PDA

View Full Version : primers is hazardous, but ammo is not?

nidm
01-02-2017, 10:46 AM
shipping reload primers is required for hazardous charge since it is dangers. I am just curious why ammo is considering safer than primers?

WMG
01-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Because it is of my own opinion that ...... some of the folks who come up with this stuff don't know whether they are punched or bored

bubbala
01-02-2017, 12:10 PM
i used to think you could put a primer and a plastic bullet in a pound bottle and avoid a hazmat fee, but they've got that covered too.:facepalm:

therealnickb
01-02-2017, 1:58 PM
shipping reload primers is required for hazardous charge since it is dangers. I am just curious why ammo is considering safer than primers?

Primers are explosives. A box of primers has a high concentration of said explosive.

Ammo powder isn't explosive. And the contained primers are separated from each other. There are a lot less in a box too.

That's my uneducated opinion.....

Malthusian
01-02-2017, 2:40 PM
Years ago, UPS had a shipment of Federal primers detonant, this was before the days of the internet. Sometime around the late 80's, early 90's

I remember going to buy my $10 a box primers and the box had grown in size

Hazmat came latter. I don't know when Hazmat started. Highroad forum claims a UPS driver was killed in 2015 during a traffic accident, but the packages were already larger and Hazmat was already in force...their account does not a reference source. I don't have a quotable source other than having to pay more for a larger red box when the packaging was changed.. ohh and the price went up to $11. That was highway robbery

That is why to this day Federal Primers are in the huge boxes, evidently Remington Primers are safer, those primer boxes are the smallest and stack really nicely

Nobody disputes that Federals are more sensitive

Gun powder is a propellant

gogohopper
01-02-2017, 2:54 PM
Primers is hazardous ?

Reading is fundamental......

nidm
01-02-2017, 8:30 PM
Primers are explosives. A box of primers has a high concentration of said explosive.

Ammo powder isn't explosive. And the contained primers are separated from each other. There are a lot less in a box too.

That's my uneducated opinion.....

that is also the only case i can guess too.

JagerDog
01-02-2017, 9:15 PM
Sympathetic firing of primers vs. ammo.

ORNGXTC
01-02-2017, 9:43 PM
But yet you can order primed cases by the hundreds or thousand and not pay hazmat.
Go figure?

DarkKing
01-02-2017, 10:30 PM
But yet you can order primed cases by the hundreds or thousand and not pay hazmat.
Go figure?

JagerDog got it right. In a case where loaded ammo is if it goes off it likely just pops one. but in Caps there is sympathetic explosion. IE if one goes off it is easy for the next and thent he next. the more you have going off the higher the risk you can set off more of the same item even if its in a separate sleeve. IE there is MASSIVE warnings on my lee pro 1000 progressive press about it.

This is the real danger.