PDA

View Full Version : Deer and Quail hunting at same time ?

Mad Max
10-30-2008, 5:03 PM
I want to go deer hunting this weekend at D14. I saw more quail at this zone than deer. It would be to much to carry my 870 Shotgun and my Savage 30.06. So I was thinking about taking the shotgun and 3 inch mag slugs incase I see a deer within 100 yards or so. Can you shot slugs through a modified choke? Or should I take a buddy as a gun caddy? What if my buddy does'nt have a hunting licence. Can he still be running around carrying my rifle or shotgun? I have better chances of getting quail than even seeing a deer. But if I see a deer and am not ready for it I will be really pi**ed off. What do you guys think or what would you do?

popndrop
10-30-2008, 5:25 PM
hand grenades...they work for both deer and quail, and you can carry quite a few, as they are small and compact. :12:

Gunaria
10-30-2008, 5:25 PM
I say you hunt for one or the other. Dual hunting large game and birds at the same time with the same gun does not work. I tried it and it did not work out to well.

Moonclip
10-30-2008, 7:18 PM
Isn't this type of huntimng common in Europe, reaso they have drillings? I suppose one could use one of those combo guns too like a old Savage with .22hornet and 20ga barrels.

Backcountry
10-30-2008, 8:18 PM
This time of year I carry an O/U combo in .243/12 gauge.

Trapper
10-31-2008, 5:40 PM
Remember where you found quail and return to hunt them after your deer tag is filled. You could get in an hour or two of quail hunting in the afternoon but I wouldn't carry a second gun while deer hunting.

pieeater
10-31-2008, 9:10 PM
I saw more quail at this zone than deer

As soon as you have a shotgun with you, you will never see another quail.

r08ert209cali
10-31-2008, 10:47 PM
carry the shotgun and a revolver 357 or better.

Thefeeder
10-31-2008, 11:46 PM
I saw more quail at this zone than deer

As soon as you have a shotgun with you, you will never see another quail.

Amen!

Rob454
11-01-2008, 8:44 PM
I want to go deer hunting this weekend at D14. I saw more quail at this zone than deer. It would be to much to carry my 870 Shotgun and my Savage 30.06. So I was thinking about taking the shotgun and 3 inch mag slugs incase I see a deer within 100 yards or so. Can you shot slugs through a modified choke? Or should I take a buddy as a gun caddy? What if my buddy does'nt have a hunting licence. Can he still be running around carrying my rifle or shotgun? I have better chances of getting quail than even seeing a deer. But if I see a deer and am not ready for it I will be really pi**ed off. What do you guys think or what would you do?

Your buddy CANNOT carry a gun and hunt. Even if he is not hunting if a F&G officer sees you hes in trouble. Ive been in your situation and depending on the terrain youre better off with a shotgun. The problem youll have is if you go quail hunting youll scare off the deer. When i go I usually go for deer early morning and late afternoon. Deer tend to bed down in the daytime ( depeding on weather). You can kick one out though just by moving though brush.. Either way if you do that deer sometimes will go a few hundred yards and stop. other times they will kep going. You wont have wnough time to switch from bird shot to slug ammo.
youre better off doing deer in the early morning quail in the afternoon and deer in the evening before sundown. Thats what I usually do

Do you know how to distinguish doe from buck tracks ( asking simply because I dont know your hunting experience)? it would suck to track one down and find a doe instead of a buck. Remember you can only shoot fork and horn or better . if its a spike only you better not shoot it and NO does. Last time I went I got my tag filled and the guy behind me shot a doe ( he was out of state guy) but you shoudl of seen the fish and game guy come literally UNGLUED.
Rob

forgiven
11-01-2008, 8:54 PM
Lost a deer one season trying to play the slug, bird shot game with my S/S. Hunt deer first and save the quail for after deer season. You'll have plenty of time for hunting birds.

Mad Max
11-01-2008, 9:56 PM
Thank you all for the good advice and experience. Most where posted after I left this morning for hunting. I decided to take my 870 with improved cylinder and keep a slug in the chamber with 2 #8 shells behind it. The ideal being if I see a deer I could take a quick shot. If I saw Quail I cycle the slug out and have 2 shots before reloading. I did not run into any deer. I did however surprise a Quail around a bend. I cycled the slug out and got a shot at him just as he broke. I missed. 2 or 3 more broke from a tall brush on my left and I could not see them through the brush. 1 broke to my right and high and I dropped him. I had a few that stuck to brush and would let loose when my back was turned. Some I only heard and never saw. I walked all day up and down steep terrain, got caught in a quick downpour and had a great adventure. Any day I'm out in the field is a great day :D.

Gunaria
11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
It sounds like you were hunting in the SBNF. I have have even see you today.

Mad Max
11-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Gunaria; Yes, I was in San Bernadino National Forest. I went down Coxey creek ( dry creek ) to Deep creek. I fought through some thick brush at times and payed a price. My 870 and my H & R .22 both got scratched up pretty good. But still I had a good time.

Gunaria
11-02-2008, 7:36 AM
Gunaria; Yes, I was in San Bernadino National Forest. I went down Coxey creek ( dry creek ) to Deep creek. I fought through some thick brush at times and payed a price. My 870 and my H & R .22 both got scratched up pretty good. But still I had a good time.

I was playing around the Bear Creek area on the other side of the 1N09. It's ashame the forest service has closed 1N09 from the 330 all the way to Bear Creek.

Rob454
11-02-2008, 9:59 AM
quick tip on quail. If you flush a covey dont go crazy because whatever you see that flew away there are astill soem quail laying low in the brush. jsut astart kicking brush and they will flush. Gives you more time to aim and take birds. When i go I usually hit abotu 6-8 daily. And thats without dogs. I get skunked sometimes but it doesnt happen often
Rob