PDA

View Full Version : Has this been done yet: AR w/Socom Stock + U15 type grip?

AlexDD
10-29-2008, 5:16 PM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/ChocLab1/SocomAR15v2.jpg?t=1225328761

Was wondering has this been explored yet? Didn't find on my search. Would it allow for detachable magazines (i.e. non pistol grip status)?

I understand there would be a bunch of cons ($) but would like to hear the forum's thoughts.

I have some rifles with MMG's but haven't shot one yet with a U15.

aplinker
10-29-2008, 6:21 PM
What's the point? You'd have to fix the collapsible stock. You'd also need to extend the grip out to be sure you couldn't get the web of the hand below it.

You're basically reinventing the U-15. It would cost more to do this, too.

devildog999
10-29-2008, 8:26 PM
What's the point? You'd have to fix the collapsible stock. You'd also need to extend the grip out to be sure you couldn't get the web of the hand below it.

You're basically reinventing the U-15. It would cost more to do this, too.

I think it works well. You don't have that stupid retarded look of the U 15 with the buffer sticking out and your hand going under it then having the U 15 for the stock. You still get to have the basic feel of a pistol grip without using one and have a mag release. No weird feeling of the MMG either so that you can use basic stock. Good idea, assuming it's legal.

JagerTroop
10-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Why wouldn't it be legal? By definition, it's not a pistol grip, and it doesn't connect to the stock, so it's not a thumbhole. I think it would look good. I've been doing the same thing for a while, with a MMG and a pinned CAR stock. The MMG is a little uncomfortable, but I can't justify spending the cash on a U 15 just to hack it up.
If you like it... and it's legal (it is by definition) then run with it.

stag6.8
10-29-2008, 11:31 PM
before you try to hack up a u-15 try shooting with one first and see if you like it.....or dont like it....since you stated that you never tried shooting with a u-15 stock:detective:

kdm
10-30-2008, 8:13 AM
I don't know...in my little mind, this might be pushing it legally.

Using a U-15, the buttstock is integral with the hand hold...all one piece. I can see someone calling the cut-down U-15 a pistol grip, as there is a separate buttstock that is held against the shoulder.

Jicko
10-30-2008, 8:36 AM
1) you have to FIX the SOCOM stock, for one. But the length of pull in your picture is REALLY uncomfortable.... FYI

2) you can hack up a MMG too, which is cheaper than a U-15 to begin with;

Hopi
10-30-2008, 8:56 AM
2) you can hack up a MMG too, which is cheaper than a U-15 to begin with;

+1.

I'm experimenting with the same setup; a fixed m4 stock and cut MMG. The web of the hand does not fall below the imaginary line.

apbrian112
10-30-2008, 1:07 PM
+1.

I'm experimenting with the same setup; a fixed m4 stock and cut MMG. The web of the hand does not fall below the imaginary line.

yup, i did this as well. dremel solves all (well a dremel, duct tape, and a lighter :p)

i'll be fielding it at the next x3 match at piru. it gives me more control vs. the standard MMG and is still legal.