PDA

View Full Version : moving back to Cali

socalarmy
10-30-2008, 9:08 PM
I am in the Army stationed in Texas. My question is this, I am moving back to Southern Cal and since I have lived in Texas I have accumilated a number of pistols and rifle's. All are Cali legal but I am trying to figure out what i have to do when I do move back. The last time I lived there I was to young to own a gun, so do I just go to local police station to register my firearms or how do I do it?

hk-p2000
10-30-2008, 9:16 PM
can't answer your question, but buy some non cali aproved guns since you're not a cali resident yet.

socalarmy
10-30-2008, 10:09 PM
yeah but wont I have to get rid of them when i move back.

hk-p2000
10-30-2008, 10:34 PM
no you don't have too.

ke6guj
10-30-2008, 11:10 PM
To clarify, hk-p2000 is suggesting that you buy handguns that are not on the Roster, not that you buy handguns that are not legal in CA.

A person moving into CA can bring in and register handguns that are "not on the list" as long as they are otherwise not prohibited per pistol AW regs. Also no .410 pistols.

hk-p2000
10-31-2008, 3:30 PM
To clarify, hk-p2000 is suggesting that you buy handguns that are not on the Roster, not that you buy handguns that are not legal in CA.

A person moving into CA can bring in and register handguns that are "not on the list" as long as they are otherwise not prohibited per pistol AW regs. Also no .410 pistols.

thanks for clarifying it.

6litespeed9
11-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Hello SocalArmy,
Please PM me--I was just wondering if you have these guns in your vast collection that I would love to buy off you ---if you would not want them anymore when you back to Socal and then suddenly decide to sell them only to me--wink-wink--wink.

socalarmy
11-03-2008, 6:01 PM
my small collection consist of nothing exotic really... a SA, Socom II. HK mark-23. a Para-Ord Nite-Tac double stack 1911 14rd 5in,45ACP that I have to aquire 10rnd mags for and a S&W MP40 in 40SW 4.25 Inch, 15rd. A Benelli M4 Shotgun with the M4 standard stock on the way to make Cali legal and a Taurus CIA model 650 .357MAG hammerless revolver. Still a small collection bvut I just started buying firearms about a year ago when I returned from my secon rotation to Iraq. IF anyone know of someone selling M1A 10 round mags at a decent price let me know. All I have now is 20 rounders and I am trying to get legit with our great state.

ke6guj
11-03-2008, 6:04 PM
On the Mk23, you'll either need to remove the barrel and never install it while in CA, or else have the threads removed. Otherwise, with a detachable magazine, it is an AW.

socalarmy
11-03-2008, 9:23 PM
are you serious? that blows

ke6guj
11-03-2008, 9:59 PM
As I mentioned above, you can't bring in pistol AWs12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder. One possible option, you are in the Army and are moving back to CA, is that on orders? If so, I dunno but perhaps a CA resident with orders to be stationed in CA may be able to get a Military AW permit for while he is stationed in CA.

socalarmy
11-03-2008, 10:05 PM
no im getting out of the army so that wont work. well that makes my decision on having to sell it alot easier

pl408
11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
wanna trade that mark 23 for a usp expert?

ke6guj
11-03-2008, 10:16 PM
If you don't want to sell it, you could have the threads removed by a machinist and be legal, assuming you have 10-round mags for it.

aplinker
11-04-2008, 12:34 AM
no im getting out of the army so that wont work. well that makes my decision on having to sell it alot easier

You should sell it when you get here.

Just disassemble the gun.

Mk23s in CA go for several hundred what they do out of state. The buyer can then turn down the threads or buy a barrel without them.

socalarmy
11-04-2008, 8:40 PM
yeah im not trying to get rid of it really. i paid alot for it and i love the way it performs. i am currently looking for a new barrel without threads

JDay
12-02-2008, 6:27 PM
If you don't want to sell it, you could have the threads removed by a machinist and be legal, assuming you have 10-round mags for it.

Or order a non-threaded MK23 barrel from HK.