PDA

View Full Version : CA legal Sabre M4 Tactical 7.62

80YardShot
10-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post! You guys have an amazing community going. It's good to see so many intelligent people helping each other out and sharing our passion for shooting.

I'm ready to build/ buy my first AR! I've been looking hard at the Sabre M4 tactical in 7.62. I've been searching through the forums figuring out what has been going on with CA law and the best way to buy/ build right now.

I thought I'd just throw this post up, say hello, and get advice from the experts.

So first of all, buy complete or build?

How much trouble have you guys had mixing and matching uppers and lowers from different manufacturers, especially in 7.62?

Hello and thanks.

nobs11
10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Build. Only way to ensure that you will get something customized to your needs.

7.62 what? x51? or x39?

80YardShot
10-30-2008, 2:15 PM
x39

nobs11
10-30-2008, 2:19 PM
x39

Are you gonna reload or buy surplus ammo? If it is the latter, get an AK or Saiga and be done with it. x39 ARs are plagued with problems.

80YardShot
10-30-2008, 4:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. If I went the 5.56 route, is it even possible to buy a CA legal complete from a Sabre dealer or I'm building from pieces?

nobs11
10-30-2008, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. If I went the 5.56 route, is it even possible to buy a CA legal complete from a Sabre dealer or I'm building from pieces?

Building an AR lower is very easy and should take about 30-45 min if you are new. 15 min if you are seasoned. Any lower will work. Just DROS a lower, buy a lower parts kit, bullet button and a buttstock kit and that's that.

Get a Sabre upper, slap it on and call it a day.

Building an AR is not like building an AK. A 14 year old can do it.

A lot easier than going thru the hassle of trying to talk someone into installing a bullet button on a complete AR. Also cheaper.

aplinker
10-30-2008, 5:29 PM
It's possible to buy complete rifles, but it's not always the easiest in terms of coordination (especially selecting abnormal ones that aren't commonly stocked). There are several CA dealers and importers who will ship here, as well as many FFLs in the state who will receive them.

For the money, I think you can do better than the Sabre. They make OK stuff, but for less you can do a lot better. Their stuff is EXPENSIVE.

It's also a LOT of fun, and a mandatory education, to build your lower. If you can build legos you can do an AR lower. :)

x39 mags have improved, but the ammo is still pretty inaccurate (AR is a VERY accurate platform), that is unless you reload. If you do, though, you can do better with 6.8 or 6.5.

Spend some time reading and discussing here, you'll get a good education.

A few things that will help us a lot in determining a good fit for you:

*budget
*primarily optics or iron sights ?
*distance of your local range?
*distances you'd like to be able to shoot effectively?
*maximum distances?
*positions you most frequently shoot? (bench, prone, field, on the move?)
*will you carry your gun often?
*any duty work?
*will you hunt? for what?

My suggestion is to just DROS an OLL ASAP and then use the 10 days to find out what to build it up with. There are marginal differences between lowers that essentially make them the same. Just pick a logo or finish you like.

80YardShot
10-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Ideally I wanted to feel and look of an AR with a little more takedown power than a 5.56. The more I read about 7.62x39 the more I don't want one. I'd like to stick to a very common round, so I'd like to avoid 6.5, etc.

In regards to what I want, I'm undecided on a lot and am getting recommendations from friends and now the CalGuns community. I'll do my best to answer your questions:

*budget - I'm hoping I can keep it at $2,000 with optics. Is that about right for a something I can be proud of and hand down to the kids? I don't have many firearms, so I like the ones I do have to be really nice.

*primarily optics or iron sights ? Either iron sights or a Reflex with no magnification

*distance of your local range? As far as I need

*distances you'd like to be able to shoot effectively? 25-100 yards

*maximum distances? 200 yards.. maybe. I've got a .300 winmag if I want to reach out any further

*positions you most frequently shoot? (bench, prone, field, on the move?) This one is definately for on the move and field.

*will you carry your gun often? i'd like it to be as light as possble

*any duty work? Nope, but I really like the tactical look and feel.

*will you hunt? for what? At most I'm going to help my buddy out with varmit problems on his ranch. This might be a little mean, but I usually destroy them with the .300

And I'm sorry, what does "DROS an OLL ASAP" mean (sorry, I'm a newbie).

nobs11
10-31-2008, 12:50 AM
What is your application? Hunting?

The 5.56 has enough take down power with the right ammo for most purposes. Easily accurate upto 200 yards and beyond.

You can build a 308 AR but that will very likely cost you more than $2k after optics when all is said and done. It won't be light and will mostly a bench gun. A 308 is a long range precision platform and you don't need it if you plan to shoot 25-100yd.

"DROS an OLL" means that you should go to a friendly gun store/FFL who understands and will handle off list AR lower receivers and start the transfer process for one. There is a 10 day wait + fees.

Look into the 5.56/223 AR and then move up if you decide that is not good enough for you.

If you want something with more stopping power than an AR, have you looked into a M1A? A SOCOM or a SOCOMII? If will be cheaper than a 308 AR and it will do everything that you said you want. It will NOT be a varmint gun. But 25-100yd are not varmint hunting distances.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 8:16 AM
Here's an acronym thread ;)
http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78606

DROS is the paperwork for purchase of a firearm. OLL = off list lower, which is the receiver for the AR. ASAP = NOW! ;)

Can you use magnetic ammunition at your local range? If so, the 7.62x39 (or even 5.45x39) is a good option - as it's cheap. However, the NATO 5.56 standard is still a great choice for flexibility and usability.

For what you're doing you'd be good with a 16" build. Read through the thread in my signature. If you're thinking x39 builds, look at S&W. For 5.56, go BCM. With those you're maxing out on quality, will easily keep it under your budget, and will get an extremely reliable, top-notch rifle.

Thanks for all the responses. Ideally I wanted to feel and look of an AR with a little more takedown power than a 5.56. The more I read about 7.62x39 the more I don't want one. I'd like to stick to a very common round, so I'd like to avoid 6.5, etc.

In regards to what I want, I'm undecided on a lot and am getting recommendations from friends and now the CalGuns community. I'll do my best to answer your questions:

*budget - I'm hoping I can keep it at $2,000 with optics. Is that about right for a something I can be proud of and hand down to the kids? I don't have many firearms, so I like the ones I do have to be really nice.

*primarily optics or iron sights ? Either iron sights or a Reflex with no magnification

*maximum distances? 200 yards.. maybe. I've got a .300 winmag if I want to reach out any further

*positions you most frequently shoot? (bench, prone, field, on the move?) This one is definately for on the move and field.

*will you hunt? for what? At most I'm going to help my buddy out with varmit problems on his ranch. This might be a little mean, but I usually destroy them with the .300

optimus-primer
10-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Dont know about three-niners but you can get Sabre lowers for $120-130 bucks not counting shipping, dros and other FLL fees. They are nice lowers but the finish isnt flashy like a Wilson.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Dont know about three-niners but you can get Sabre lowers for $120-130 bucks not counting shipping, dros and other FLL fees. They are nice lowers but the finish isnt flashy like a Wilson.

Sabre stripped lowers are pretty ugly... they use a dot method for their engraving. Looks horrible.

STRT RACR
10-31-2008, 2:06 PM
why not try the 6.8 spc

ElvenSoul
10-31-2008, 2:24 PM

have you looked at a AR in 6.8SPC

got even more punch than 7.62x39

aplinker
10-31-2008, 4:46 PM
have you looked at a AR in 6.8SPC

got even more punch than 7.62x39

Ammo is more expensive, less available, no cheap options available at all.

Unless you reload it's not really a great choice for his "only" AR.

M. Sage
11-01-2008, 1:00 AM
Building an AR lower is very easy and should take about 30-45 min if you are new. 15 min if you are seasoned. Any lower will work. Just DROS a lower, buy a lower parts kit, bullet button and a buttstock kit and that's that.

Get a Sabre upper, slap it on and call it a day.

Building an AR is not like building an AK. A 14 year old can do it.

A lot easier than going thru the hassle of trying to talk someone into installing a bullet button on a complete AR. Also cheaper.

Or an MMG. I'd much rather have the MMG for the detachable mags!

Yes, a 14 year old can build an AR and not an AK but a 14 year old has a much easier time fielding and maintaining an AK. :p

80YardShot
11-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all of the posts.

Any recommendations for a good dealer to purchase the lower in the Orange County area?

aplinker
11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all of the posts.

Any recommendations for a good dealer to purchase the lower in the Orange County area?

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124678

J&J Armory (but if they give you BS about needing a Prince50 instead of a bullet button, I swear I'm never recommending them again)

Ade's

Ammo Bros.