PDA

View Full Version : So I spay painted camo on my SAIGA .223! (pics)

1lostinspace
10-29-2008, 6:16 PM
So I finally did it, I know its kind of getto but when I tested out in the fields it worked really good!

(warning this picture was taken in Las Vegas not California)

URBAN (ACU)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/100_1043.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/100_1044.jpg

Second can job (MARPAT)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/100_1053.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/100_1048.jpg

aplinker
10-29-2008, 6:33 PM
Looks like the fingerpainting my 2yr old nephew does.

What's with the Las Vegas disclaimer? :confused:

1lostinspace
10-29-2008, 6:35 PM

there is 30rounder in it and finger painted or not it blends in good;)

aplinker
10-29-2008, 6:38 PM
there is 30rounder in it and finger painted or not it blends in good;)

So you did 922(r) conversions to allow the use of hi-caps out of state, but didn't bother to do it for AK mags which, IIRC, you have said you have?

1lostinspace
10-29-2008, 6:43 PM
So you did 922(r) conversions to allow the use of hi-caps out of state, but didn't bother to do it for AK mags which, IIRC, you have said you have?

it is 922r compliant and those are .223 mags the pre ban mags i have are 7.62x39 so i take it you don't like it

professorhard
10-29-2008, 7:00 PM
I think it looks cool. Pretty good job with just some spray paint

1lostinspace
10-29-2008, 7:12 PM
I think it looks cool. Pretty good job with just some spray paint

thanks bro

Capt Jack
10-29-2008, 7:30 PM
For a home-brew job, I think it looks pretty good! I can see it breaking up the rifle's profile pretty well if you needed to go camo for whatever reason!

aplinker
10-29-2008, 7:32 PM
it is 922r compliant and those are .223 mags the pre ban mags i have are 7.62x39 so i take it you don't like it

Nah, just being a hard-***...

It could use some blending. Add another color and use bigger sprays. Now it just looks like you sponged onto a single layer. Also, the pattern is... well... a pattern. Camo should be more random.

NeoWeird
10-29-2008, 7:37 PM
For a home job it's decent. It's not as bad as bubba, but it does look like a home job. For a DIY or first time, I'm impressed it isn't butchered up something awful, so take that as a compliment (especially since it's probably better than I would have done had I done the same thing).

Still, doesn't partial camo actually make it WORSE than full camo or none? Something about the black attracts the eye and the distinct lines of paint/no-paint draw the eye more naturally than the "fading" edges of the rifle as it wraps around to the other side.

Fantasma
10-29-2008, 9:48 PM
What kind of mag is that? surefire? or did you convert it to accept some type of .223 mag?

JeffM
10-29-2008, 9:50 PM
Still, doesn't partial camo actually make it WORSE than full camo or none? Something about the black attracts the eye and the distinct lines of paint/no-paint draw the eye more naturally than the "fading" edges of the rifle as it wraps around to the other side.

The human eye seems to be more attuned to pick up shape more than color, so the partial camo can actually do a better job of breaking up the outline.

Depending on the background and the pattern, even a full camouflaged rifle looks like, well, a rifle.

A partly camo'd rifle, like this one, on a wider range of backgrounds makes the eye go "WTF?"

It's a good job, but yea, bigger spray or more colors/random would make it great.

Any way to get a pic of the rifle in the environment you use it in?

M. Sage
10-29-2008, 9:53 PM
For a home job it's decent. It's not as bad as bubba, but it does look like a home job. For a DIY or first time, I'm impressed it isn't butchered up something awful, so take that as a compliment (especially since it's probably better than I would have done had I done the same thing).

I agree. Not much point in doing a camo job unless you hit the whole rifle.

Doheny
10-29-2008, 9:56 PM
Urban camo...I like it. Good job.

chsk9
10-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Looks like something the Cubans had in Red October!

Sydwaiz
10-30-2008, 6:11 AM
Cool, now spray the rest!

stphnman20
10-30-2008, 6:29 AM
It's ok.. But I have to agree with the rest on doing the whole rifle..

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 7:34 AM
What kind of mag is that? surefire? or did you convert it to accept some type of .223 mag?

the are saiga promags and if I could back I would have not bought them, the bullet guide on them kept breaking off forcing me to convert it to take regular mags. They feed reliably but you have to stay with COL of 2.20 it does not heed longer bullets like 75-77gr well.

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 7:36 AM
Cool, now spray the rest!

I am afraid to, I run it hot and don't know if the paint will hold up or start smoking:eek:

valleyguy
10-30-2008, 7:43 AM
Ouch, are you guys this frank/honest when your wife asks if she looks fat in that dress? :whistling:

I think it looks great.

xrMike
10-30-2008, 7:50 AM
Awww man, what'd you go and do that for?????

Is this the Saiga you were looking to trade straight across for an AK? I was seriously considering your offer, and was just about ready to PM you, but now that you painted it, I don't know...

I really had my heart set on an all-black saiga. :D

Fantasma
10-30-2008, 7:57 AM
Yeah Pro Mag never had good mags, they are reported to not work so good on saigas and people advise to stay away from them and buy SureFire which work 100%

i am wanting to buy like 4 of the 30 rounders and keeping them as parts if one day something bad happens then i would use them for SHTF.

tmuller
10-30-2008, 1:14 PM
Good paint job for a home brew...better than I could've done.

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2008, 2:42 PM

Dude, why are you talking it down, the idea is to break up the lines on the gun and further more, I doubt any 2 year old can airbrush or rattle can like that.

Great job dude, like it, what did you use to mask it, looks like puzzle pieces?

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 2:45 PM
Dude, why are you talking crap, the idea is to break up the lines on the gun and further more, I doubt any 2 year old can airbrush or rattle can like that.

Great job dude, like it, what did you use to mask it, looks like puzzle pieces?

thanks

I painted the whole thing light brown then I cut out little squares with an exact o knife and then sprayed again green and dark brown, I did another one in MARPAT look above at the pics again

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2008, 2:47 PM
thanks

I painted the whole thing light brown then I cut out little squares with an exact o knife and then sprayed again green and dark brown, I did another one in MARPAT look above at the pics again

Oh man, love the MARPAT, great job, wish I had the balls.

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 2:52 PM
Oh man, love the MARPAT, great job, wish I had the balls.

lol I know I did alot of testing on other plastics and metal, you have to take the gun apart and if you mess up hey you can always buy another plastic stock it couldn't cost that much, now I don't have the guts to do the barrel and receiver I think it would start to smoke bad if I ran the gun hard

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2008, 3:04 PM
lol I know I did alot of testing on other plastics and metal, you have to take the gun apart and if you mess up hey you can always buy another plastic stock it couldn't cost that much, now I don't have the guts to do the barrel and receiver I think it would start to smoke bad if I ran the gun hard

My nephew painted his M240 (he was in Iraq) and said that the barrel will burn the paint off in time, just repaint. He also said it looks like crap up close, but it is not a show gun, it's a tool. BTW, he showed me some pics from there he took, CNN has it all wrong, God Bless our Troops and pray it doesn't get worse.

aplinker
10-30-2008, 4:15 PM
The MARPAT looks better. Do the rest of the gun.

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 5:24 PM
The MARPAT looks better. Do the rest of the gun.

I think I ll do the reciever but not the barrel or gas tube it will get hot and start to smoke

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 8:00 PM
has anyone here painted their gun barrel? did it smoke when fired?

Infidel
10-30-2008, 9:07 PM
As long as you like I wouldn't listen to any of these guys. I personally think you did a good job definitely better than what I could have done.

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2008, 9:12 PM
has anyone here painted their gun barrel? did it smoke when fired?

I asked my nephew about the smoke from the barrel of his M240 he painted, he just laughed. There is smoke from the M240 barrel paint or no paint, but seriously, he said there was smoke for about 2-3 minutes then flames, just kidding about the flames. He says he really didn't notice it at first, till the smell, was different than he was use to.

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 9:59 PM
I asked my nephew about the smoke from the barrel of his M240 he painted, he just laughed. There is smoke from the M240 barrel paint or no paint, but seriously, he said there was smoke for about 2-3 minutes then flames, just kidding about the flames. He says he really didn't notice it at first, till the smell, was different than he was use to.

:D the flame joke was too funny. I am too scared to do it, the plastic parts even the dust cover are nothing well I did paint my Bushnell trophy ,maybe Ill do the receiver and gas cover I don't think doing the barrel is a good idea

1lostinspace
10-30-2008, 10:05 PM
As long as you like I wouldn't listen to any of these guys. I personally think you did a good job definitely better than what I could have done.
Glock 23, Stag 15, AK-47 (WASR-10), Mossberg 500ATP (Modified), BOHICA .510DTC (ordered), Superior Arms AR with Ciener Conversion, Ruger 10/22

hey you have good taste in guns