PDA

View Full Version : AK Jamming Issue

SBOldMan
10-29-2008, 7:26 PM
My AK build is having serious jamming issues! Can someone offer some advice/suggestions please. My first thought is that the mags are not sitting high enough. How do I remedy that, if it is the issue... Can I just cut part of the mag release/trigger gaurd away as shown in the first image?

http://www.knappfamily.com/magrelease.jpg

The bolt does not hit the cartridge on the back to guide it into place. Sometimes it missed the cartridge all together, but usually it just hits it and manages to shove it forward a little bit and jam against it. Image shows the bolt jammed into cartridge-

http://www.knappfamily.com/jam.jpg

Please help!!!

TonyM
10-29-2008, 7:55 PM
1. Does your mag lock into the receiver with the mag catch?

If so, don't cut anything.

2. Are you riding the bolt forward with your hand?

Use a dummy round and just let the bolt go from fully open. does the round end up in the chamber? If you are using a live round (which I recommend you don't) at least remove your firing pin before trying to chamber a round at home.

You also need to clean the hell outta that thing, see all the cosmo on the bolt? get rid of that. be liberal with the brake cleaner.

GenLee
10-29-2008, 8:13 PM
Drop mag, Replace mag. Does this help? Replace mag again. As Tony said, The cosmoline is thick, Clean well and try a different mag or two and get back with us.

JeffM
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
+1 to what's been said above. If cleaning and changing mags doesn't work:

Since the trigger guard/mag catch is held with screws (well, make sure they're not loose first, but barring that) you could take off and thin the safety selector stop a little at a time, testing as you go.

If it's a flat build (doesn't look like it, but I'll cover this anyway) the mag release area highlighted in your picture doesn't always get smashed flat in the jig. Place one end of a punch between the lines in the pic and give it a good whack with a hammer. It might raise that are of the receiver just high enough to lift the mag/bolt interface to the correct height.

The same problem occurs if the top rails on a flat are not bent down enough (Very common with Tapco flats w/pre-bent rails). They may need to be bent down a bit more.

As stated before, make sure you use plenty of magazines to check the function with. Most semi-auto malfunctions stem from bad mags.

motorhead
10-30-2008, 3:11 AM
#1 do all mag fitting with steel mags. several different ones. NO U.S.!
check mag stabilizer rails, especially ak builder flats, they need trimming.
you do file the area shown if everything else is in spec. do very little at a time and check fit. you can't put the metal back and selector stops are drying up.