PDA

View Full Version : Propper buffer and spring for UBR

snaggletooth
10-30-2008, 3:41 AM
I tried to search but I was just seeing a bunch of threads on buffers or the UBR but nothing that really would help me with what worked best. I have a 16" mid-length recce and was wondering what would work best? Would a carbine spring and H-buffer do the trick?

Lateralus
10-30-2008, 5:25 AM
I tried to search but I was just seeing a bunch of threads on buffers or the UBR but nothing that really would help me with what worked best. I have a 16" mid-length recce and was wondering what would work best? Would a carbine spring and H-buffer do the trick?

Bingo. I run a heavy buffer in my carbine and it noticeably slows down the action and increases brass life if you reload. Stock up and your good to go.

NVM. just read that you are running a mid-length. Get the carbine spring and buffer. I dont have any first hand experience, but Im pretty sure a heavier one wont make much of a difference.

aplinker
10-30-2008, 9:44 AM
You don't need to use an H-buffer with a mid-length. Carbine fixes are for carbines. :)

snaggletooth
10-30-2008, 1:27 PM
But I do need the carbine spring right? Getting the carbine buffer is awesome I just saved 11 bucks, thats like a geico, but only better cuz I don't have to deal with any claim adjustors or cavemen. I just saved a ton of money by going to calguns, thanks calguns. lol

GTXR390
10-30-2008, 4:27 PM
so if i have a 20" rifle length gas system...i'd use the standarad A2 buffer and spring with the UBR stock?

aplinker
10-30-2008, 5:20 PM
I'm not sure I understand... the UBR comes with its own stock extension, buffer and spring.

It's essentially an "entry stock" extension, which is shaped like an A2, but is the length of the carbine.

"Carbine" is a term applied to many things with ARs - complete rifles, gas system, stock extensions, stocks, buffers... It's tough to keep them straight, but you do NOT match the spring and buffer to the gas system. You match it to the stock type. Carbine sized extensions (lengths) get carbine parts, while rifle stock extensions get the rifle spring and buffer.

snaggletooth
10-30-2008, 7:53 PM
Nope, my UBR did not come with a spring and buffer sadly.

dlouie87
10-30-2008, 7:55 PM
for a 20'' rifle length or 18'' midlength...would i need a Heavy buffer?

aplinker
10-31-2008, 7:24 AM
for a 20'' rifle length or 18'' midlength...would i need a Heavy buffer?

heavy buffers are for overgassed rifles. Carbines and short gas systems tend to have this, especially over time.