PDA

View Full Version : Who says there are no good deals at Turner's?

Glock_XXI
10-30-2008, 7:32 AM
I went in yesterday for a box of ammo and happened to browse their consignment case and spotted a super clean 2nd gen. Glock 17 for $375. This thing is in excellent shape and looks like it was hardly shot.

I wasn't really in the market for anything, but this was such a good deal that I had to act fast.:)

For the record there are tons of people on here that hate Turner's, but personally I have never had a problem with them and wanted to share a positive experience I had with them.

BTF/PTM
10-30-2008, 7:51 AM
I stop at my local Turner's at least once a month to browse & talk to the guys, I've never had any problems with them. Good folks, good prices.

Fantasma
10-30-2008, 7:54 AM
Some are exaggerated claims, i don't pay attention to it. They sell guns so they get a +1 from me.

Oldnoob
10-30-2008, 7:54 AM
I had never hate turner's, yes their clerks aren't knowledgeable but they are less likely be snobby like most gun shop clerks elsewhere. Their price is always high, and the weekly specials are only acceptable price IMO. I don't like some of their store polices but it's their store, polices are there to cover their behind.

tmuller
10-30-2008, 8:06 AM
I've never had a bad experience at Turners, but I've only been there 3 or 4 times. Great deal tho:gun_bandana:

PolishMike
10-30-2008, 8:09 AM
I won't support any gun shop that does not support its customers. No OLLs? None of my money.

subin
10-30-2008, 8:13 AM
If you don't already know, you can sign up to receive their weekly special via email at the link below.
http://turners.com/engage/subscriptions.php
I picked up the XD-45 (dark earth) for $499 last month.

BTF/PTM
10-30-2008, 8:14 AM
I won't support any gun shop that does not support its customers. No OLLs? None of my money.
what's an OLL?

groovielou
10-30-2008, 8:17 AM
Just picked up a Bersa Thunder 380 from the Chino Hills store. 99% of the time there are some pretty cool people in there.

One time I went to inquire about some ammo and got a couple of younger kids that were obviously not interested in the whole "gun" thing. They spent most of the time I was there ignoring me and talking about Myspace.. LOL

Lou

RedDawn
10-30-2008, 8:20 AM
what's an OLL?

OLL: Off List Lower, pertains to rifles.
Do a search on this site for more information.;)

One time I went to inquire about some ammo and got a couple of younger kids that were obviously not interested in the whole "gun" thing. They spent most of the time I was there ignoring me and talking about Myspace.. LOL

Lou

It seems to be the trend at the Turners I visit.

I went in yesterday for a box of ammo and happened to browse their consignment case and spotted a super clean 2nd gen. Glock 17 for $375. This thing is in excellent shape and looks like it was hardly shot.

Congrats on the deal, which Turners did you visit?
I usually see some nice deals at the Norwalk location.

pullnshoot25
10-30-2008, 8:27 AM
I go in there from time to time to ogle the guns and see if the guys at the gun counter know what they are talking about.

It is always fun doing that to the Big-5 crowd as well.

Glock_XXI
10-30-2008, 8:38 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the OP. It was the Fountain Valley Turners.

Slayer
10-30-2008, 9:30 AM
Turners has good prices, it's their employees that drive people away. They have no clue about CA gun laws, spread FUD and flat out lie about guns.

valleyguy
10-30-2008, 9:47 AM
I dislike Turners because they are a gun store, yet are very sparse on the gun accessories (at least here at the Reseda store) and not terribly helpful unless you're going to buy a gun from them at that exact moment. Other stores see the light about supporting a customer's needs, building loyalty, and then getting that sale because the customer spends every $ already in that store and gets to know the staff. It just good business sense as well to keep your stocks up (boresnakes, targets, range bags, cleaning kits) because accessories can often really boost a sale's value to your store. I don't know about the other Turner stores, and how well they are run.

Case in point -- I used to buy Radio Scanners from Radio Shack. I had a good relationship with the manager of my local store, and as a result, literally dropped thousands of $s with him in both accessories and scanners. He got me great deals, let me know when the sales were, and made sure I didn't buy crap I didn't need or stuff that would screw up my purchase. This is how business is done at successful stores and small businesses. Good customer service and well-stocked stores = business success and lots of sales.

Greg-Dawg
10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Good for you, but I still hate Turners.

The SoCal Gunner
10-30-2008, 11:35 AM
I go there for guns and not the talk. I don't know their policy but their employees shouldn't preach laws they aren't knowledgeable about.

I've bought a few guns from them new and on consignment. Done a few PPTs, some were slow and some were fast. Got a box of ammo thrown in for my first purchase in the Pasadena store.

mike100
10-30-2008, 11:44 AM
You don't have to like any gunstore in CA, but since 'the list' makes getting older or newer unapproved handguns difficult, I will buy from anybody if I find something I want on consignment for a good price.

civilsnake
10-30-2008, 12:06 PM
I've only ever dealt with the Pasadena Turners, and to be quite honest, they've always been pretty helpful and attentive. Even when I was first looking into a new pistol they were totally cool with me getting my hands on damn near everything in stock. I came back several times and they were always helpful and typically knowledgable. The only reason I didn't buy from them was that they wouldn't make a deal on a P226. The manager said that the demand was high enough that if I didn't buy it at full price, someone else would. So I went and bought it somewhere else and saved $70.

I do still go there for occasional ammo and supply purchases.

22popnsplat
10-30-2008, 2:24 PM
I have had as many negative encounters as I have positive with turners , Most of the time it is due to the lack of knowledge on the part of the staff and their lack of interest in finding out .
I once walked in with cash to buy a gun that needed to be ordered and the store manager was of no help , I went to the V.P. at corporate and he spoke with the manager and instructed him to order it . He never did and I ended up buying it elswere .
Next time you buy a gun there look closely at the paperwork and you will find a Hidden $5 handling fee , To me when you are in the business of selling a product this is just another way of Jacking someone for $5 .
I still use them for there online gunrack and you can sometimes find a decent deal that way but to me they are otherwise useless

Bruce3
10-30-2008, 3:34 PM

I wasn't really in the market for anything, but this was such a good deal that I had to act fast.:)

For the record there are tons of people on here that hate Turner's, but personally I have never had a problem with them and wanted to share a positive experience I had with them.

were you at the fountain valley store? i think i saw the same one, there was a guy who was looking at that and a smith and wesson.

Black Majik
10-30-2008, 5:41 PM
Hey, I totally agree! Sometimes there are decent deals to be had. I just snagged a pre-lock Smith & Wesson 3" Model 65-5 in excellent condition for $399 at the CH store. It wasn't even on the consignment shelf for 24 hours. No flame cutting, tight lockup, good timing and sharp forcing cone. Also, the -5 transitioned to MIM trigger, this one has a non-MIM trigger. Didn't seem to be shot much at all. $400 seems to be a decent deal for a 3" prelock M65 even in the free states, especially since 3" K-frames are getting harder to find.

Best part, FREE DROS due to the sale coming up.

Yay! :D

CSACANNONEER
10-30-2008, 6:11 PM
I've got some good deals there too. But in the longrun, I've paid for them with the time they stole from me while doing paperwork and/or picking up guns. The last gun I bought from them was a brand new 10-22 for $139 + DROS + extra "handling fee". It took me over an hour to "buy it" and over TWO hours to pick it up! The guy that helped (if you call it that) me when I picked it up had no clue about firearms and just wanted to work in the fishing dept. So, if you include the three hours of my time plus the time to drive there (not to mention the gas), it would have been cheaper for me to buy it at full retail! I don't have that kind of time to waste waiting for a Turner's employee to find the id10t form he thinks he needs to fill out.

shoupdawg
10-30-2008, 6:23 PM
They had one deal that I was too slow on...CZ .22lr for 250 at their pasadena store.

Now on to my latest gripe...I am still waiting for a rifle I bought and paid a down payment on. It was a marlin 60ssk .22lr from another (not my local reseda) store that was supposed to be shipped to the Reseda store. I called them a couple of weeks ago the night I was supposed to pick it up and they apparently sent the wrong gun. I called tonight and they still couldn't find it. So I just straight up asked the guy, "did you sell it to someone else?" as I'm thinking this is what happened. He kinda stumbled and said, "Uh, I don't really know sir." I left my number and he still hasn't called. Going in on Saturday to talk to a manager, but I guess I'm just gonna probably have to fight for my deposit back.

Wish me luck!

Moonclip
10-30-2008, 7:21 PM

I find that Norwalk generally has the consignments priced very high. Turners generally =FUD

Richard, nice deal on the 65-5, I got one like that NIB in 1996 for $300. I gave it to a family friend though. Since when have you got the older S&W revolver thing going?:)

Black Majik
10-30-2008, 7:24 PM
Richard, nice deal on the 65-5, I got one like that NIB in 1996 for $300. I gave it to a family friend though. Since when have you got the older S&W revolver thing going?:)

I have no idea. It just... kinda happened. :D

blackbox
10-30-2008, 9:12 PM
+1 for the pasadena turners.... They've got a few guys working there who have a clue.

concentric
10-31-2008, 8:29 AM
FV Turner's was a lot better before they decreased all their stock of reloading accessories, magazines, holsters, ammo and other stuff. If I wanted to stare at acres of Realtree camo, I'd visit Tennessee.

kermit315
10-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Just got off the phone with the Reseda store. I have a habit of before I go in to pick up something I DROS'ed of calling the store the day before to find out if I need to bring anything in (since I am military and have only had one DROS go right for me the first time). Talked to a guy on the phone who sounded like a major *** for even suggesting they might have messed up. I swear if I drive down there to pick that pistol up and they turn me away because they need more info, I am talking to the manager about them reimbursing me for my gas, its not exactly a short trip.

valleyguy
10-31-2008, 1:22 PM
That's the Reseda store for ya! :cool2:

phil conrad
10-31-2008, 4:58 PM
It just depends. Today I had a very positve experience at the San Marcos store. I scored a pre lock Smith 2 1/2 686 for $350.00. They were very helpful to me. I asked if they would hold it untill I could look at it. It was no problem. I had to drive all the way from Santa Clarita so I wanted to be sure it was there. It was:):)

Moonclip
11-01-2008, 2:12 AM
Worst of the bunch has been Reseda for me, some of the worst experiences I have ever had in a gunshop. Good catch on the 686, I had a friend interested in it. I'm surprised one of their friends was not called 1st about it.

Turners needs a set policy on holding guns for someone that calls, IIRC Reseda only does it for their buddies...