PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

rmanaseri
10-30-2008, 1:49 PM
is it the high capacity mag thats banned in california or is it the fact that its considered an evil feature thats banning it?

i ask because if a monster man grip is installed along with a bullet button, would a high cap mag be allowed?

im familiar with guns having been in the service, but just recently got into acquireing those which ive always wanted. still trying to decipher the rules on whats allowed and not allowed.

Jicko
10-30-2008, 1:54 PM
do you have any high capacity magazines?

asheron2
10-30-2008, 2:14 PM
do you have any high capacity magazines?

I dont believe that is a very apprpriate question, cause if he said yes you guys would just heckle him off the boards.

As for the Hi-cap mag, I believe the hicap magazines are banned themselves unless they are pre ban.

Putting a Hicap into an AR, even if it is CA legal, makes it an evil weapon, if the gun has the Bullet button in it, because the gun can now accept more than 10 rounds, even if your top loading.

ohsmily
10-30-2008, 2:19 PM
I dont believe that is a very apprpriate question, cause if he said yes you guys would just heckle him off the boards. Why the hell would we heckle him off the board for owning high capacity magazines????!!!??

As for the Hi-cap mag, I believe the hicap magazines are banned themselves unless they are pre ban. NO, no magazines are banned.

Putting a Hicap into an AR, even if it is CA legal, makes it an evil weapon because the gun can now accept more than 10 rounds, even if your top loading.NO, NO, NO. If it is a featureless rifle, you can have a fully detachable magazine with no concern about magazine capacity.

Stop trying to help Asheron, until you understand the law yourself!!! You have dispensed two pieces of bad information/FUD.

:banghead:

10+ round mags are NOT evil features!! In fact, the detachable magazine feature is not "an evil feature." Rather, it is a feature that if present, subjects a rifle to 12776 and the evil feature game. Read the FLOW CHART. There is a link to it in the upper right portion of you forum screen.

If you build a featureless CA legal rifle, you can use high capacity magazine.

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2008, 2:20 PM
My take on it is; if you own high-caps, leave 'em hidden and only bring 'em out when SHTF or you go out-of-state.

asheron2
10-30-2008, 2:33 PM
Stop trying to help Asheron, until you understand the law yourself!!! You have dispensed two pieces of bad information/FUD. How many other people have you dispensed this bad info to???

:banghead:

10+ round mags are NOT evil features!! In fact, the detachable magazine feature is not "an evil feature." Rather, it is a feature that if present, subjects a rifle to 12776 and the evil feature game. Read the FLOW CHART. There is a link to it in the upper right portion of you forum screen.

If you build a featureless CA legal rifle, you can use high capacity magazine.

I appologize for the bad info i have edited my post again sry about that. Didnt read the monsterman Grip part

ARTICLE 2. UNLAWFUL CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

If that law is gone thats really awesome or if there is a loophole thats cool too.

ohsmily
10-30-2008, 2:38 PM
My take on it is; if you own high-caps, leave 'em hidden and only bring 'em out when SHTF or you go out-of-state.

WHAT?!!? why???? I guess you should just leave your guns hidden and not take them out either until SHTF. There is NO LAW PROHIBITING POSSESSION of high capacity magazines. If you own them, use them. If they wear out, you can replace any and all parts of it to repair it.

Why would you leave a perfectly legal and useful/fun item hidden and never used?

devildog999
10-30-2008, 3:02 PM
WHAT?!!? why???? I guess you should just leave your guns hidden and not take them out either until SHTF. There is NO LAW PROHIBITING POSSESSION of high capacity magazines. If you own them, use them. If they wear out, you can replace any and all parts of it to repair it.

Why would you leave a perfectly legal and useful/fun item hidden and never used?

Not the best info. He can only use hi cap mags if HE owned them BEFORE the 2000 ban. Otherwise he cannot have them. You are not even allowed to have them if you got them later even if not being used in a rifle. The only way you can is if they are disassembled (at least that part I am not 100% sure about)

ohsmily
10-30-2008, 3:55 PM
Not the best info. He can only use hi cap mags if HE owned them BEFORE the 2000 ban. Otherwise he cannot have them. You are not even allowed to have them if you got them later even if not being used in a rifle. The only way you can is if they are disassembled (at least that part I am not 100% sure about)

REALLY?!?! You aren't 100% sure about any of this are you?

Can you please cite the portion of the Penal Code that prohibits possession of high capacity magazines or their use in a gun if you didn't have the magazine before 1/1/2000? Please??? I am on the edge of my seat to see where possession of a high capacity magazine (regardless of the date of acquisition) is prohibited by the penal code.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't ask people where/when they got their magazines. What I can tell you is that possession is not regulated; only importation, sale, transfer, etc, etc is prohibited after 1/1/2000. So, my information was 100% accurate and, contrary to your statement, was the best information.

aplinker
10-30-2008, 4:13 PM

There are legal means of acquisition of hi-caps now, too. Some just haven't come to fruition.

Ohsmily isn't exactly someone who gets his law wrong. :)

I'd really like to point out that the use of a bullet button, even on a featureless rifle, would preclude the use of large capacity mags. This is because once you fix the mag it can not have a capacity exceeding 10rds or it's an assault weapon.

To the OP: welcome to CA laws. Featureless rifles are the way to go if you have large capacity mags. They are not prohibited from use. You are stuck with 10rd mags if you use a BB, but you can add all the features you want.

I'd suggest reading through these:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

That will help you a bunch. :)

asheron2
10-30-2008, 4:58 PM
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

devildog999
10-30-2008, 4:59 PM
All I know is I was told by several that I could not use my mags that I got from the Marine Corps after 2000 because I did not have them before 2000. And Oshmily, the only part I was referring to about not being 100% sure was the part about not having them unless completely disassembled.

Why is it everyone says you can use only your preban mags with a featureless rifle and that when you do repairs on preban mags, you cannot end up with more than you had to begin with if they are not illegal?

CHS
10-30-2008, 5:06 PM

Yes, asheron. Exactly.

READ that law.

First off, there are a few exceptions to that law.

Second, NOTHING in that law prevents you from using or owning/possessing hi-cap mags that you owned before 1/1/200.

Do you get it now?

devildog999
10-30-2008, 5:16 PM
What is it with people and the sticks up there rumps today?

Vinz
10-30-2008, 5:54 PM
probably the elections or lack of fiber typ....I would do your homework here and error on the side of caution. :cool:

I can't wait for the guy to claim his 30 round pmag is pre ban. Talk about confusing.

vinz

asheron2
10-30-2008, 6:19 PM
probably the elections....I would do your homework here and error on the side of caution. :cool:

I can't wait for the guy to claim his 30 round pmag is pre ban. Talk about confusing.

vinz

ROFL, and agreed please err on the side of caution. Be SURE to check that your gun doesnt have a Flash Hider or collapsable stock while you use those clips..............I mean MAGS....;P

Vinz
10-30-2008, 6:24 PM
ummm ahhh "cough" mags "cough" mags

CHS
10-30-2008, 6:36 PM

First off, a mag doesn't always have to be preban owned, in order for you to be in lawful possession of it.

Second, if you have a preban AR mag which is failing, broken, etc, you are allowed to lawfully rebuild it by replacing EVERY SINGLE part. You can rebuild a preban AR mag using an entire PMAG.

It's not that confusing.

X-NewYawker
10-30-2008, 6:46 PM
Okay, If you owned t hem before t he ban, they're okay. True, the law doesn't say you can't possess them, BUT if you don't have the high capacity magazine permit, how would you have LEGALLY come into possession of high caps made after 2000?

No date stamp on the body, cool. Many mags (esp. mil contract) now come date stamped -- wouldn't having a magazine stamped with a 2005 date, for example, MEAN that you had bought or transferred or been loaned it AFTER the ban went into effect?

Ohsmilly, wouldn't that make in violation of that provision?

Vinz
10-30-2008, 6:57 PM
First off, a mag doesn't always have to be preban owned, in order for you to be in lawful possession of it.

Second, if you have a preban AR mag which is failing, broken, etc, you are allowed to lawfully rebuild it by replacing EVERY SINGLE part. You can rebuild a preban AR mag using an entire PMAG.

It's not that confusing.
Yes, I understand that, I was just throwing in another confusing aspect...you should be fine if you had the defective/broken legal high cap in posession (stripped/flattened) with you, correct? I'd just hate to be the LE that has to confirm it.

again, they have to prove you acquired it after the fact...aww never mind, now im lost. :sweatdrop: 10 round mags for everyone!!!

so its safe to say, no stamp is pre 2k?
vinz

CHS
10-30-2008, 7:23 PM
Yes, I understand that, I was just throwing in another confusing aspect...you should be fine if you had the defective/broken legal high cap in posession (stripped/flattened) with you, correct? I'd just hate to be the LE that has to confirm it.

again, they have to prove you acquired it after the fact...aww never mind, now im lost. :sweatdrop: 10 round mags for everyone!!!

Ok. Listen VERY carefully, because this has been covered here a million times already.

1.) Burden of proof is on THEM, not YOU.
2.) POSSESSION of high-capacity magazines is absolutely, 100%, totally legal. When they were manufactured DOES NOT MATTER.

Vinz
10-30-2008, 7:26 PM
thank you for spelling it out for me. yes, covered many times.

vinz

oaklander
10-30-2008, 8:05 PM
Gosh,

This thread got complicated really quick!

Three issues:

Issue "A" -- which mags go in which rifles?

1) Rifles with no "evil features" can use regular capacity magazines (i.e., "high-caps").

2) IF the rifle has ONE evil feature (pistol grip, flash hider, forward pistol grip, and/or folding/collapsible stock) then it MUST use only FIXED 10 round mags.

Issue "B" -- are regular capacity magazines legal to possess?

Yes, there is nothing illegal about OWNING a regular capacity magazine.

Issue "C" -- can you own a NEW regular capacity magazine?

Yes, since it is not illegal to build a NEW magazine to REPLACE an existing magazine. The key is that you must have (legally) had the previous magazine first.

There are also legal ways to DIRECTLY acquire NEW high-caps - but like has been said, most of those have not come to fruition yet.

CHS
10-30-2008, 8:12 PM
2) IF the rifle has ONE evil feature (pistol grip, flash hider, forward pistol grip, and/or folding/collapsible stock) then it MUST use only 10 round mags.

And the 10rd (or less) mags have to be FIXED to the gun :) (Enter bullet button, prince50, raddlock, etc)

oaklander
10-30-2008, 8:13 PM
Ooops - thanks for reminding me (I'm so used to outlining this, I forgot the most important part)!!! I will "fix" the post.

And the 10rd (or less) mags have to be FIXED to the gun :) (Enter bullet button, prince50, raddlock, etc)

CHS
10-30-2008, 8:28 PM
Ooops - thanks for reminding me (I'm so used to outlining this, I forgot the most important part)!!! I will "fix" the post.

No worries. I know you know the law, and I know what you meant. But that doesn't mean someone could get it messed up after reading.

Vinz
10-30-2008, 8:30 PM

Yes, since it is not illegal to build a NEW magazine to REPLACE an existing magazine. The key is that you must have (legally) had the previous magazine first.

There are also legal ways to DIRECTLY acquire NEW high-caps - but like has been said, most of those have not come to fruition yet.

That is one that could make it...how do you say...a bit confusing.

nice lay out...right click and save as....thank you

Vinz

asheron2
10-30-2008, 8:49 PM
Ahah i found out why i got so confused by Ohsmily :) My original conclusion I believe was right. Since he is using a bullet button he CANNOT put the 30 rd magazine in the gun even if it has no evil features.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

neener neener Ohsmiley, :P j/k you were right if it was not a fixed magazine it would be legal. man thas goofy.

So take the Bullet Button off, leave the monster man grip and you can put those mags in :D

Vinz
10-30-2008, 9:04 PM
please don't tease the vets...they can get grumpy at times. ;)

vinz

asheron2
10-30-2008, 9:07 PM
lol :rolleyes:

aplinker
10-31-2008, 6:55 AM
Gosh,

This thread got complicated really quick!

Three issues:

Issue "A" -- which mags go in which rifles?

1) Rifles with no "evil features" can use regular capacity magazines (i.e., "high-caps").

2) IF the rifle has ONE evil feature (pistol grip, flash hider, forward pistol grip, and/or folding/collapsible stock) then it MUST use only FIXED 10 round mags.

Issue "B" -- are regular capacity magazines legal to possess?

w0rd... :)

Can we stop with the large-cap paranoia?

Ahah i found out why i got so confused by Ohsmily :) My original conclusion I believe was right. Since he is using a bullet button he CANNOT put the 30 rd magazine in the gun even if it has no evil features.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

neener neener Ohsmiley, :P j/k you were right if it was not a fixed magazine it would be legal. man thas goofy.

So take the Bullet Button off, leave the monster man grip and you can put those mags in :D

:confused:

I guess you didn't read my post?

asheron2
10-31-2008, 7:10 AM
phht read other peoples posts.........NEVER!!!!!!! j/k, thought maybe it needed the code included with it.

ohsmily
10-31-2008, 9:48 AM
Okay, If you owned t hem before t he ban, they're okay. True, the law doesn't say you can't possess them, BUT if you don't have the high capacity magazine permit, how would you have LEGALLY come into possession of high caps made after 2000? How about finding them? Buying them from an armored car company?

No date stamp on the body, cool. Many mags (esp. mil contract) now come date stamped -- wouldn't having a magazine stamped with a 2005 date, for example, MEAN that you had bought or transferred or been loaned it AFTER the ban went into effect? NO!

Ohsmilly, wouldn't that make in violation of that provision? NO!

NO!

You may replace ANY and ALL parts of your legally acquired high capacity magazines with NEW parts. You can replace the body, the follower, the spring, the floorplate. You can even replace them with NEW PARTS WITH NEW DATE STAMPS. I have several magazines that I have rebuilt (they used to be crappy USA brand mags with crappy steel bodies with horrible feed lips and weak springs) with USGI parts, several parts having stamps after 2000 or "LE Only" markings from the federal ban.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
NO!

You may replace ANY and ALL parts of your legally acquired high capacity magazines with NEW parts. You can replace the body, the follower, the spring, the floorplate. You can even replace them with NEW PARTS WITH NEW DATE STAMPS. I have several magazines that I have rebuilt (they used to be crappy USA brand mags with crappy steel bodies with horrible feed lips and weak springs) with USGI parts, several parts having stamps after 2000 or "LE Only" markings from the federal ban.

He's been given this answer about a dozen times... I get exhausted posting the same answers repeatedly to the same individuals.

Thanks, buddy.

ohsmily
10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
He's been given this answer about a dozen times... I get exhausted posting the same answers repeatedly to the same individuals.

Thanks, buddy.

Since he writes for a living, I doubt that he can be so inept at reading comprehension that he still doesn't know the answer. I suspect that he does it just to ruffle feathers.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Since he writes for a living, I doubt that he can be so inept at reading comprehension that he still doesn't know the answer. I suspect that he does it just to ruffle feathers.

I would respond, but I don't think it would be within the rules of Calguns. :D

oddball
10-31-2008, 1:13 PM
P.S. I don't ask people where/when they got their magazines. What I can tell you is that possession is not regulated; only importation, sale, transfer, etc, etc is prohibited after 1/1/2000. So, my information was 100% accurate and, contrary to your statement, was the best information.

Absolutely 100% correct.

Notice in the last sentence; does not include possession, or stamped dates, etc. You don't have to be Perry Mason... :).

And the large cap mag "permits" previously mentioned in a post pertains to the import/export of these products. For FFLs. Not private citizens possessing a mag.

devildog999
10-31-2008, 2:57 PM
So if I have some that acquired from the corps that is legal to use?

ohsmily
10-31-2008, 3:09 PM
So if I have some that acquired from the corps that is legal to use?

Wow, after all this....There is no law governing the use or possession of high capacity magazines. Why is that so hard? Why are you asking about whether the high cap is legal to USE???

If you are asking whether you acquired them legally, then I ask, "Did you possess these magazines as your personal property in CA before 1/1/2000?" If so, you are fine. If you only possessed them as the property of the government on military bases or while on duty, then no, they weren't yours to possess prior to the ban. And how did you "acquire" these from the corps? Isn't is usually frowned on to retain government property after no longer in service?

Vinz
10-31-2008, 4:49 PM
:popcorn:

aplinker
10-31-2008, 4:52 PM
:popcorn:

It's a weekly popcorn thread.

devildog999
11-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow, after all this....There is no law governing the use or possession of high capacity magazines. Why is that so hard? Why are you asking about whether the high cap is legal to USE???

If you are asking whether you acquired them legally, then I ask, "Did you possess these magazines as your personal property in CA before 1/1/2000?" If so, you are fine. If you only possessed them as the property of the government on military bases or while on duty, then no, they weren't yours to possess prior to the ban. And how did you "acquire" these from the corps? Isn't is usually frowned on to retain government property after no longer in service?

Should I get you a new tampon?

Sniper3142
11-01-2008, 3:09 PM

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

I have lots of 30 round magazines and I use them ALL THE TIME!!!

I had a bunch with me at the SoCal meet & shoot we did at the Angeles range a few months ago. In fact, I use my 30 rounders whenever I shoot my AR15 (RAW). They are TOTALLY LEGAL and can be used WITHOUT FEAR.

Unless you lack a backbone.

:mad:

Vinz
11-01-2008, 6:39 PM
AR15 (RAW). They are TOTALLY LEGAL and can be used WITHOUT FEAR.

or lack a registered assult weapon, monster man grip and a featureless build. Do not use if you have a bullet button unless you want to create an unregistered assault weapon condition.

I also lack money to pay a lawyer and also hate to have my back bone showing in prison.

As said many times before, not illegal to own or use. Just know where you can use it.
Vinz

ohsmily
11-01-2008, 6:52 PM
Should I get you a new tampon?
Take the time to read the flow chart, the FAQ, and the Penal Code. You will get it eventually. Keep up tiger. You'll get it eventually.

oddball
11-01-2008, 7:08 PM
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

I have lots of 30 round magazines and I use them ALL THE TIME!!!

I had a bunch with me at the SoCal meet & shoot we did at the Angeles range a few months ago. In fact, I use my 30 rounders whenever I shoot my AR15 (RAW). They are TOTALLY LEGAL and can be used WITHOUT FEAR.

I'm assuming you're talking about your Monsterman builds when you shoot. If you are using a bullet button/B-15 build, you are breaking the law with your 30 rounders. And they are not TOTALLY LEGAL. Just legal to possess.

As far as using WITHOUT FEAR, that is up to the user. Our whole OLL situation is not sitting on 100%, money-back-guarantee bedrock.

Vinz
11-01-2008, 7:09 PM
He did state he owns a RAW....registered assault weapon. So he's good to go.

Vinz

oddball
11-01-2008, 8:46 PM
He did state he owns a RAW....registered assault weapon. So he's good to go.

Vinz

Got it. Missed it the first time.
But I still stand by my other statements. The only legal aspect to having hi-caps is possession, and use is up to the comfort level of the user. Not all users will be comfortable using their hi-cap mags. They just might be collectors ;).

aplinker
11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about your Monsterman builds when you shoot. If you are using a bullet button/B-15 build, you are breaking the law with your 30 rounders. And they are not TOTALLY LEGAL. Just legal to possess.

As far as using WITHOUT FEAR, that is up to the user. Our whole OLL situation is not sitting on 100%, money-back-guarantee bedrock.

That has NOTHING to do with the legality of use of the magazine. The illegal act isn't use of a magazine, but construction of an assault weapon.

That 2nd paragraph is paranoia. There's risk in owning firearms. The OLL risk is a fractional increase. Large capacity mags presents an infinitesimal risk. I have never heard of someone being arrested, let alone convicted, for possession or use of mags. :rolleyes:

motorhead
11-01-2008, 11:28 PM
it's small wonder every noob here ends up posting this same question. the discussion really loses sight of the original question with everyone venturing their OPINION of the use of hicaps. not to mention posting the statute as a reply only confuses them further. if they understood it they wouldn't ask for clarification.
although it probably won't work 100%, perhaps we need a magazine flowchart or sticky, independent of the aw regs for easier reference.
BTW, i've got 'em, i use 'em, i don't leave home without 'em.

devildog999
11-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Take the time to read the flow chart, the FAQ, and the Penal Code. You will get it eventually. Keep up tiger. You'll get it eventually.

It's not that I don't get it, it's that there are several answers being given to one question.

oddball
11-02-2008, 7:04 AM
That 2nd paragraph is paranoia. There's risk in owning firearms. The OLL risk is a fractional increase. Large capacity mags presents an infinitesimal risk. I have never heard of someone being arrested, let alone convicted, for possession or use of mags. :rolleyes:

That is what I stated.
The OLL risk is a fractional increase over other firearms? I agree.
Large capacity mags presents an infinitesimal risk over 10 round mags? I agree.

Am I gonna tell someone that the use of an OLL and all hi cap mags is 100% guaranteed in California compared to shotguns and bolt-actions? No, I won't. That is not paranoia.

Artery
11-03-2008, 1:01 AM

I noticed a few posts talking about ways to legally acquire new hi-caps even if you didn't own them before the ban (and they aren't rebuilds of pre-bans)? What are these ways?

eazyle
11-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I noticed a few posts talking about ways to legally acquire new hi-caps even if you didn't own them before the ban (and they aren't rebuilds of pre-bans)? What are these ways?

I think this is the bottom line question for newb's to OLL's. How would you acquire hi-cap mags today if you were new to OLL rifles? Before you can legally use them or possess them how would you first acquire them?