PDA

View Full Version : Newbe needs advise about top load A/R

AGOD
10-30-2008, 1:28 PM
Thinking about putting an AR together, but I wanto be super carefull/legal.
What about "top loaders/w take down pin. Are these good rifles or are they suckish. Any feed back would be appriciated.

sorensen440
10-30-2008, 1:31 PM
I suggest reading up a bit on what you can and cant do
There is a handy "CA AW ID Interactive Chart" in the top right of every screen.

as for top loading with takedown pins there fine but there are also ways you can remove the mag through the use of a tool ( Bullet button ) as well as the Monsterman Grip and the u15 stock that allow you to drop mags like a normal rifle.

shark92651
10-30-2008, 1:32 PM
You can top load a Noveske if you wish, it doesn't really reflect on the quality of the rifle. I guarantee you that after a couple trips to the range, and once you are over your initial paranoia, you will want to swap it out for a Bullet Button. I'll be happy to sell you a Prince50 and extended takedown pin with pull ring if you like :D

oddball
10-30-2008, 2:35 PM
I used to top load one of my rifles built with a Prince 50. I eventually switched it to a B-15 button and I'm a lot happier. The folks at the range I shoot at are very aware and support the various bullet button builds.

All depends on your comfort level.

aplinker
10-30-2008, 4:06 PM
Thinking about putting an AR together, but I wanto be super carefull/legal.
What about "top loaders/w take down pin. Are these good rifles or are they suckish. Any feed back would be appriciated.

The "Bushmaster" top-load rifles are the suck.

They're made out of plastic in parts where they shouldn't. For the money you can build your own top-quality rifle.

Spend some time browsing this site. You'll find there are MUCH better options (infinite #) out there!

Greenspartan117
10-30-2008, 4:46 PM
Build an oll with all the evil features you can possible put on it, but make sure you use either a Bullet button or a B-15 :-). I am sure glad I went the B-15 route. I might do a Monster man grip one in the near future as well. :-P

anothergunnut
10-30-2008, 6:26 PM
Don't get a Bushmaster. Total POS, they are for people who just don't get it or don't want to spend the time finding out the rules. As previous posters have mentioned, you should build it yourself using a prince 50 and an extended take down pin. That gives you a real AR15 type rifle that you can top load. When you get tired of top loading and see lots of bullet buttons at the range, you can convert to a bullet button. You can't convert that Bushmaster. If you are too paranoid to use a prince 50 and an extended take down pin, you might want to reconsider having a black rifle.

Another option that is very "safe" is a featureless rifle with a monster man grip. You get full functionality but give up the pistol grip which is no big deal.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 6:23 AM
Why on earth would you use a P50 and top load?

Use a bullet button and drop mags with a tool. It's legal, safer, and much easier to use.

scubamark13
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Why on earth would you use a P50 and top load?

Use a bullet button and drop mags with a tool. It's legal, safer, and much easier to use.

Get a bullet button you won't regret it. MMGs are also cool just decide what you want and do it.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
i top load my mag.. one rd at a time... you should educate yourself and go bb if you feel its legal.. if its not.. have fun poping off the upper

uracan
11-30-2008, 11:46 PM
I prefer a bullet button to the MMG