Unique and 12 pounds of Win231.

I do not know where you are located but I would trade some reg primers I got for your mag ones. And they will not make a difference on the smoke or anything else. There was a test done with a 357 that showed the mag primers gave better accuracy with the powders they tested. Use them and be glad. All I can get is regular ones and I will not buy them. Waiting on my local shop(that has good prices) to get mag primers----and some Fed 215 for my rifles.

Barbarosa
01-08-2017, 1:14 PM
Bullseye is great powder but is notoriously dirty, especially when fired out of shorter barrels. When I shoot my polished SS 640 it ends up looking like it is blued after about a dozen rounds. I usually load between 2.8 and 3.2 grains with 158 grain LSWC, but occasionally load them closer to the range you are in. When I shoot the hotter loads out of the 2" barrel people think I'm shooting black powder because of the smoke.

BajaJames83
01-08-2017, 1:15 PM
Bullseye isn't too smokey it is the lead bullets

rsrocket1
01-08-2017, 4:44 PM
If you cast, try powder coating. If they are store bought lead bullets, try the exact same recipe with plated or jacketed bullets just for fun. I'll bet you'll see a lot less smoke.

In the mean time, have fun with the smoke belching loads. That's half the fun of shooting, especially outdoors.

Divernhunter
01-08-2017, 6:20 PM
If someone asks about the smoke just tell them you like to use black powder in your loads. :) Then wait for their reaction :) :)

JagerDog
01-08-2017, 8:48 PM
Smokey is pretty much always the lube.

One reason I like the Bear Creek moly coated slugs.

robert101
01-09-2017, 2:01 PM
I experienced the smoky problem in my last batch of 38 Special +P rounds fired this past weekend. I too used Bullseye powder but with plated bullets. It had to be the powder that was smoking so much.

pennstater
01-09-2017, 3:02 PM
If someone asks about the smoke just tell them you like to use black powder in your loads. :) Then wait for their reaction :) :)
Ha! Good one Diver! Likin' that.

Divernhunter
01-09-2017, 3:25 PM
You are very welcome to use it if that question comes up.

ShootSki
01-09-2017, 9:01 PM
It's from the bullet lube (lead bullets only). Use jacketed or plated and the problem with subside, though there's nothing wrong using lead, it'll just be smokey. It's fairly common.

Also, you don't need a magnum primer with bullseye but has nothing to do with the smoke.

Thanks for the input

ShootSki
01-09-2017, 9:14 PM
"I personally" do not use Bullseye as it is far too easy to double charge and blow up a firearm. It has happened too many times for me to chance it.

Interesting. Is this because the charge is small relative to the length of the case?

Plus I had 15+ pounds of 700X left over from shotgun reloading years ago that I am still working on plus the 8-9 pounds of Unique and 12 pounds of Win231.

That's some inventory! I've heard stories about when this stuff was easy to come by...

I do not know where you are located but I would trade some reg primers I got for your mag ones. And they will not make a difference on the smoke or anything else. There was a test done with a 357 that showed the mag primers gave better accuracy with the powders they tested. Use them and be glad.

I'm in Livermore, would be happy to swap a few if you ever find yourself in these parts. Let's discuss on PM. Good to know on accuracy. Thanks for all the info.

ShootSki
01-09-2017, 9:17 PM
....I usually load between 2.8 and 3.2 grains with 158 grain LSWC...

Good to know I can go with less powder. Will give that a try and see if the smoke thins.

Marshal Sixgun
01-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Like others I have found bullseye on the dirty side, but lube is definitely a major contributor to smokiness.